Notices
2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real World MPG for 2019 Ford F150 XLT 3.5

Old 04-15-2019, 10:16 AM
RX 1 Liter
Senior User
RX 1 Liter is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by GlueGuy View Post
Personally, I think that >15 MPG pulling a 7,000 lb trailer at 75 MPH in the winter bordering on the unbelievable. Getting 2 MPG better than that under the same conditions is even more unbelievable.
Originally Posted by JKBrad View Post
Search the net. You should be glad Ford doesn’t use AFM.

Are you calculating you friend’s towing MPG the same way you calculate your’s? If not you have no solid basis for comparison other than his word or belief.

2 MPG wouldn’t make me trade one perfectly good truck for another. 2 different people with different driving habits can have a bigger margin than that, in the same truck over the same route.
You misunderstood my data. I was showing what my overall lifetime fuel economy was which included towing. Towing 7,500 pounds at 75 I get 7.5 mpg and the 6.2L got 9.7. This was hand calculated on the same trip, same speed, same weather, ...

Old 05-14-2019, 04:30 PM
Truckin Canuck
New User
Truckin Canuck is starting off with a positive reputation.
G'day from the GWN. I've never even driven a truck, but am intrigued with the idea of exploring North America in a slide-in camper. After months of research, I thought I'd identified the perfect combination of fuel economy, comfort and versatility, in a 2019 F-150 supercab 4x4 with 3.5L EB engine, 145" WB, 6.5' box and an Outfitter Caribou Lite 6.5 pop-up. The latter weighs 850 lbs dry. With my options, wet, plus pax, beer, stuff and a clean pair of socks (optional), it'll weigh about 1920 lbs. The truck, with GVWR of 7,050, has a payload of 2,150 lbs. All good - until I came across the F-Series Pickup/Camper Combination Selector. This requires the Heavy-Duty Payload Package as well as the Max Trailer Tow Package, and claims that the only 4x4 Supercab that qualifies is the 163.7" WB (8' box). I asked Ford Help how the truck knows whether it's carrying a ton of bricks or a ton of camper. Four emails later, they finally revealed that it's C of G, which they only determine for certain truck configurations. Among the many restrictions imposed by their insistence on the two packages, is an increase from the standard 3.31 axle ratio to 3.73. I can't find any indication of what this does to gas mileage, which leads me to believe that it's pretty nasty. I'm inclined to buy the truck I want, install air bags and sway bars, or Torklift Stableload, and Ford restrictions be damned. Does anyone have any idea what the fuel mileage, handling and legal implications of such audacity would be? Thanking you all in advance, I am a
Confused Canuck

Old 05-14-2019, 08:46 PM
JKBrad
Postmaster
JKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to behold
Since you are looking at a pop-up, center of gravity should be less of an issue. Order your truck with the Max Tow Pkg and you will get a 36 gal fuel tank, 3.55 gears and a 9.75 rear axle. A trailer brake controller in case you decide to pick up a trailer along the way.

Adding airbags is a good idea. Get an onboard compressor so you can adjust for driving and when you’re camped.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:12 PM
markag
Junior User
markag is starting off with a positive reputation.
You may find that you need the heavy duty payload package to get enough payload to handle the 1920 lbs you mention in your post. I just bought a 2019 F150 XL with the STX package, 157" wheelbase, super crew, 6.5" bed and the max trailer tow package. I have 1711 lbs payload on the truck, and I don't have a lot of options to lower that number down very far. The best i've seen on a truck like mine with even less options is around 1800 lbs. If you get a truck with the HDPP, then you would be able to get 2200 lbs or more of payload from the F150. You will likely need to order that truck though, as those aren't carried in stock by dealers.

The heavy duty payload package comes with the 3.73 gears included in the package. The max trailer tow package requires the 3.5L ecoboost (which mine has) and comes with 3.55 gears. In that combo, I'm getting 18-19 mpg on my daily commute (about 25 miles of 60/40 highway / light city driving). If you combine the HDPP and Max Trailer Tow packages together, then the 3.73 gears are what you will get as a carry over from the HDPP.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:05 PM
JKBrad
Postmaster
JKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to behold
Truckin Canuck, you should make this a separate thread, since it kinda goes off topic on this one, and others will see it easier to comment on.

