2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Smart Key - Vehicle Thefts

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 04:39 PM
rewillia
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smart Key - Vehicle Thefts

Curious, are the Ford Smart Key'd trucks prone to theft, i.e. by use of a code reader/signal amplifier we hear/read about being used to steal other "smart key" vehicles? Not a lot of information on this on the web from what I can tell and am wondering if there are precautions that can be taken to mitigate/prevent my new F250 from being ripped off (i.e. I'm living in the car theft capital, Houston where according to the statistics pickups are the literally the hot topic among car thieves).

Old 03-20-2019, 05:57 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
Super Duties are just as prone as any another keyless-start vehicle. There are many stories online of "smart key" vehicles being stolen. Happened locally over in Virginia Beach to two in the same neighborhood. I keep my "daily" fob inside a flip open metal box lined with aluminum foil at night. My extra fob is stored in one of these ...
Valet Parking Electronic Key Signal Disabler Device for Key Fobs, VALETKEYFOBDISABLINGDEVICE, Orange Traffic Cones

Old 03-21-2019, 07:26 PM
rewillia
Senior User
HOW IRONIC,

I posted the above thread yesterday a few days after arriving Houston only to find that someone broke into my truck last night.

Apparently whoever did it was looking for a gun or other valuables (evidenced by my finding the glove box open) and left the truck otherwise relatively untouched with exception of the driver's door handle and lock cylinder which was their means of gaining entry. The thief apparently pulled on the door handle then used a screwdriver (or other device" to "jimmy" the lock cylinder such that it allowed him to open the door.

So, this afternoon (after work), I took the truck into a local Ford Dealer whereby the looked at it and said the door handle and lock cylinder will have to be replaced. With that, I asked 1) do they see this type of thing very often? - to which they replied, yep, every day and 2) is there something I can do to mitigate the risk of my truck being broken into again or worse, being stolen all together? - to which they advised me that a) they can install some "jimmy jam" steel plates on the inside(s) of the doors (all four) behind the door handles that will prevent a thief from breaking through the lock cylinder ($790) and b) they can install Ford's Perimeter security system which they advised is a genuine Ford Product designed to enhance the vehicle security by adding vibration and glass breakage sensing devices along with a far more robust alarm sound ($500) all of which I said "yes, lets do it"!

I should mention that the Ford Dealer also stated that they can swap out the driver's door handle with the same type as comes on the passenger side which will then omit the mechanical key lock cylinder on the driver's door but after checking they said that such applied to earlier models (i.e. 2016-2018's) and the information they have is that the door handles can't be swapped out/over on the 2019's which is what I have.

Only problem now is they had to order the new door handle and cylinder that also has to be painted to match and likely won't be in until next Monday/Tuesday. I can only hope for now that I'll still own the Truck by then (i.e. someone steals it in the meantime). Oh and of course, the "Barney Fife" security guard at the Hotel where I am staying didn't see or hear anything last night between the hours of 10:30 PM - 04:00 AM. Imagine that!

Thanks Houston!

Old 03-21-2019, 07:36 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by rewillia
The thief apparently pulled on the door handle then used a screwdriver (or other device" to "jimmy" the lock cylinder such that it allowed him to open the door.
Sorry to hear of your bad news. The device used to gain entry was probably just a pair of ViseGrips or ChannelLocks. When you pull the driver's door handle, the lock cylinder is exposed in all its glory. Grab and turn it in the right direction and the alarm won't sound because the truck thinks you're unocking with a key. I removed my driver's door lock cylinder with the Jimmi-Jammer kit.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:38 PM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 935 Likes on 737 Posts
Yeah I’ve been stuck parking my 2019 in the street until tomorrow when it will go behind a fence. Im in a fairly nice part of houston but still worry about it.

I have a keyfob rdfi case (I believe thats what its called) I got off Amazon. Highly suggested.

I also chained down my bed cover so it cant be jimmied open and put a pipe clamp on the hinge so it would be harder to remove..

