Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission question for the guys that know

Old 03-29-2019, 12:17 AM
Bently_Coop
Post Fiend
Bently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputation
Scangauge2 is a monitor through the OBD2 port. I had it installed for a couple years, can be purchased at Autozone.

I use to monitor Coolant temp, Intake air temp, transmission temp and voltage. 4 gauges run at a time. It doubles as a code reader. Plenty of other gauges can be used on it, can also monitor fuel consumption/mpg's if you set it up.

I now have a SCT Livewire with 5star tunes and use the Datalog Gauge for monitoring.

If you really want your truck to work Mark K is the guy who helped Engineer/Test the 4R100 in our Trucks for Ford.

Upgrading to the newer Radiator would be much better then removing your bypass/safety feature.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:10 AM
wickerbill
Junior User
wickerbill is starting off with a positive reputation.
?on scanguage2

Will this scan gauge 2 work on older truck like mine it is 1999 basic superduty 4door xl with no extras at all. I would love to be able to monitor all that stuff on mine . it has 238k miles on it and I like to be careful with her but still get my work done??

Old 03-29-2019, 11:52 AM
Bently_Coop
Post Fiend
Bently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by wickerbill View Post
Will this scan gauge 2 work on older truck like mine it is 1999 basic superduty 4door xl with no extras at all. I would love to be able to monitor all that stuff on mine . it has 238k miles on it and I like to be careful with her but still get my work done??
I have a 1999 XLT and it worked fine for me. Do you have an OBD2 port?

Old 03-29-2019, 04:47 PM
super 6.8
Posting Guru
super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop View Post
I have a 1999 XLT and it worked fine for me. Do you have an OBD2 port?
I thought everything after 1996 is OBD2.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:33 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
You're right, everything after 1996 is OBDII.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:36 PM
wickerbill
Junior User
that gauge costs alittle to much for me just to measure my temperature i already have a tuner and a obd2 reader so i really only need a temp gauge so i have found the best place is to put the sensor in the test port but i have to get an adapter for this because of only being 1/8 plug and the usual trans gauge is 1/4 plug. now just gotta find a good (cheaper) gauge that is good to put in. I also ordered a new bypass line to replace the older leaking one so now after the cooler flush and new filter and some good o'l trans fluid i should be able to keep an eye on the heat and see what happens after that. Ill let you guys know how it goes Thanks guys for all the advice I really needed it

Old 03-29-2019, 08:58 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Usually the trans gauge senders are 1/8". It's unusual that your sender is 1/4".

Old 03-29-2019, 09:43 PM
wickerbill
Junior User
I didn;t make myself very clear sorry the port is 1/8 but the gauge i was looking at came with a 1/4 there fore i would have to buy an adapter, but what i was looking for was a sensor type that would screw into check port on trans without a adapter. I think that would work better as to reading temperature in the flow of the test port. I know they make a gauge that has a sensor on it that can screw into a ford 4r100 trans but i cant seem to find it right now. nothing to costly but still of decent quality

Old 03-29-2019, 10:05 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
You were clear. What I sad was that your 1/4" gauge is rare. Most of the gauges are 1/8" and fit the 4R100.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:49 PM
wickerbill
Junior User
The gauge I was looking at in advanced auto was to big to fit the check port so the guy behind counter said most gauges come that size and I would have to buy adapter. I was just going by what the guy said but I'll get a chance tonight to look some up to see what I can come up with that's good quality but reasonably priced

Old 04-02-2019, 07:09 PM
wickerbill
Junior User
the cheapest gauge i could find is glowshift 52.99 with the sender free shipping they seem to be pretty decent has anyone ever used one of these gauges before??

Old 04-02-2019, 07:56 PM
billybobofkf
Senior User
billybobofkf is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post

Run the line from the front of the trans to the radiator cooler, from that cooler to the 6.0L cooler, then from that cooler to the rear of the trans.
This is a piece of advice I missed when I installed my oil coolers. I ran it opposite, pressure line to the air/oil cooler and return line from the radiator oil cooler to the transmission, thinking of gravity to help the flow of the oil, rather then work against gravity. I swapped my lines this past weekend, to the direction that Mark stated. Thanks!

Old 04-05-2019, 01:12 PM
wickerbill
Junior User
Thanks

I'll think about this also. But I was thinking if I put a good cooler on on it and change the bypass tube. Why should I keep the ball and spring in the banjo fitting. Any ideas why this can't be eliminated because the cooler will keep fluid in the tube when parked wouldn't it and it might let a little fluid out of torque converter but once started it just takes a second to fill back up. So help me understand why it's there

Old 04-05-2019, 01:24 PM
wickerbill
Junior User
The banjo fitting has a bolt with a spring and ball. That goes through the banjo fitting it is the one I'm talking about can I just take that spring and ball out??? It'll let a lot more fluid through. And not have any bottle necking

Old 04-05-2019, 09:37 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
You can take the ball and spring out. If you do you may as well eliminate the coolers and save that weight, too. With the ball and spring removed ALL of the flow that should go to the coolers is going to bypass the cooler.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.