Maybe a Moderator can cut this part out and make is a thread.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:13 AM
johndeerefarmer
Posting Guru
johndeerefarmer has a very good reputation on FTE.johndeerefarmer has a very good reputation on FTE.johndeerefarmer has a very good reputation on FTE.johndeerefarmer has a very good reputation on FTE.
Running at 60 mph unloaded 21-23 mpg
Running unloaded at 80 mph = 18 mpg
Towing a RZR on a 12' trailer from TX to CO multiple times around 11-12 mpg depending upon the wind (I drive 5 over the speed limit)

Towing two RZR's on a 24' aluminum trailer 9-10 mpg

Towing a 26' fifthwheel 7.5- 9 mpg depending upon how fast I drive and the hills

Old 05-15-2019, 02:11 PM
Truckin Canuck
New User
Thanks Markag, That's exactly the information I was looking for. Your mileage is what the 3.5L ecoboost window sticker claims, which I believe reflects the standard 3.31 axle ratio. So it appears that my concern about reduced mileage due to lower axle ratio (3.55) is unfounded.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:24 PM
Truckin Canuck
New User
Thanks JK, I think you're correct regarding C of G. My concern is mainly legal. I believe that Ford issues a certificate which states that a truck is either suitable or not suitable for a slide-in camper. I would think that putting a camper in the latter would invalidate the insurance. Concerning threads; you're no doubt correct there too but as a newbie, I have no idea how to accomplish a switch. I could simply repost my original on a different forum - which would you suggest?

Old 05-15-2019, 03:40 PM
JKBrad
Postmaster
Make a new thread. Post a link to the camper you are considering. More people will see it and you’ll get better responses to your questions.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:41 PM
Truckin Canuck
New User
Done - thanks for your patience.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:56 AM
Delta Echo
Senior User
Delta Echo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
When/if you monitor your actual usage, you will most probably find that the trip computer is consistently about 5% high, or roughly 1 MPG better than actual. If you poke around on the forum, there is a way to fix this through the console. You need to put the console into diagnostic mode, and adjust the "AFE Bias" to reflect the amount of the error. AFE Bias is set to 1000 by default, and reducing the bias to 950 is what I've got mine set to now.
Every truck is different, because there is a tolerance on everything involved. The mpg calculation uses set parameters for fuel flow at given conditions. But fuel injector flow rate, fuel pressure, O2 sensors, etc. are all going vary slightly, which can cause a measurable difference between PCM-reported mileage and true mileage. Or in other words, the amount of actual fuel flowing is not the same as what the computer expects it to be. A lot of people seem to think that it's intentional, and sometimes it might be. But there will always be some variability because there will always be manufacturing tolerances. Also, O2 sensors can lose accuracy through contamination and age.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:00 AM
Delta Echo
Senior User
Delta Echo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Personally, I think that >15 MPG pulling a 7,000 lb trailer at 75 MPH in the winter bordering on the unbelievable. Getting 2 MPG better than that under the same conditions is even more unbelievable.
When pulling an enclosed trailer, it depends on the wind direction more than anything. I've gotten 20 mpg and 9 mpg pulling the same enclosed trailer at the same speed. The 20 mpg had a 25ish mph tail wind the whole trip home, combined with around 1,000 foot drop in elevation over 350 miles.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:46 AM
windellmc
Senior User
windellmc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Delta Echo View Post
Every truck is different, because there is a tolerance on everything involved. The mpg calculation uses set parameters for fuel flow at given conditions. But fuel injector flow rate, fuel pressure, O2 sensors, etc. are all going vary slightly, which can cause a measurable difference between PCM-reported mileage and true mileage. Or in other words, the amount of actual fuel flowing is not the same as what the computer expects it to be. A lot of people seem to think that it's intentional, and sometimes it might be. But there will always be some variability because there will always be manufacturing tolerances. Also, O2 sensors can lose accuracy through contamination and age.
Ford vehicles have consistently read 5-7% high for me for over a decade across multiple vehicle lines. Ford is doing this on purpose. The only exception is a couple of times I have gotten ethanol free fuel and the display was almost dead on.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:13 PM
GlueGuy
Postmaster
GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Delta Echo View Post
There was a very extensive thread on this topic a year or so ago. Search for "lie-o-meter" or "LOM" to see if you can find it. 2015-through-present F-150s, all engines consistently read about 1MPG too optimistic, or about 5% "too good". Look also for "AFE bias", which is the parameter you can change through the console diagnostic interface to correct your particular truck. I set my AFE bias to 950, and it has been much more accurate since.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:40 AM
markag
Junior User
markag is starting off with a positive reputation.
Maybe it's driving style. So far on my 2019 F150 3.5 EB, the display has been as close as 0.2mpg and as far as about 0.7mpg from what the pump says.

I could go after correcting it, but I don't think that is too bad. 1-3% or so.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: