Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission question for the guys that know

Old 04-05-2019, 09:49 PM
wickerbill
Junior User
wickerbill is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not the bypass tube ball and spring but the banjo BOLT ball and spring I think it's supposed to hold the oil into the torque converter. But if you have a cooler it should help hold the oil in the torque converter. Shouldn't it? But I been talking to a lot of ford guys around me they don't understand why bottle neck it at that bolt if it doesn't need to be.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:59 PM
wickerbill
Junior User
Does anyone know what the banjo bolt with the spring and ball is supposed to do and what would happen if I just took it out of the banjo bolt. Not the tube itself but the bolt

Old 04-08-2019, 12:52 AM
wickerbill
Junior User
I was hoping someone could tell me about that banjo bolt. Why the spring and ball in the bolt. Can I just remove it. From the bolt. So it won't bottle neck there and let more fluid pass through. I don't think it has much to do with the bypass tube. But it seems like it might hold fluid for the torque converter. But if I start the the truck and let it pump up for a few seconds I don't see the problem in removing it. What you guys think???

Old 04-08-2019, 11:39 AM
Bently_Coop
Post Fiend
Bently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputation
I've been on these Forums for a while and haven't heard of people doing modifications other than cooler upgrades, shift kits or rebuilds. Especially when one of the Engineers for the 4R100 comes ITT to share and you completely disregard what he says.

Either this whole thread is a giant troll or you didn't come hear for real advice and want to confirm your pre planned theory.

Old 04-08-2019, 03:26 PM
wickerbill
Junior User
I never wanted to step on anyone's toes or make anyone angry. The only thing I wanted to do is learn. Not just told what to do but understand why it is the way it is I appreciate all the answers given and have taken it all into consideration. But I feel a day you don't learn something is day wasted and was just wanting an explanation for why ford made a check ball and a spring in two different places to do one thing.i do apologize for coming off rude or not thinking I don't take people's advice. That's never was my intention. Just wanted to learn

Old 04-08-2019, 04:37 PM
super 6.8
Posting Guru
super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.
What it really boils down to is why would Ford go to the trouble and expense to design, manufacture and install those parts if they are not necessary?

Your attempt to re-engineer the system will likely lead to a failure.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:21 PM
wickerbill
Junior User
Ok well you guys win I won't bother you guys with questions any more. I see that you have it figured out and those who don't just isn't worth explaining it to so I am very sorry for making you guys mad and hope you don't think that me asking questions has descuraged you from helping someone else. Sorry to have bothered you

Old 04-09-2019, 04:44 PM
super 6.8
Posting Guru
super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.
Wow! Don't get mad about the whole deal. Be the first one to try and reply back as to how your mods work. It might be good info to learn.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:14 PM
wickerbill
Junior User
I am not mad about anything I just wanted to learn. But I get no explanation behind what has been said. If I can't figure things out on my own then I have no choice but to ask questions that's how I learn. As far as to why a spring and ball was put into banjo bolt I can only assume it's for torque converter to help hold its fluid. But have no proof to back up my claim. I plan on figuring out the best way to keep the trans cooler. I've already ordered the biggest stacked cooler and I've already got the bypass tube. So my plan is to eliminate the spring and ball from the banjo bolt to let more fluid through. The rest I guess I'll figure out as I go and report back as to what I figure out

Old 04-10-2019, 06:26 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
I think you're right, that check ball and spring keep the converter filled. Without it half of the converter is going to drain into the pan when the engine is off. You'll then find some to most of that four quarts on the ground when it leaks out since the trans will be about a gallon over the level it should be at when the engine isn't running. I also expect (I didn't work on this part of the trans) that you will run into pressure problems since you've changed the flow through the converter. But that's just a guess.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:17 PM
wickerbill
Junior User
I got a new banjo bolt when I ordered the new bypass line so I figured there's no real harm in trying it without the check valve. If my pressure drops or I get fluid on the ground just replace with new check valve with the new ball and spring and add some fluid and should be back to normal. I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get a good day and a chance to do it. Thanks

Old 04-11-2019, 07:39 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
If the pressure drops it's going to be inside the torque converter or cooler lines. You don't have a way to measure the pressure in these locations. You just have to hope that if it does drop it doesn't cause a failure.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:49 AM
wickerbill
Junior User
Now you got me worried I thought everything welded up pretty solid on inside of torque converter. I was hoping to put pressure guage on test port and see if anything's changing while I go through the gears while chalked wheels hold me in place. The torque is the pump for transmission. Right?? And as long as it gets fluid should pump. The only thing is will it pump more than what I need or do they have a regulatory set up inside to control fluid as needed or do they try to cram all the fluid in there. ??? Also the cooler shouldn't cave in or suck shut any place should it. I just wanted to see if removing bottle neck banjo bolt spring and ball would help anything. I know from working on hydraulics that you can slow a ram by putting a choke in at inlet of ram to make it slow the drop of boom and any restrictions in return or the feed of pump does cause some heat as well as loss of production. Is a transmission Like a hydraulic pump or a vein pump to actuator type set up??? By the way Mark I never doubt your word I just trying to understand more about inner workings of trannies. And I do thank all of you for your help

Old 04-11-2019, 06:07 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Sam I Am has a very good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a very good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a very good reputation on FTE.
Since no one asked for it, I'll throw my opinion out there.
Your 4R100 has never been known for transmission fluid flow issues. Everything I have read and experienced with them is that what kills them (in stock form) are overheating like backing up parking a camper, and from wearing out clutches from high miles or revving the **** out of it.

It just sounds to me like you are trying to reinvent the wheel so to speak by making configuration changes to the cooling system that are ill-advised and wholly unnecessary.
If you want to safely improve cooling, get a aux cooler from a 5R110 on a 2004 6.0L to replace the stock one on your 99 and send it.

It is good to want to learn, but you are tinkering with stuff that isn't broken and never was.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:58 PM
wickerbill
Junior User
Well I already have a new bypass tube a new cooler the biggest I can find and a new trans heat gauge. But the info from Mark and everyone here is very important too me and someone can explain something too me I don't know. Then that's more important too me. Than just throwing the parts on and just not bothering with it anymore. I love to find out things from people smarter than me and if there willing to share there experience with me then that's what makes these forums great

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.