Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Reload this Page >

Rebuild my carter carb. Mostly awesome! Just one thing

Notices
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Old 03-15-2019, 05:24 PM
gfburke
Elder User
gfburke is starting off with a positive reputation.

Tis the season to get out and do stuff again!
I rebuild my Cater YFA. That was a fun thing to do. Pretty simple. I was getting like 7mpg.. But now, she has much more power and I can tell by my fuel gauge that she isn't jumping gas, etc and doing far better. Great throttle response, etc.
However.. She has a hard start. Like turn the key, rev,rev,rev, rev, and have to give her gas peddle to start... then it's kinda gurgley... then smooths out after a bit and is fine. After that she is great. The old carb was instant start and sounded fine. It's an electric choke, which I set to 'just push open with a finger when cold'. Everything is new. from fuel to electrical to motor. Also, was fine before rebuild. I still prefer this over what it was though.. ha.
So, what should I look at do ya think?

Old 03-15-2019, 06:14 PM
matthewq4b
Postmaster
matthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to all
Originally Posted by gfburke View Post
Tis the season to get out and do stuff again!
I rebuild my Cater YFA. That was a fun thing to do. Pretty simple. I was getting like 7mpg.. But now, she has much more power and I can tell by my fuel gauge that she isn't jumping gas, etc and doing far better. Great throttle response, etc.
However.. She has a hard start. Like turn the key, rev,rev,rev, rev, and have to give her gas peddle to start... then it's kinda gurgley... then smooths out after a bit and is fine. After that she is great. The old carb was instant start and sounded fine. It's an electric choke, which I set to 'just push open with a finger when cold'. Everything is new. from fuel to electrical to motor. Also, was fine before rebuild. I still prefer this over what it was though.. ha.
So, what should I look at do ya think?
Choke should be set so it is about half closed on a cold engine at room temp. You will find this to be about the best all round setting. And give the gas a pump or 2 BEFORE cranking it over, and it should fire right up.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:35 PM
gfburke
Elder User
I do pump before staring to reset the choke.
But... adjust the choke so the plate is half closed... when cold? I'll try out whatever but can't say I've heard of that.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:12 PM
jade79
Elder User
jade79 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The rebuild kit should have specs for adjusting the choke In the directions. I rebuilt mine recently as well. If it sits more than a week, I have to crank it a bit to get fuel back in the bowl. Fires up instantly if I drive it every day though.

Old 03-16-2019, 12:10 AM
gfburke
Elder User
I just did it like Mike does it here.

Old 03-16-2019, 03:19 AM
matthewq4b
Postmaster
matthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to all
I do pump before staring to reset the choke.
But... adjust the choke so the plate is half closed... when cold? I'll try out whatever but can't say I've heard of that.
Cold engine half closed with ambient at about room temp 72, 40 plus years of playing carbs has proven this is about the best set up for auto chokes. There is no need for the choke to be fully closed at room temp.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:24 AM
HoustonDave
Posting Guru
HoustonDave is starting off with a positive reputation.
Note he is saying at 72 degrees... it should close a bit further at lower temps. I think y'all are pretty much saying the same thing using different reference points.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:01 PM
gfburke
Elder User
Well, yeah. But this isn't 'while cold or hot', it's both. Every start. I can watch the choke, it seems to look just fine.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:07 PM
matthewq4b
Postmaster
Well, yeah. But this isn't 'while cold or hot', it's both. Every start. I can watch the choke, it seems to look just fine.
And how did you set the idle air mix ?

Old 03-18-2019, 09:28 PM
gfburke
Elder User
The only screw on there, just all in, then about 2 turns out'ish. Until it sounded good. Yeah idle is good.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:58 PM
matthewq4b
Postmaster
The only screw on there, just all in, then about 2 turns out'ish. Until it sounded good. Yeah idle is good.
Ya really you need a vacuum gauge to set it properly. You can set it close though without a vacuum gauge. Adjust the idle mix screw till you just go past the highest achieved idle and then adjust it back till you get the highest idle. The two turns out is just to get the engine started.

Also make sure you are getting full pump shots from the accelerator pump when the throttle is depressed.
If the carb is adjust properly it should start immediately. So something is not set right.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.