Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

95 F150 rough idle, check engine light issues

Old 03-17-2019, 12:13 PM
Trevor Whitten
New User
Trevor Whitten is starting off with a positive reputation.
Exclamation 95 F150 rough idle, check engine light issues

Hi all, my name is Trevor and I have a 1995 Ford F150, 5.0L 302 with an automatic transmission. The truck has around 240,000 miles on it, bought it from my brother in-law for 800 and have taken it on as a project. My truck used to have an issue with acceleration. Sometimes it would work fine, but then sometimes you would go to accelerate and the truck would jerk forward and not get over 30 and at each jerk the check engine light would flash on. I replaced the fuel filter, put some cleaner in the gas tank and it seemed to fix it. A buddy of mine looked at it and noticed that the vapor canister was not was not even attached to the throttle body, there was the hose going to transmission but nothing else. So we rerouted the hose to to bypass the vapor canister and that seemed to fix it for a while, and I thought we were good, then it started doing it again. Did some research and ended up replacing the throttle position sensor and the MAF sensor, and also replaced the throttle body gasket because it had totally disintegrated while getting to the tps sensor. That fixed the hard jerking issue, and the flashing check engine light but now when I go to accelerate, the check engine light comes on and stays on at a certain point, maybe within 6-10 minutes of driving, and then goes off for a time before it would come back on. The truck also tends to die if I start it up and let it idle for a second or two, but once it gets up and going it won't die. I have an OBD reader for the truck but can not find where to plug it in. Any help would be appreciated! This is a project to make it a reliable vehicle for my family.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:39 PM
sandymane
Posting Guru
sandymane is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sandymane is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You should be OBD 1. Are you sure you have an OBD 1 reader for a Ford? If so, the EEC is located on the Driver side fender under the hood almost to the firewall. If you don't have the OBD1 let me know and I will send you how to check codes without a reader. Sandy

Old 03-18-2019, 10:28 AM
stonesg
Freshman User
stonesg is starting off with a positive reputation.
Get the Haynes manual.

Read the codes via the jump method and I bet you find the TPS is still messed up or not installed correctly.

I had a bad TPS that would turn on the light at idle and then go out while driving and the symptoms were the transmission not shifting correctly in and out of overdrive and 1st to 2nd shift was very hard. Replaced the TPS and it's fine now.

As I said... read the codes and if you get the TPS voltage out of range code, check it and make sure it is not bad from the start and was indexed properly when you installed it.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:19 PM
Trevor Whitten
New User
Trevor Whitten is starting off with a positive reputation.
I noticed when I put on the new TPS a few weeks ago that the little metal piece that fits into the center of the sensor was bent slightly. Could that be an issue do you think? I haven't gotten around to checking with the OBD1, I've been busy with work and school but plan on it this weekend.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:33 PM
vjsimone
Old-Timer
vjsimone has a good reputation on FTE.vjsimone has a good reputation on FTE.
FYI;
Engines are easier to diagnose over the internet when all the codes are listed, and in order of test.
KOEO - (O) Self-Test Codes = ?
KOEO - (C)(CM) Continuous Memory Codes = ?
KOER - (R) Self-Test Codes = ?

Check Base Timing?
Check Timing Advance?

Do you have any Non-Stock modifications?
(Air Intake? Smog System? Exhaust System? Ignition System?)

Old 03-21-2019, 05:29 PM
stonesg
Freshman User
stonesg is starting off with a positive reputation.
Can't say for certain what your bent contact area to the TPS might cause but if the throttle plate is moving without or before actuating the TPS it's not helping anything.

I reread your post and see you did your parts replacement after "research". Were the codes ever read?

TG

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.