97 F250 7.5L/460 Evap hoses - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

97 F250 7.5L/460 Evap hoses

Old 03-14-2019, 10:41 PM
thisismatt
New User
thisismatt is starting off with a positive reputation.
97 F250 7.5L/460 Evap hoses

I have a 97 F250 7.5L/460 work truck with California emissions. I'm throwing the code for the evap purge valve, along with a seemingly random blinking OD light (sometimes blinks, sometimes doesn't). The mechanic has already replaced the purge valve, but the code came back shortly after. I'm ticked at the mechanic since they replaced the purge valve and didn't bother to replace any of the many cracking vacuum hoses, and it's a huge hassle to be without the truck for work. I occasionally notice a humming noise, which happened again today, so I parked and popped the hood with the engine running and the humming was coming from the purge vavle, and I could make it stop/start by flexing one of the cracked connecting hoses.

My main question is: Is there a good exploded diagram I could pull all the hose part numbers from, or a list of all the vacuum hoses? I'm mainly talking about the rubber, molded hoses that make the connections between the various fittings and components.

Thanks for any help!

Old 03-15-2019, 12:29 PM
sandymane
Posting Guru
sandymane is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sandymane is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You should have a complete vacuum diagram on your hood. Good idea to replace them all if cracked and deteriorated. Do you remember the code, or have a new code now? Sandy

Old 03-15-2019, 12:38 PM
thisismatt
New User
P0443 is the code. I haven't pulled the codes again in a while but I will double check to see if there is anything new.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:46 PM
sandymane
Posting Guru
sandymane is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sandymane is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If you are throwing the same code you may have a bad purge valve, especially if the code went away after he replaced it. Bad off shore parts are a very common problem today. Buy Motorcraft when you can. Your bad vacuum line is a very good suspect to make the code reappear also. Auto parts stores will cut the hose to your size but make sure it is a vacuum hose. Your blinking OD light is a concern. Hopefully you will get a code for it. Sandy

Old 03-15-2019, 05:52 PM
thisismatt
New User
There are no other codes, but I don't have a Ford specific reader to pull the specialty codes from the OD light. The purge valve appears to be a genuine FoMoCo, not generic.

One of the vacuum hoses off the purge valve is a medium radius molded 90 with one side larger than the other. Then there is another at the canister that is a sharp molded 90. Those were the ones I was hoping to possibly get directly from Ford, but I don't know the part numbers.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:15 PM
sandymane
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by thisismatt View Post
There are no other codes, but I don't have a Ford specific reader to pull the specialty codes from the OD light. The purge valve appears to be a genuine FoMoCo, not generic.

One of the vacuum hoses off the purge valve is a medium radius molded 90 with one side larger than the other. Then there is another at the canister that is a sharp molded 90. Those were the ones I was hoping to possibly get directly from Ford, but I don't know the part numbers.
Reply is below.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:16 PM
sandymane
Posting Guru

A lot of us use Rockauto. Look them up as they usually have what you need. On the OD I think you said the flashing was intermittent. Does anything unusual happen when it flashes? Also your code was in factf for the purge solenoid. If it's good the vac lines should take care of it. Sandy

Old 03-15-2019, 06:55 PM
torq'ta 5 8
Freshman User
torq'ta 5 8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
if you got autozone,advanced auto, O'reilly, near you, you can check size you need,

4pcs $5

65pcs $9

Old 03-15-2019, 07:09 PM
thisismatt
New User
Nothing happens with the flashing OD light, but it did coincide with the purge valve code. I checked with Ford and they don't even have the hoses anymore. I guess they don't typically expect their vehicles to last 20 years, but I only get about 3k/year on this one. I will try to cobble something together with generic parts - thanks!

Old 03-15-2019, 07:30 PM
sandymane
Posting Guru
See if these folks can help you. Sandy

https://parts.ford.com/shop/SearchDi...hTermPrepared=

Old 03-18-2019, 07:10 PM
thisismatt
New User
I replaced the parts under the hood with some parts store hoses & hardware. CEL stayed off most of the day, but then returned. I still need to check the lines at the fuel tank. This problem also started after having the midship fuel pump replaced, which also was allowing the rear tank to backfill the midship tank and leak out the filler cap. Is it possible to be getting this code due to faulty/damaged fuel cap(s)?

Old 03-18-2019, 07:36 PM
sandymane
Posting Guru
I replaced the parts under the hood with some parts store hoses & hardware. CEL stayed off most of the day, but then returned. I still need to check the lines at the fuel tank. This problem also started after having the midship fuel pump replaced, which also was allowing the rear tank to backfill the midship tank and leak out the filler cap. Is it possible to be getting this code due to faulty/damaged fuel cap(s)?
Did did you replace the purge valve?

Old 03-18-2019, 07:51 PM
thisismatt
New User
Originally Posted by sandymane View Post
Did did you replace the purge valve?
No, it's brand new as of a few weeks ago, Ford part

Old 03-18-2019, 08:01 PM
sandymane
Posting Guru
No, it's brand new as of a few weeks ago, Ford part
Is
​​​​​that the one the mechanic replaced?

Old 03-18-2019, 08:26 PM
thisismatt
New User
Yes.......

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.