Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Reload this Page >

What does your cruise control do when you click the "on" button

Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 03-15-2019, 10:19 PM
XbigXredX
Senior User
XbigXredX is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

Ok, so for a bit now my cruise hasn't worked. I tried the tests and the what to do and everything seemed to pass but it didn't work. I would click "on" and see nothing on the dash so I just thought it didn't work, because in the 2000 when you click "on" it said "cruise" or had some light, it's been a while so I don't recall exactly. But here in the 2002 when you click "on" you see nothing. Tonight I was again annoyed my cruise doesn't work so I ran through the diagnostics again.... all passed. On the highway, I clicked "on" and again nothing.... then I click "set" and low and behold the light comes on and the cruise is on. So I wondered aloud "how many other people think their cruise is broken because nothing happens when you click the on switch?" So what do your trucks do when you click "on"?

Old 03-15-2019, 10:27 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.
On button enables the circuit, not supposed to be a light. Set button engages cruise control to maintain current speed, dash light is supposed to light.
Sounds like it is working correctly. Operating instructions are in the owners manual for stuff like that.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:39 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog
Nicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputation
In my 01, same as what you discovered in your 02.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:16 PM
seijirou
Posting Guru
seijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to behold
Yeah that's how it works, it's obnoxious. Later on Ford figured out to light it up when on, and give you a cancel button to stop the function without turning the whole system off. In the early 2000's you only get a light when it's On+Set, and the only way to cancel is to tap the brakes.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:42 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by seijirou View Post
and the only way to cancel is to tap the brakes.
You could also poke the off button.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:27 PM
seijirou
Posting Guru
seijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
You could also poke the off button.
That works differently. With a cancel feature, you can pause cruise and then hit Resume to continue your Set speed. If you hit Off you lose the target speed that was Set.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:03 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
When I push my cruise button it opens the secret hatch and ejects the noisy rear seat occupants

i thought they all did that ? No ? I must have the James Bond Edition

Old 03-20-2019, 05:50 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
My Cruise works like it's supposed to, but I wish it could be tuned down a little so it wasn't so aggressive. It gives about twice the throttle increase to recover a few lost MPHs than I would with my right foot, enough to cause a downshift going up a medium sized hill unloaded, a hill that I could get up in OD while towing the big TT. It's not really a big deal as I log so few unloaded miles and only use Cruise Control when unloaded but its far from the smoothest CC I have used.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:59 AM
RPhil
Senior User
RPhil is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.RPhil is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Same with my 2000 Limited. However, the last time I used it the light seemed to go off on the dash even though the cruise was still functioning properly. It came back on shortly thereafter. I'll have to replace the bulb next time I dig into the dash.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:53 AM
1 Excursion camper
Posting Guru
1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future
Sounds like itís working correctly. However the Ford cruise control is lazy. Meaning that when you hit an incline it doesnít give enough throttle so by the point it needs more moh it has already dropped too much, then the system sees that and applies more throttle and it tries to catch back up. By this point it is almost at WOT. Itís poorly programmed and about the only thing I wonít miss. It wasnít just my X my 01 Explorer and my old 95 Explorer did the same thing. My Dodge never did that. It was even worse with the trailer attached!

Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM
XbigXredX
Senior User
XbigXredX is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yah it really isn't the greatest cruise imho, but it is working, and I am happy to have it. Glad I started this thread so we can all vent about it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.