Wanting to clean up some very light frame rust. Evapo rust Gel or Metal Rescue? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 1999 to 2016 Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Wanting to clean up some very light frame rust. Evapo rust Gel or Metal Rescue?

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Old 03-14-2019, 10:07 PM
GN1220
Senior User
GN1220 is starting off with a positive reputation.

I've been reading reviews on both of these products and each seem to have pros/cons. Some say the Evaporust is easy to use but didn't work so well. Others say the Metal Rescue works great but you have to wrap it in plastic. Obviously wrapping my frame and suspension with plastic wrap isn't realistic. What have you guys used and what were your experiences?

Old 03-15-2019, 08:35 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.
Rust..... remove it.. and repaint..

if there was an easy way that WORKED.. the US Navy would be using it..

just saying.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:58 AM
GN1220
Senior User
So are you saying to use Naval Jelly? I came across that this morning doing research and had forgotten all about that stuff. Seems even better than the other two I mentioned for what I am trying to do.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:36 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by GN1220 View Post
So are you saying to use Naval Jelly? I came across that this morning doing research and had forgotten all about that stuff. Seems even better than the other two I mentioned for what I am trying to do.
I would put that one.. with the other 2 you asked about.. "Wishful Thinking"....

aka sand down the rust.. and repaint...

I have "LOST" several good cars.. do to rust an the promises of magic coatings....

Like Zebart... at the end of the day.. they give you your money back... after 2 repairs of rust...
but NOT the yearly maintenance costs.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:27 PM
Mike1
Posting Guru
Mike1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Navel Jelly works very well to remove rust, after applying it and wiping it off, you'll have to use something like acetone or acetate to clean the metal, then get it primed and painted quickly as it will start rusting again right away. If it's really very light rust, you could just use a wire brush on your grinder and get rid of it quickly then primer and paint it.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:46 PM
sunuvabug
Elder User
sunuvabug is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sunuvabug is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If its not super thick, layered and loose, POR 15 has worked well for me and I am in salt/rust country.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:00 PM
JalopyJake
Junior User
JalopyJake is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by GN1220 View Post
I've been reading reviews on both of these products and each seem to have pros/cons. Some say the Evaporust is easy to use but didn't work so well. Others say the Metal Rescue works great but you have to wrap it in plastic. Obviously wrapping my frame and suspension with plastic wrap isn't realistic. What have you guys used and what were your experiences?
No experience with those but I have been using a product called OSPHO on my f100 restorations for years with great results especially on frame and suspension parts where sandblasting is not always feasible. Basically you remove as much rust as possible (preferably with a angle grinder/wire wheel if you can) and then "scrub" the residual rust with Ospho and a scuff pad. It converts the left over rust to a blackish primer that can be sanded and epoxied or topcoated. Ospho is available at some hardware stores or online in gallon jugs. Usually about $25. You put it in a spray bottle and spray it on. The trick is scrubbing the rust thoroughly with a good scuff pad. If rust is bad enough multiple applications may be needed.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:16 PM
GN1220
Senior User
This is what I'm dealing with. Most people wouldn't even complain but this has happened on my watch and I want to get it fixed.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:50 AM
speedfreak78
Senior User
speedfreak78 is starting off with a positive reputation.
That's nothing, there's new trucks around here on dealer lots with surface rust like that. Pressure wash with a degreasing soap, dry thoroughly, paint with rustoleum rust converter, then top coat with an oil based paint. Or just use Por15 by itself for a more permanent solution. Without painting the inside of the frame, it's not going to stop it, just slow it down. Every frame I've seen rot started on the inside where dirt collected and holds moisture.

Regular washing of the under carriage and yearly oil spraying would be enough to stop that from ever getting worse.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.