Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

3 years, 49,116 miles, 1,759 hours...a review

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 08:23 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
3 years, 49,116 miles, 1,759 hours...a review

Three years ago today I brought the Silver Bullet home. I figured it was time to post a review of my thoughts, ideas and concerns...

The Likes
  • I love the Ecoboost, especially now that I have a travel trailer. The motor is just amazing and pulls like a donkey on fire. I do want to hear more turbo whistle, but that’s a small nit. And Sport mode...oh, how I love thee.
  • Other than the items in my dislike list, I really have been happy with the overall build quality. My seats are wearing nicely and are still comfortable. All the electronics work, including the folding mirrors that I cycle at least once a day. I’ve had no issues with the digital dash, unlike my Explorer. There are no rattles or squeaks anywhere, even though I’m running Load E tire and stiffer shocks. The pushbutton start has always worked and remote start is heaven.
The Dislikes
  • Stync is still my favorite thing to hate on this truck. It reminds me monthly, usually when I’m in a good mood that needs to be crushed, that it’s a POS and in charge. I’ve had the dealership install new hardware and multiple updates and it still doesn’t start/boot a few times a month. I cannot overstate how disgusted I am with Ford and their performance on this system. The 2nd gen system in my Explorer had issues, but each generation seems to be getting worse.
  • My truck spent an excessive amount of time at the dealership last year. At least four trips for multiple recalls, TSBs and Stync issues. While I understand parts fail and recalls are necessary, Ford and the dealerships (I’ve worked with two) are utterly failing the customer. The dealerships don’t care about issues and don’t seem to be interested in doing anything unless I had them a recall notice, a TSB or they can immediately see what part is broken.
There are quite a few items I’d file under “WTF Ford...”, but I’ll save those for other posts...

I guess the biggest question is would I buy another Ford, or even this model F-150 again? Honestly, I don’t know. All the problems last year put me right on the edge of trading it in, but there just isn’t anything else on the market I want. I know other OEMs have issues, but I was at the point of frustration that something needed to change. I need to be able to trust my gear and this truck hasn’t earned my trust. Thankfully, I’m 6 months free and clear from my last service and everything is working (except Stync). If this holds up, my faith in Ford might be restored. What has me really cautious however is I’d like my next truck (in a few years) to be a hybrid or even all electric. Ford really needs to prove it can handle these systems and put the customer first.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:35 PM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by onug
........everything is working (except Stync). If this holds up, my faith in Ford might be restored. What has me really cautious however is I’d like my next truck (in a few years) to be a hybrid or even all electric.
I’m on my first Ford and I do like the truck. Frankly, besides some hiccups with mine, which i can overlook, I really like it. However, with all the problems they have with Sync and electronics.....I wouldn’t even consider a hybrid or all electric Ford. I’m really perplexed that they can’t figure out how to do the electronic bits, but they seem to have the mechanical stuff pretty much figured out.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:49 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
I'm coming up on 4 years with mine (anniversary in early June), and only have about 44,000 miles. Because mine is a 2015, I have the "old" sync. It had a couple of hickups where it would reset itself, but I did a firmware update not too long into the process, and it's been trouble free ever since. While it doesn't have some of the bells and whistles, it does work reliably.

Old 03-26-2019, 01:29 PM
bedwards
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the latest Sync on my 2018 and it has been very solid so far. Since I bought the truck it has not recognized my phone call list maybe twice and one time it booted up with a small screen. Each time a restart of the truck cured all ills.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:23 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

I agree, that Sync3 is problematic and a poor product pushed to market by FORD. It is already outdated and lacks imagination and creativity.

So, on 03/11/2019, my first Sync3 issue. Started truck in the morning getting ready for work...used remote start. Get in truck to drive off...and Sync3 goes blank. The screen was dark and NO buttons/tabs worked, but music SiriusXM was still playing. I continued my drive...and when I got to my first red light. I turned off the truck... opened the driver door and shut it. Turned truck on...and the screen was still stuck. But music still played. So, I drove to work and once in parking lot. Tried the "reboot" again, buy turning off truck and restarting. This time...with the truck off... I opened the door and the screen was still on (see image attached) That was taken with the truck off and the door open.

I let it sit all day...and come out 8hrs later... The screen is now off. So, start truck...and Sync3 booted up and all seemed fine. However, now I get constant notifications from my favorite list if a song/author is playing on a different channel. It will notify me 3 or 4 times. Prior to this glitch, the notification was just once.

biz

Old 03-27-2019, 06:59 PM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
I have had the first gen sync and now sync3. I never had any major problems with sync in my old truck or hybrid fusion. Almost zero problems so far with sync3. Sometimes it won't recognize pandora, but in those instances, I just use the traditional bluetooth and all is well. As far as fear of hybrid fords, do a little research and you'll find they have a pretty incredible track record for reliability. In fact, my 2010 fusion hybrid was traded in with 160k miles, and I only had one issue unrelated to the hybrid system that cost me $800. Other than that, simple oil changes, one plug change and brakes.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:26 PM
onug
Postmaster
Originally Posted by biz4two
However, now I get constant notifications from my favorite list if a song/author is playing on a different channel. It will notify me 3 or 4 times. Prior to this glitch, the notification was just once.

biz
This has been a big problem for me too the past few weeks. I think Sirius pushed an update (I see it updating occasionally) and messed up something in the logic.

