Woodgrain dash types and shades. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Woodgrain dash types and shades.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:53 PM
NZCOBRA
Freshman User
NZCOBRA is starting off with a positive reputation.
Woodgrain dash types and shades.

Can anyone help, how many different shades of the walnut style is there, trying to get my 86 lariat back to original spec , it is not easy choosing what might be the same on ebay and they are sold separate. Are there any of the ford numbers which indicate the woodgrain shade. I bought two dash and center bezel from different sellers and they have good pattern, and fairly good condition , but aren't quite the same ��

Last edited by NZCOBRA; 03-15-2019 at 07:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-15-2019, 02:53 PM
Rembrant
Elder User
Rembrant is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'll probably get this wrong and somebody will be along to correct me for not using the proper Ford terminology, but I believe the wood grain bezels were called Rosewood from 1980-1984, and from 1985-1986 they were called Burlwood, and yes, they are different. The other difference is that 1985-1986 had the DIN style radio/radio opening. So that gives you the year breaks and name differences, at least regarding the imitation wood grain panels. There were a couple other plain grey and black weave versions...and of course the different badged radio bezels with Custom, or XL, XLT, or Lariat, whatever.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:25 PM
NZCOBRA
Freshman User
Burwood

So the two Burwood I have are different shades , I have another center bezel coming ?? , also the sellers camera and lighting all change color . And i suppose that after 33 odd years the hot sun could just fade the . burlwood . I am wondering if I could get like a paint dye that would alter it's shade .probably too hard . Like , remember the original candy apple red , wasn't that a coat of silver , and then they sprayed red dye on top and depending on the dye thickness gave that candy look . I tried some furniture oil to see if it would enrichen it , nope . Cheers

Old 03-15-2019, 05:54 PM
Rembrant
Elder User
Originally Posted by NZCOBRA View Post
And i suppose that after 33 odd years the hot sun could just fade...
Yes sir, it sure does fade. I have the Burlwood bezels in the 1985, and they're faded so bad they're like a dull pinkish color now, and they look the same in person as they do in the picture below. I'm going to paint them a solid color if I don't another decent (non woodgrain) set in the meantime. This old pig won't be back on the road for a while, so time is on my side. I prefer the plain bezels anyway.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:07 PM
NZCOBRA
Freshman User
Thanks, that is a great example .

Old 03-15-2019, 07:08 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
Cory, before you put paint to them wonder if you could try something?
Spray a little clear over the wood part or the whole thing to see what that may do.
I say this based on back in the day when wagons had wood down the sides it would turn hazy white.
We would tape off out side the mood, remember the wood molding out lining the wood grain? We would clear it also and it would look new again.
Good enough for the front line on the used car lot LOL

Just like to know if it would do the same or not.
Dave ----

Old 03-15-2019, 07:37 PM
Rembrant
Elder User
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2 View Post
Cory, before you put paint to them wonder if you could try something?
Spray a little clear over the wood part or the whole thing to see what that may do.
Ha! Dave, I will give it a try, but I dunno...I think it may just end up with a glossy faded look...lol, does that sound right?...

Old 03-15-2019, 08:16 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
It may look just like that "glossy faded look" but it is worth a try to see.
I think you will tell with just 1 coat, you could on the wagons.
If it does not help just paint it in the color you want.
Dave ----

Old 03-16-2019, 04:27 AM
vroma
Junior User
vroma is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wood grain hydro-dip

The best remedy I’ve seen online is Hydrographic Water Transfer Film or “hydro-dip”:
https://www.google.com/search?q=wood+grain+hydro+dip

You can DIY or send it to a pro.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:26 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
I have looked into that a wile back and if I remember the biggest thing was timing.
The sheet had to soak just the right time before you dipped other than that was easy.
Dave - - - -

Old 03-16-2019, 06:29 AM
Olds64
Posting Guru
Olds64 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Does LMC trucks carry a vinyl applique in different shades of woodgrain? I know you can get generic vinyl woodgrain from JC Whitney (at least you used to). The Big 3 used woodgrain stickers in the 70s and 80s in the interior and on station wagons. The problem is finding the exact match if your doing an OE restoration. Good luck.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:07 AM
vroma
Junior User
vroma is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Olds64 View Post
Does LMC trucks carry a vinyl applique in different shades of woodgrain? I know you can get generic vinyl woodgrain from JC Whitney (at least you used to). The Big 3 used woodgrain stickers in the 70s and 80s in the interior and on station wagons. The problem is finding the exact match if your doing an OE restoration. Good luck.
Is the wood grain a vinyl sticker? It doesn’t feel like it... You can still find Ford wood grain vinyl on an auction site.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:31 AM
NZCOBRA
Freshman User
The difference

Looks slightly better in this out side photo.
Thanks , not doing a proper resto, just keep tidying things up , I wasn't sure if there were different Burlwood shades from ford with different part numbers from the 80s , just want it to be roughly the same , 385 CI w engine is nearly there , I had a lot of left over aftermarket parts , so also not too worried about totally "stock" , I will consider the sticky stuff , I have another center bezel coming so will check that out when it arrives. Thanks

Old 03-16-2019, 10:42 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
I would say that one got more sun than the other to lighten it up more.
Also in nature different trees will some what give different colors too ..... yea that's what it is
Dave ----

Old 03-16-2019, 02:55 PM
Kramercd
Senior User
Kramercd is starting off with a positive reputation.
You could always try a tinted clear coat. A lot of stains are polyurethane base, so it's all one process. Mix the color of your choice with clear polyurethane until you get the tint you want, I'd advise not to get it too dark, may cover up the grain.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.