6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Buying Advice & Reliability - 2016 F250 diesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 10:25 AM
pianolaw
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying Advice & Reliability - 2016 F250 diesel

Hey everyone - looking at buying a used 2016 F250 diesel with approx 31K miles from a Ford dealer (not certified). I have no experience whatsoever with diesels but looking to pull an airstream eventually which would include some mountain towing (the air brake is cool). The bumper to bumper warranty expires in 2 months but the drivetrain warranty is good for another 26 months or 28K miles. I'm not a fan of extended warranties but nervous because this is my first diesel. I've been reading a lot of posts on this forum and it seems like the 6.7L is a reliable performer. Any advice to this diesel newbie on whether an extended warranty is worth it? If so buy it now or later?

Old 03-18-2019, 10:49 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
First question is do you really need a diesel? The maintenance cost will be higher than a gasoline truck. Oil, fuel and filters for both cost more than gas engine. You can have the dealer pull an OASIS report for you so you can see if any service, regular or warranty, has been performed at a Ford dealer. If you need a diesel, then ask the dealer to toss in an extended warranty or go halves with them on it.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:03 AM
pianolaw
New User
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
First question is do you really need a diesel? The maintenance cost will be higher than a gasoline truck. Oil, fuel and filters for both cost more than gas engine. You can have the dealer pull an OASIS report for you so you can see if any service, regular or warranty, has been performed at a Ford dealer. If you need a diesel, then ask the dealer to toss in an extended warranty or go halves with them on it.
Thanks. Great points. I was looking at a gas truck at the local Ford dealer and saw this one and made the mistake of taking it for a test drive. Pleasantly surprised at how smooth and quiet it was. But not cheap.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:32 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally I would look at this deal again and again. 2016, 31k, and NOT Certified. Here is what they use as a basic guideline to be Ford Pre-owned Certified:To become Ford-certified, a pre-owned vehicle has to be less than six years old and have fewer than 80,000 miles on the odometer. It then has to pass a rigorous 172-point inspection. A CARFAX Vehicle History Report[/color] is also run to identify any vehicle that does not meet our strict standards.

https://www.ford.com/certified-used/...ed/inspection/

Old 03-18-2019, 11:56 AM
pianolaw
New User
Originally Posted by Gearitis
Personally I would look at this deal again and again. 2016, 31k, and NOT Certified. Here is what they use as a basic guideline to be Ford Pre-owned Certified:To become Ford-certified, a pre-owned vehicle has to be less than six years old and have fewer than 80,000 miles on the odometer. It then has to pass a rigorous 172-point inspection. A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is also run to identify any vehicle that does not meet our strict standards.

https://www.ford.com/certified-used/...ed/inspection/
Thanks. I'm planning on asking them why not certified if I decide to pursue this further. The carfax is ok except for notation of minor non-accident related damage which is also noted as cosmetic. I suspect this is why not certified.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:16 PM
mdayz28
Mountain Pass
Oil filter , oil changes are VERY easy to do yourself , also fuel filters are VERY easy to do ! Use the recommended motor oil , try to make sure your diesel fuel is from a trustworthy fuel station because diesel lubricates the CP4 fuel pump which is VERY expensive to fix ! They sell aftermarket kits to bypass the fuel system if there is contamination in the fuel . Good luck with whatever you buy !

Old 03-18-2019, 01:09 PM
pianolaw
New User
Originally Posted by mdayz28
Oil filter , oil changes are VERY easy to do yourself , also fuel filters are VERY easy to do ! Use the recommended motor oil , try to make sure your diesel fuel is from a trustworthy fuel station because diesel lubricates the CP4 fuel pump which is VERY expensive to fix ! They sell aftermarket kits to bypass the fuel system if there is contamination in the fuel . Good luck with whatever you buy !
Great advice thank you

Old 03-18-2019, 01:27 PM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're going to keep the emissions, I'd say the extended warranty from Ford is probably worth it. Make sure it covers a complete radiator and water pump replacement.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:27 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,631 Likes on 2,731 Posts
If the dealer agrees to an extended warranty, be sure it's an actual Ford extended warranty, not a dealer warranty. You can find real Ford extended warranties on the Internet. Check the cost of those before you sit down to negotiate at the dealership.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:57 PM
pianolaw
New User
Originally Posted by HRTKD
If the dealer agrees to an extended warranty, be sure it's an actual Ford extended warranty, not a dealer warranty. You can find real Ford extended warranties on the Internet. Check the cost of those before you sit down to negotiate at the dealership.
Thanks. Lots of options depending on how much I want covered. Can easily spend $2-4K depending on what is covered, how long, mileage etc. But one caveat I noticed is that to buy a Ford extended warranty it must be done before the original bumper to bumper warranty expires which is in about 2 months.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:19 PM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Deuce40s
If you're going to keep the emissions, I'd say the extended warranty from Ford is probably worth it. Make sure it covers a complete radiator and water pump replacement.
i would agree on the Ford extended warranty. On my ‘13 it was a tad bit over 4K with a $100.00 per ‘ticket’ deductible. Will I get the 4K back? Hope not, but the peace of mind is well worth it.

Old 03-18-2019, 03:04 PM
pianolaw
New User
Originally Posted by Chuck-B

i would agree on the Ford extended warranty. On my ‘13 it was a tad bit over 4K with a $100.00 per ‘ticket’ deductible. Will I get the 4K back? Hope not, but the peace of mind is well worth it.
Thanks good to know

Old 03-21-2019, 11:52 PM
sub1187
5th Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by pianolaw
Thanks good to know
A dealer has to pay royalties to the manufacturer to have the ability to brand a vehicle factory certified. For some, it’s a waste of money and they pass the savings onto the prices. That being said, they’ll attempt to make money at the contract and most likely will sell you on it. Remember, the best salespeople In the dealer are in F&I. As I used to work for a captive lender, some of your concerns are understandable but considering over 2/3 of all cars are traded around year 3 of ownership, the decision will most likely be a short one. It has a 5yr/100k powertrain warranty which should help ease some concern too.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:41 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
go for that 2016. mine has 116000 now flawless miles. best superduty yet out of my 2008 2011 's. they've improved so many things on it.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:14 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
Extended warranties are a waste of money!!! It starts from the trucks in service date not the date you purchase the truck. Your truck will probably not need any repairs but some investigation is required because it's used. It this truck has been modified in any way don't buy it. You may be asking for trouble and a extended warranty won't cover your truck. They always look for a reason not to pay for repairs just so you know. I have a 15 and mine has been a great truck. I have towed everywhere and have 30,000 miles on my trailer. My truck is still stock. Good luck with your purchase.
Things to remember oil capacity is 13 quarts or 3 gallons and a quart. It may be easy to change but thats a lot of oil to capture.
The fuel filters are easy to change i have done mine a couple times but I now have some diesel that I have to figure out what to do with.
I have made a friend at the Ford dealer so they take extra care of me.

Quick Reply: Buying Advice & Reliability - 2016 F250 diesel