Old 03-21-2019, 07:51 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Joe T
I have a keyfob rdfi case (I believe thats what its called) I got off Amazon.
If it's a soft or fabric case, make certain to check its effectiveness after a few months. Every one I've tried has had the barrier layer break down and let the signal pass through. To check it, just put your fob inside the case and try to pushbutton-start your truck with it nearby.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:52 PM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by cficare
If it's a soft or fabric case, make certain to check its effectiveness after a few months. Every one I've tried has had the barrier layer breakdown and let the signal pass through. To check it, just put your fob inside the case and try to pushbutton-start your truck with it nearby.
Ok thanks for the info.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:29 PM
keepaeyeonit
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear of your bad news. The device used to gain entry was probably just a pair of ViseGrips or ChannelLocks. When you pull the driver's door handle, the lock cylinder is exposed in all its glory. Grab and turn it in the right direction and the alarm won't sound because the truck thinks you're unocking with a key. I removed my driver's door lock cylinder with the Jimmi-Jammer kit.
I was thinking about the Jimmi-Jammer but I do have the freezing door lock problem at times( thanks Ford! ) and the only way to get into my truck is to use the key!! So what is one to do? I'm not moving to a warmer climate either!
This is just a FYI!

Old 03-21-2019, 08:45 PM
blueglide
Senior User
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by rewillia
HOW IRONIC,

2) is there something I can do to mitigate the risk of my truck being broken into again or worse, being stolen all together? - to which they advised me that a) they can install some "jimmy jam" steel plates on the inside(s) of the doors (all four) behind the door handles that will prevent a thief from breaking through the lock cylinder ($790) and b) they can install Ford's premium security system which they advised is a Ford Product designed to enhance the vehicle security to include vibration and glass breakage sensing devices along with a far more robust alarm sound ($500) all of which I said "yes, lets do it"!
Check out RAVELCO. They have installers in Houston.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:03 PM
TeddyD
Postmaster
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Come on guys. There’s only one true way to make your truck theft free. Purchase a gmc truck cover.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:52 AM
rewillia
Senior User
Originally Posted by TeddyD
Come on guys. There’s only one true way to make your truck theft free. Purchase a gmc truck cover.
Sorry Teddy, we get the pun but this topic is a "no joking" matter that may help others prevent their trucks from being broken into or worse, stolen all together.

Old 03-22-2019, 05:53 AM
rewillia
Senior User
Originally Posted by blueglide
Check out RAVELCO. They have installers in Houston.
THANKS, Blueglide,

Have since researched the referred to product (Ravelco) and scheduled an installation. Won't keep a thief from breaking & entering but at-least should forego a total theft attempt altogether. Also having a local Ford Dealer install the Ford Plus Perimeter security upgrade and the jimmy jammer door plates as a first line of defense

Hopefully the combination of these devices will preempt any future successful attempts.

In mention, when I reported this to the hotel's security guard, her reply to me was , "well I'm new to working the night shift and scared to go outside"!, which I conveyed to the "deer in the headlights" general manager of the hotel (of which is a widely known and popular hotel chain).

Dammed shame we truck owners have to do these things to protect our vehicles but I'm willing to do so if it helps me sleep at night!

Old 03-22-2019, 06:42 AM
Section179
Fleet Mechanic
Received 160 Likes on 88 Posts
Man rewilla you can’t catch a break.

It pisses me off that a brand new truck costing as much as these do has jack for security. Every option available, and there’s still something to add to the security system?

I recently had a Dacia Duster get broken into overseas by having the lock cylinder twisted with pliers... I expect it from that $10,000 POS, not from America’s most expensive truck!

Old 03-22-2019, 08:14 AM
Joe T
Lead Driver
You have a Limited right?

I have a Platinum and ASSUMED it would have the most advanced alarm system.

I know I can get the alarm for my F150 XL which I plan to do but just figured my platinum would have it.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:42 AM
orion250
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should do a write up on removing the lock cylinder. Wink, wink!!! 😉

Quick Reply: Smart Key - Vehicle Thefts