Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission question for the guys that know

Old 04-29-2019, 11:07 PM
wickerbill
Junior User
wickerbill is starting off with a positive reputation.
I also pull a 16 foot trailer with around 5 to 6 thousand pounds on it. How much temp should I expect if it's running 150 degrees empty. Will it be over 200 degrees. I know it's hard to estimate something like this but I don't want to tear up or overheat my tranny if I can help it

Old 04-30-2019, 07:49 AM
billybobofkf
Senior User
billybobofkf is starting off with a positive reputation.
My truck runs under 165 degrees empty on a 75 degree day. I tow a 5th wheel trailer that is around 10K. I am comfortable keeping the transmission temp under 210 degrees under stressful load. On flat land It will run under 200 degrees on a 90 degree day. Modifications I have made are installing the Oil To Water trans cooler (radiator) and a 6.0 transmission oil cooler. Recently I installed a pair of electric fans behind the transmission cooler to try to control the temperature under heavy loads, climbing mountains and on extremely hot days. If nothing else, I installed the electric fans so that I can pull over on a grade if necessary, let the trans temp cool while idling and be back on the road in 10-15 minutes.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:24 AM
wickerbill
Junior User
I really like the idea of the fans. I live in WV there are plenty of hills around. So that option would be a good addition thanks for the advice

Old 04-30-2019, 07:09 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by wickerbill View Post
what temp should it run at on a 75 degree day
A good rule of thumb is between 70F and 100F above ambient temperature. So in your case anywhere from 145F to 175F is to be expected.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:07 PM
wickerbill
Junior User
I'm guessing that would be when empty. Should it make a lot of difference when pulling a 6000 pound load. I been thinking about putting a fan on my cooler for when pulling to help out on keeping cool.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:10 PM
wickerbill
Junior User
Billybobofkf gave me that idea and sounds like a great idea of helping it keep cool. Just put a fan on it. And might put it on switch or even a thermal switch to set it to kick on around 140 degrees

Old 05-07-2019, 12:40 AM
Bently_Coop
Post Fiend
Bently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by wickerbill View Post
Billybobofkf gave me that idea and sounds like a great idea of helping it keep cool. Just put a fan on it. And might put it on switch or even a thermal switch to set it to kick on around 140 degrees
I would recommend a bit higher as you want the moisture to burn off of the transmission fluid.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:40 AM
billybobofkf
Senior User
billybobofkf is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'll be towing this weekend, but I'm staying on this side of the mountains, so I wont be pulling over any passes. I will comment on the fan system and include a couple of pictures when i get back. I ran two 13" fans on the 6.0 oil cooler. I installed a thermal switch and an override switch mounted in the engine compartment. I wasn't in the mood to run the switch into the cab. The switches turn on a relay that runs the higher amperage load to the fans.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.