Notices
1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Ignition switch removal

Old 03-17-2019, 10:52 AM
brian1080
Posting Guru
brian1080 has a good reputation on FTE.brian1080 has a good reputation on FTE.
Ignition switch removal

can someone tell me how to remove ignition switch in a 64 f600 when I donít have key? It feels like it should twist when pushed together but it wonít let go.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:15 AM
TA455HO
Post Fiend
TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.
If you can pick the lock to turn it then you can insert a pin into a tiny hole in the faceplate of the keyhole and release it like normal.

There are youtube videos on how to pick a truck ignition. Might be worth a try.

Otherwise, it often can come down to drilling it out which is not terrible but you might ruin the bezel and other items in the process.

Chad

Old 03-17-2019, 01:25 PM
Crop Duster
Posting Guru
Crop Duster is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Key

Originally Posted by brian1080 View Post
can someone tell me how to remove ignition switch in a 64 f600 when I donít have key? It feels like it should twist when pushed together but it wonít let go.
This was an ND suggestion from a long time ago and it worked for me on a parts truck that came with no keys at all. If the lock cylinders haven't been changed out in the past remove one of the door locks and take it to a locksmith. There is a number on it that he can use to cut a new key. Since these trucks only had one key for the doors an ignition.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:41 AM
Kansafornia
Junior User
Kansafornia is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ran into this problem a few weeks back. Previous owner had cut the lines in and rerouted to a new pushbutton switch leaving the older switch/bezel in place; dead on the console. No key. I had to take her in to see our local locksmith. Thought he was going to need to drill it out but instead made a 'master' and used a paperclip to extract the old lock. (His words, not mine).

I've since installed a newer ver of the old ignition switch in the correct console location - with new bezel. If you can't pick it like Chad suggests, you might try a locksmith.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:15 PM
AZSCAWPION
Senior User
AZSCAWPION is starting off with a positive reputation.
Agree with others who have posted. First choice would be to remove a door lock and have a key made for it. last choice would be to drill out the cylinder, since if not careful, could do more harm than good (ie; drill either to big or too deep and your switch is toast)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.