Sponsored by: Moser

Reaching the frame with jack

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 10:52 AM
Horsethief
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Reaching the frame with jack

Howdy. So in the process of making my truck drive, track, and handle better I have decided the rear leafs need replacing. Trick sits around an inch or two lower in back so also just want to level it out. 1973 f100 2wd with 4 inch sus lift, and 3 body. The question I have is how the hell to reach frame so I can pick er up and change springs? Frame sits 2 1/2 feet off ground, and haven't seen (in my know nothing beginner experience) a Jack that reaches more than 18 inches ot so, other that those bumper offroad ones. Is it safe, or even doable to just stack some wood blocks on the Jack to reach? Even then I guess I will have to spend more cash on higher stands. Any tips/tricks? Thanx!

Old 03-15-2019, 11:27 AM
wyrm73
Laughing Gas
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts
Personally, for lifting the rear, I just put the jack under the center of the differential housing and lift from there. Just make sure your jack can handle that much weight before you do. Not sure if that is the "correct" way, but it works and does not seem to cause any damage. I would not use wood blocks with a floor jack style as they have to roll forward as the lift arm arcs backwards as it lifts. You would probably be OK with wood blocks under a bottle jack as long as you don't stack them too high and make sure they are good and stable before you start. I've done that before too, but then again, I have done a lot of sketchy things in my life and somehow lived to tell about it. YYMV.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:45 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,279 Likes on 2,437 Posts
You need to be very careful jacking and frame blocking a truck to remove the rear leaf springs. Using proper jack stands that are tall enough it the best route. Harbor Fright has some tall ones, ck them.

Or like something from here. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...iAAEgLdv_D_BwE

But for a probably one time use, that lots of $ to spend. Might call around any local tool rental places to see if they have any, and a good 2 or 3 ton roller floor jack for the rear axle. You can use railroad ties cut into 3' pieces and or 6x6 wood post pieces stacked up. Holler center cement blocks NOT a smart idea. Some steel tall 3 out leg jack stands is the best way to do it.

You are going to be tugging, pulling, pushing to get those leaf springs/bolts out and the truck needs to be secure. Start spraying your u bolts now, they are fine threads and never do come off easy. Might look into ordering new ones. Cutting them will make for a faster easier job overall.

I hate to make other suggestions that are not smart ones as far as supporting the truck. If you remove the rims/tires that will give you more suspension drop room.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:49 AM
Horsethief
Tuned
Yeah I am no stranger to sketchy stuff, the problem is I have to lift the frame to let the wheels hang loose to drop out the leafs. I could spend 400 bucks on a fancy Jack that will work, but my $2000 budget for this truck over the summer is mostly spoken for already, and I really don't want to. I would rather just redneck it and put that cash into the motor

Old 03-15-2019, 11:50 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Easy you lift from the diff and put the jack stands on the frame. Pull the wheels off and lower the rear axle to swap the springs.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:57 AM
Horsethief
Tuned
Yeah. Definitely gonna need a few stands that are made for it. As you say, pulling, yanking, and all that good stuff is gonna be a little sketchy for even me considering all I have is dirt, and grass on the floor. Not even flat dirt at that. Railroad tie is a good idea though . I didn't even think of that. Might have to travel to find a few though, as I live In a 1 traffic light town in the middle-o-nowhere Arizona

Old 03-15-2019, 12:00 PM
Horsethief
Tuned
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
Easy you lift from the diff and put the jack stands on the frame. Pull the wheels off and lower the rear axle to swap the springs.
lmfao....there it is..couldn't tell ya why that didn't even cross my damn mind... THANKS!

Old 03-15-2019, 02:00 PM
njdevil77
Tuned
Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
I would just do one side at a time. Lift the say, left side, high enough to get the wheel back on with the new spring. Change everything on that side with the other 3 wheels on the ground. When you are done replacing everything, put the wheel back on, drop the truck, then repeat the process on the right side. I would invest in some taller jack stands to do this, but at least you have 3 wheels on the ground at all times instead of just the front 2. Would be a little more stable, this is how I did my brakes.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:32 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,087 Likes on 1,780 Posts
You could also use a engine hoist to lift the truck and then support the frame as stated above.
Once the frame is supported you can use the floor jack to raise / lower the axle as needed.
Dave ----

Old 03-15-2019, 05:46 PM
Blue and White
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I use the jack under the differential and jack stands under the frame approach. Often you can leave the tires on. Also one spring at a time keeps the axle from moving/twisting.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:28 PM
john jamieson
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
This may sound like it should be common sense, But make sure you disconnect The parking brake cables so as the axle drops, it doesn't stretch them and cause damage. I just replaced the front shackle bushings on my rear leafs and am now replacing the rear cables on my '66 .

Old 03-15-2019, 07:43 PM
flowney
Cargo Master
Received 254 Likes on 187 Posts
Here's how I did it. My jack stands were not tall enough so I bought eight solid concrete blocks for a buck a piece. I then used four on each side to build a platform for the jack stands, two on the first story and two on the second in the opposite direction. After jacking the rear up by the differential, I placed the jack stands ahead of the springs and let the weight of the rear settle. This allowed me to get the back of the truck high enough to roll everything out from under the truck as one unit, wheels and all. I had also removed the bumper.

Old 03-16-2019, 12:31 AM
meangreen92
Logistics Pro
Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by flowney
Here's how I did it. My jack stands were not tall enough so I bought eight solid concrete blocks for a buck a piece. I then used four on each side to build a platform for the jack stands, two on the first story and two on the second in the opposite direction. After jacking the rear up by the differential, I placed the jack stands ahead of the springs and let the weight of the rear settle. This allowed me to get the back of the truck high enough to roll everything out from under the truck as one unit, wheels and all. I had also removed the bumper.
I've heard to not use concrete blocks or cinder blocks, but I've never let it stop me... Your plan sounds OK, but I think I'd want a ample-sized piece of wood between the jackstand and the concrete.

I've never done anything with leaf springs, but I really like the ideas of doing the job with three wheels on the ground, and without even removing any wheels/tires.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:25 AM
5851a
Logistics Pro
Received 720 Likes on 570 Posts
I bought 4 heavy jack stands from the S on tool man at the shop. Dang that guy knew how to sell tools. Point is they don't wear out and you can use them forever, well at least as long as you can pick them up. Had a truck on all four with all wheels off ground and it was rock solid.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:39 AM
84espy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quick Reply: Reaching the frame with jack