Your screen issue is different from mine. My stereo just flat out won’t work at startup. All the other screens function just fine, but not the stereo. No sound or music, but it connects my Bluetooth (which doesn’t work if I get a call). The soft reboot doesn’t work and it takes a number of restarts sometimes to finally clear. And if I go on a long road trip, eventually the phone connectivity just dies. Bluetooth or USB connection, it won’t recognize my phone until a restart. Stupid stuff...

Old 03-27-2019, 10:48 PM
miner999r
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2018 is performing well but I don't have a lot of miles on it. Sync 3 dropped my phone connection but a couple of restarts and all is fine now.

I don't have any of the issues talked about in these forums. The 10 spd trans works flawlessly. 4 WD system works flawlessly (I always unload the gearing when I shift in and out and never shift the 4 WD when under load).

Quiet truck and the 3.5 eco is an amazing motor for it's displacement.

Looking forward to at least 350,000 Kms of trouble free enjoyment.

Only nit pick is I struggle to find the comfort zone with the seats for some strange reason. I had damaged my sciatic nerve a little so that is a very minor aggravation at times.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:02 PM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
I find that my xlt sport seats certainly leave something to be desired in the comfort department. Not to say uncomfortable, just not quite comfortable. Certainly not cushy at all.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:04 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Hahaha yeah I’m torn with Ford as well, it’s a love hate relationship. I love my ‘13 when it does what it’s supposed to do it’s an amazing machine but when things are failing that in my mind that shouldn’t be til at least past a 100k it’s frustrating to say the least...that said I’m still drawn to Ford trucks, it’s just what it is

Old 03-28-2019, 07:24 AM
onug
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jthorngate3
I find that my xlt sport seats certainly leave something to be desired in the comfort department. Not to say uncomfortable, just not quite comfortable. Certainly not cushy at all.
I do think the Lariat seats are very comfortable. I took the family on a 3,600 mile road trip last summer and no one complained on the long drives. But the XLT seats do seem different, which is unfortunate. I’ve sat in a few, including a rental, and never was able to get the seat to a truly comfortable position.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:38 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I appreciate the candid review, thanks.

It amazes me how hit or miss electronic problems can be with the same design. I have a '17 Pacifica, and the forums for that model are covered with people having issues with the uConnect 8.4 system. Mine has been flawless for the year that I've owned it, none of the issues that myriad others with the same year have had. Chrysler is also known for glitchy electronics, and knowing what I know now I'm not sure I would buy the same van again.

Originally Posted by jthorngate3
As far as fear of hybrid fords, do a little research and you'll find they have a pretty incredible track record for reliability. In fact, my 2010 fusion hybrid was traded in with 160k miles, and I only had one issue unrelated to the hybrid system that cost me $800. Other than that, simple oil changes, one plug change and brakes.
Completely agree with Josiah on this one. Ford uses licensed Toyota hybrid technology for the fusion hybrid, and they are known to be absolutely bulletproof. With few exceptions in the mid to thousands, just about everybody has gone with a system based off of the Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive, and they're known for lasting forever. I also have an '06 Prius with 177K, and this thing runs and drives almost identical to my 2013 did when it was brand-new. The car itself has held up better than anything I've ever seen, and the powertrain has been flawless. It's been more reliable than my much newer van has been, which tried to leave me stranded in the middle of the polar vortex last winter.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:29 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

Originally Posted by onug
This has been a big problem for me too the past few weeks. I think Sirius pushed an update (I see it updating occasionally) and messed up something in the logic.

Your screen issue is different from mine. My stereo just flat out won’t work at startup. All the other screens function just fine, but not the stereo. No sound or music, but it connects my Bluetooth (which doesn’t work if I get a call). The soft reboot doesn’t work and it takes a number of restarts sometimes to finally clear. And if I go on a long road trip, eventually the phone connectivity just dies. Bluetooth or USB connection, it won’t recognize my phone until a restart. Stupid stuff...
My issues started after the latest Sync3 update applied. I went from version 2.0 or 2.1 to 3.0. I was never impressed with the update process using a USB device and downloaded file from FORD website to computer. So, I was hoping that a NEWER version was available now. I logged into My Owners site and checked the version available. Unfortunately, it's the same version!

I might try reinstalling the update...and see if that helps. I am not certain it will already recognize the current version...and just stop...or continue and reapply

Otherwise, I have been extremely pleased with my 2017!! I am continuously smiling at the GREAT mpg's this truck gets!! (remember, I am coming from a 2012 F250 Superduty with the 6.2L and 4.30s)

biz

Old 03-28-2019, 04:08 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
I have a 2016 F150 Lariat that I purchased brand new in 2016 and I have almost 40K miles on the odometer.
Knock on wood but the only problem that I’ve had is the APIM acting weird and a new one has been on order since October 2018.
I use Apple CarPlay so it’s really not that big of a deal for me.

Old 03-30-2019, 10:04 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
2016 Lariat 5.0 SCrew 4X4 picked up Jan 21 2016, currently 65,000 miles. Best truck I have ever owned, Seats are comfortable for long trips, Sync3, for the most part, has worked fine.

The issues:
Wind noise from driver's side door
APIM replaced when Sync updated to 2.2
IWE's replaced once, still noisy
Goodyear Wranglers were toast at 30k
Cannot believe there isn't an easier more up to date way to update the NAV

Issue unrelated to Ford:
Kinda regret the Bilstein 5100 shocks. Definitely ride rougher than stock. However, they do handle harder bumps and impacts better than stock.