1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

84 f150 inline 6 does not have opening for Manuel fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 10:19 AM
1984oldn’slow
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
84 f150 inline 6 does not have opening for Manuel fuel pump

I have a 1984 f150 with an in-line 6 with a non feedback carburetor. It has a electric fuel pump mounted on the frame that recently went out so I decided to get a Manuel fuel pump. I located where it mounts too, and the ignition coil was mounted to a bracket that is bolted to where the Manuel fuel pump would go and when I unbolted it their was not a hole cut out that goes into the engine. I’m just curious to why that is? Thanks, Colby

Old 03-17-2019, 10:30 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,098 Likes on 1,788 Posts
Someone replaced the motor with one from a EFI car / truck as they used electric pumps.
Now I know you mostly not do this but as you saw the bolt holes are there so you would need to drill / cut the hole for the pump.
Some use the pump gasket as a pattern them grease & a vacuum when drilling out the opening, the cam should be setup for the pump.

The only other thing is go back with a low psi electric pump. Did the old pump run thru a oil psi shut off switch so when the motor is not running the pump does not run?
The other thing is to run a relay so the pump gets full power and run a wire from the starter relay to the fuel pump relay so when cranking the pump will run other wise the only time the pump will run when cranking is when the oil psi is up to close the safety switch.
Dave ----

Old 03-17-2019, 10:56 AM
1984oldn’slow
Junior User
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
Someone replaced the motor with one from a EFI car / truck as they used electric pumps.
Now I know you mostly not do this but as you saw the bolt holes are there so you would need to drill / cut the hole for the pump.
Some use the pump gasket as a pattern them grease & a vacuum when drilling out the opening, the cam should be setup for the pump.

The only other thing is go back with a low psi electric pump. Did the old pump run thru a oil psi shut off switch so when the motor is not running the pump does not run?
The other thing is to run a relay so the pump gets full power and run a wire from the starter relay to the fuel pump relay so when cranking the pump will run other wise the only time the pump will run when cranking is when the oil psi is up to close the safety switch.
Dave ----
the fuel pump is wired into the fuse panel so that when the key is in the on posistion it runs the fuel pump.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:53 AM
kr98664
Lead Driver
Received 687 Likes on 551 Posts
Originally Posted by 1984oldn’slow
the fuel pump is wired into the fuse panel so that when the key is in the on position it runs the fuel pump.
​​​​​​By chance do you have the name and address of the previous owner who did this? I'd like to tie him to a chair, see his eyelids open, and force him to watch Beaches (The director's cut). A harsh punishment, no doubt, but appropriate.

Your truck is VERY unsafe driven like that. You have zero protection against the fuel pump continuing to run and feed a fire if you were incapacitated in an accident. On the bright side, this would reduce any funeral expenses for your family, as long as you are okay with cremation.

I have converted my truck to an electric pump and am very pleased with it. However, I have also added an automatic shutoff. This was on a 351W, but the basic idea should be the same. Details here, including a couple of ways to include an auto shutoff:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...tallation.html

Personally, I wouldn't bother going back to a mechanical pump. Lots of advantages to electric, as long as retrofitted safely. I'd also relocate the pump near the tank for maximum effectiveness.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:53 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by kr98664
​​​​​​By chance do you have the name and address of the previous owner who did this? I'd like to tie him to a chair, see his eyelids open, and force him to watch Beaches (The director's cut). A harsh punishment, no doubt, but appropriate.

Your truck is VERY unsafe driven like that. You have zero protection against the fuel pump continuing to run and feed a fire if you were incapacitated in an accident. On the bright side, this would reduce any funeral expenses for your family, as long as you are okay with cremation.

I have converted my truck to an electric pump and am very pleased with it. However, I have also added an automatic shutoff. This was on a 351W, but the basic idea should be the same. Details here, including a couple of ways to include an auto shutoff:

Personally, I wouldn't bother going back to a mechanical pump. Lots of advantages to electric, as long as retrofitted safely. I'd also relocate the pump near the tank for maximum effectiveness.
Agreed go with a new electric pump in this situation. And really the oil pressure cut off is not needed and just complicates an install and adds a dynamic component failure point.. Use an inertia switch it just wires inline to the fuel pump feed, and accomplishes the same basic thing with a much simpler and reliable install as it is not a dynamic component unless tripped.

Old 03-17-2019, 01:02 PM
kr98664
Lead Driver
Received 687 Likes on 551 Posts
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2

the cam should be setup for the pump.
Dave, on an EFI motor's original camshaft, was the fuel pump lobe finished? I got to wondering if the EFI cam was different. On some pics, even though the lobe is there, it looks as if the manufacturer skipped grinding it smooth.

Makes sense, as it would have been expensive to change the forging dies to delete this lobe, but there was no need to take the extra steps to finish it. All bets are off with aftermarket, as it may have been more cost effective to finish the fuel pump lobe to create a universal replacement.

Old 03-17-2019, 01:39 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,098 Likes on 1,788 Posts
Dave, on an EFI motor's original camshaft, was the fuel pump lobe finished? I got to wondering if the EFI cam was different. On some pics, even though the lobe is there, it looks as if the manufacturer skipped grinding it smooth.

Makes sense, as it would have been expensive to change the forging dies to delete this lobe, but there was no need to take the extra steps to finish it. All bets are off with aftermarket, as it may have been more cost effective to finish the fuel pump lobe to create a universal replacement.
Now That can not answer and at the time did not know to ask that question of the person that showed me the non-fuel pump hole on the EFI motors. I have not seen him post in here or in our state's area for a year or so and don't know of anyone else to ask.
But is a good question.
Dave ----

Old 03-17-2019, 03:40 PM
1984oldn’slow
Junior User

Thanks I’ll look into wiring it up in a safer way, the previous owner used it as a woods truck so safety wasn’t really a concern of there’s, but if I’m hurt too bad to turn the key off I mind as well go out with my truck lol