General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Can the city be beat?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 10:47 PM
stepman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can the city be beat?

I am looking for ideas here. The fine city that I live in has put another nail in my coffin. I have heard of stories like this from HOA's but nothing to this degree.
I do not live in a HOA so I wouldn't think that I would have problems like this. This may be a long story so, bear with me. It started about 3 years ago. I was working on someones Bronco, converting it to a 5.0 and I needed some room to work on my car. I live in a residential area but most of us here have "desert" landscaping meaning that my yard consists of crushed granite with an occasional cactus. I put the Bronco out next to my driveway with my 53 F250 so that I could get the Mustang in the driveway. Well, within 2 days the city came out and told me that I couldn't "park" my vehicles there. ( seems there was a complaint by a neighbor) I said O.K. and moved the veh's to the drivway. Within a week, the city was back out and now says I have an inoperable veh. ( while moving, I got a flat on the 250)
I ended up going to court over this and the judge said " it's a piece of juck and needs to go" . I appealed this and by the time it went back to court I had the 250 in the garage.
End of story, right, wrong... It seems that every time that I put it in the driveway, the city is there to cite me. Last month I put a tarp up around a couple of boards so that I could do some blasting. You guessed it, The city was right there to tell me that I needed a permit to erect a structure. The other day I pushed my sandblasted cab out so that I could move in the garage. Guess what, the city was right there. They fined me 300.00. So now I have to go to court next week and I haven't got a clue as to what to do. I tell you, right now I am feeling harrassed like you wouldn't believe.

I am looking for suggestions on how to handle it. Do I just bite it and pay the fine when one of my neighbors has had his truck on blocks for the past 2 years? I have another that has worn out race slicks on the side of his garage for the last year? Another has had a camper set up in his driveway ( living in it for the last 1 &1/2 years and trash lined up down te side of the garage?

Do I eat this with all this going on or do I go out and take pics and take them all with me. Then nobody in the hood will like me. I'm looking to hire a lawyer right now but, I don't think I'll find one that will touch this.
Think i'll pack up and move to the desert. Cept I want to wait till the kids are out of school.

Old 09-30-2003, 11:41 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I say get a lawyer. There has to be one greedy enough to take on the city. Ask your neighbors what they do to get around the city with their "junk"

I can't believe that judge said your truck with the flat is junk and had to go. I say go back to him when you are done your restoration and show that judge your freshly restored truck. Ask him then if he still thinks it is still junk.

Old 10-01-2003, 12:23 AM
stepman
Posting Guru
Yeah, that was my plan to drive it right down to their doorstep. I think what my neighbor are doing to get around it is, "nobody has complained about them". I don't understand it, I must have ticked somebody off but, can;t figure out who. Or even how.

Old 10-01-2003, 03:39 AM
13hondacr250
Posting Guru
Do you know who is complaing? Perhaps talking to them and finding out why might help solve some of the problems. Find out if they live in a "glass house".

I agree that your being unfairly harrased from what you have told us. I'd fight it. But I'm not one to back down. I don't see how they can fine you if your working on them to make them run. I don't think anyone has a right to tell me I can't park a car in my drive and not work on it. Especially if your not in a HOA.

Also arm yourself with all the info you can get. Sometimes you can beat them at their own game. Find out exactly what the rules and regulations are. Document your progress on your vehicles ect. Info can be a very sharp sword if used right.

Old 10-01-2003, 05:03 AM
Chambo114
New User
If the city is only citing you and ignoring the same things at your neighbors, you may have a case of selective enforcement. First off, I would research the city codes, they will tell you what is allowed and what isnt. Second, take pictures of the conditions in your neighborhood, and take them to court with you. If you dont agree with the judges decision, you can usually appeal it. Usually it will be one person in your neighborhood who has it out for you and is calling every time they see a "violation". Or it could be that the code enforcement person has decided you are easy pickings, if so make a complaint about their behavior. city codes are usually voted on by the city council- go to the meetings.

Old 10-01-2003, 06:30 AM
F150daniel
Posting Guru
start working on something when you know one neighbors isn't home, go knock on the door to be sure.
if the city comes its not that one. Do the same for the rest.
how long does it take the city to get there after you start working?

cleaning guns in the driveway and smileing at them works sometimes.

Old 10-01-2003, 08:54 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
> I haven't got a clue as to what to do.

Time to start driving a 2 1/2 ton truck and leaving it in your driveway. Parked lengthwise it would pretty much block the view from the street.

Old 10-01-2003, 09:21 AM
jor
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll never overcome your neighbor(s) as it will always be something. I suggest moving to a more rural setting. The trouble with all these homogenous neighborhoods is they tolerate no unconformity. Come on down to Tucson. We like old cars, oil leaks, impact wrenches and loud cursing.
jor

Old 10-01-2003, 10:05 AM
MuchToMyDelight
Posting Guru
Do you have a back yard??
Chambo is right, too. If they are on you like rosie odonnell a pot roast, but leave the rest of the area alone, something is definatly going on that should not be. Research the laws, and work around them, and beat them at their own game.

Old 10-01-2003, 10:29 AM
stepman
Posting Guru
Wow, you guys are amazing. I didn't actually expect that much response from this.
I am getting to know the codes pretty good. according to code, I can have a vehicle in the drive for 48 hours to work on it. I've been flirting with that one quite a bit. I would push my truck out for 2 days then push it back in the garage. They must be getting tired of that.
I can't figure out which neighbor it is because when I call they tell me that they wish to remain anon. I would like to talk it out with them to find an easier resolution.
I do have a backyard but that's pretty much taken up by the pool, the shed, and the wrecker unit that will go on the back of my truck.
I will be talking with my lawyer shortly to see what kind of options I might have. I am also going to dig up the pics I took since this started and I think I'll walk around and take some more. They'll look like duplicates though as they are all the same still. I really don't want to drag everyone else into this as I don't really have a problem with what they are doing. I just don't like it that I seem to have been singled out.
It appears that the code enforcement officer sits on his butt until he gets a complaint to go inspect. Wonder what would happen if I gave him something to do?

Old 10-01-2003, 11:45 AM
BuddyB
Mountain Pass
Sounds like you have a pain in the a** up n Phoenix. Be glad you dont have a HOA, I do and if I even leave the trashcan out the day after the truck comes I get a frendly reminder from the HOA police. I'm not a lawyer, but, you said that the caller wanted to remain anon. What about your right to know your accuser? I would push that one a little further also.

Old 10-01-2003, 11:49 AM
haroutd
Posting Guru
Location: I'm lost somewhere in NJ -- can someone please find me?!?!?!?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I may be wrong, but my understanding is that the accused has a right to face the accuser. Might be worth looking into -- if this is correct, you can use it to learn who has been making the complaints. Then sort things out with them... or at least nit-pick the heck out of everything they're doing wrong, and let them have a taste of their own medicine.

Old 10-01-2003, 05:08 PM
Colossus
Posting Guru
Find the accuser, and then park your 53 through his house, and report HIM for remodeling without a permit, and a parking violation.

Old 10-01-2003, 05:16 PM
stepman
Posting Guru
I'd hate to do that to my truck though. Got an appointment with my lawyer tomorrow to go over my options. Hope he gives me some good news. I think I will try to find out who is doing this again too.

Old 10-01-2003, 05:29 PM
F150daniel
Posting Guru
find out who is home and isn't when the inspector comes.
keep a record and you will find out

Quick Reply: Can the city be beat?