Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Messed up my 1950 F1 door hinge

Old 03-24-2019, 09:07 PM
gsharum
Freshman User
gsharum is starting off with a positive reputation.
Messed up my 1950 F1 door hinge

I was trying to replace the hinge pin on the passenger side upper hinge. Soaked in PB for months, tried heat and then a punch with BFH. NO GO! Decided to drill out and did not keep the bit lined up with the pin so I came out to the side of the hinge at the bottom. And, I still can't drive the pin out! You were all right about this being a hard job. Did I ruin my hinge or do you think I can weld this up and still use it? Or, do I start looking for a new hinge?

Old 03-25-2019, 11:25 AM
pweng1
Posting Guru
pweng1 has a good reputation on FTE.pweng1 has a good reputation on FTE.pweng1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Hinge pins are taped and only come out the top. They also have a spline on them to keep them from turning.
With that all said i think you would be best buying a used hinge. Alot of these guys can probably help you out with one.
Ive said many times after spraying a week its the tool and a impact vibrating that works for me.

Old 03-25-2019, 01:50 PM
chriscris
Senior User
chriscris is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have extras if needed

Old 03-25-2019, 07:59 PM
gsharum
Freshman User
gsharum is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looks like I have located a replacement. One more lesson learned! Thanks all.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:49 PM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
Various vendors make hinge pin removal/installation tools, here is but one https://www.eastwood.com/door-hinge-...000a3fc6932e14
My trucks are all F100s (so no hinge pins) but I do have a tool like this that I bought/use on my 40 Ford hinges.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.