Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.7 Engine Brake and Mileage

 
  #1  
Old 03-14-2019, 07:21 PM
mattymax
mattymax is online now
Elder User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 708
mattymax is starting off with a positive reputation.
6.7 Engine Brake and Mileage

Havenít had my 2019 for long but I remember reading a post a while back that said guys use the engine brake on auto even when empty. Iíve been using it back and forth to work on auto and it works good.

I havenít paid much attention to mileage but will there be a difference in mileage between not even touching the brake and having it on Auto ? Having it off the truck seems to roll a lot nicer

What do you guys do for normal commuting ??

thanks
matt
 
  #2  
Old 03-14-2019, 08:05 PM
jrwinger's Avatar
jrwinger
jrwinger is online now
Senior User
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Northern California
Posts: 153
jrwinger is starting off with a positive reputation.
I go back and forth. I drive all day every day for work (I own a service company). I'm probably 60% city, 40% highway/freeway. I use the brake all the time when exiting offramps & allow the engine brake slow the truck down. Same thing in freeway traffic. I've upgraded to the Raptor steering wheel with the paddle shifters, so it makes it a hoot to drive in traffic. I rarely have to use my brakes.

On city streets, I don't use it as much. Just doesn't' seem to engage/slow the truck as much when you're going under 30 MPH unloaded.

I average about 16k miles a year on my 350 & average MPG is 13.7. Not breaking any records, but for a 60/40 split city/hwy I'll take it.
 
  #3  
Old 03-14-2019, 10:25 PM
Sport45's Avatar
Sport45
Sport45 is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 951
Sport45 is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you're trying to maximize mpg don't use the EB unless you need it. Anything that impedes coasting is costing you fuel.
 
  #4  
Old 03-15-2019, 09:25 AM
MBaldo
MBaldo is offline
Junior User
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 92
MBaldo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Have any of you tried the engine brake towing a trailer or a heavy load? I have a brand new F350 and haven't towed yet with it. I had an aftermarket engine brake from Banks in my 2005 Dodge Cummins. It worked very well.

I'm wondering how the performace is with this OEM built in engine brake system. I tow a 44' Toy Hauler (heavy - 16K). Does it work by tapping the brake? Does it hold the speed on a downhill decent?
 
  #5  
Old 03-15-2019, 09:40 AM
wrvond's Avatar
wrvond
wrvond is online now
Posting Guru
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 2,402
wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by MBaldo View Post
Have any of you tried the engine brake towing a trailer or a heavy load? I have a brand new F350 and haven't towed yet with it. I had an aftermarket engine brake from Banks in my 2005 Dodge Cummins. It worked very well.

I'm wondering how the performace is with this OEM built in engine brake system. I tow a 44' Toy Hauler (heavy - 16K). Does it work by tapping the brake? Does it hold the speed on a downhill decent?
The first press turns on the engine brake, the second press puts it in auto. In manual, the brake is set to whatever speed you are traveling at the time, auto doesn't do anything until you press the brake. Whatever speed you are going when you release the brake is what the auto is set at. They both work quite well. I go through Rocky Gap quite often, last week it was snowing, and the brake holds speed quite well pulling even the heaviest 5er.

Note: I would say that it not just strictly an engine brake. More like an engine brake management system. When the going gets really steep I've seen the transmission kick down in conjunction with the engine brake to maintain speed.
 
  #6  
Old 03-15-2019, 11:00 AM
MBaldo
MBaldo is offline
Junior User
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 92
MBaldo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
The first press turns on the engine brake, the second press puts it in auto. In manual, the brake is set to whatever speed you are traveling at the time, auto doesn't do anything until you press the brake. Whatever speed you are going when you release the brake is what the auto is set at. They both work quite well. I go through Rocky Gap quite often, last week it was snowing, and the brake holds speed quite well pulling even the heaviest 5er.

Note: I would say that it not just strictly an engine brake. More like an engine brake management system. When the going gets really steep I've seen the transmission kick down in conjunction with the engine brake to maintain speed.
That is great to know that Ford did a good job on this engine brake system. The engine brake is super important to me with my Toy Hauler. I'm still setting up my new truck to tow, so I haven't tried it yet.
 
  #7  
Old 03-15-2019, 12:37 PM
2009kr
2009kr is online now
Posting Guru
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2,147
2009kr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by MBaldo View Post
Have any of you tried the engine brake towing a trailer or a heavy load? I have a brand new F350 and haven't towed yet with it. I had an aftermarket engine brake from Banks in my 2005 Dodge Cummins. It worked very well.

I'm wondering how the performace is with this OEM built in engine brake system. I tow a 44' Toy Hauler (heavy - 16K). Does it work by tapping the brake? Does it hold the speed on a downhill decent?
I'm just over 26k# loaded with my 5th wheel. With the engine brake on auto, it'll hold 65 on a 6 5% mountain descent around 2600 RPMs in 5th (2017 F450).
 
  #8  
Old 03-15-2019, 01:48 PM
MBaldo
MBaldo is offline
Junior User
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 92
MBaldo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 2009kr View Post
I'm just over 26k# loaded with my 5th wheel. With the engine brake on auto, it'll hold 65 on a 6 5% mountain descent around 2600 RPMs in 5th (2017 F450).
Good to know Do you think it would hold you at say 35 mph on a steep downgrade if you pushed twice on the brake to set the speed?
 
  #9  
Old 03-16-2019, 08:17 AM
Brown Dog ADV's Avatar
Brown Dog ADV
Brown Dog ADV is offline
New User
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 18
Brown Dog ADV is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up

The '19 F350 is my first experience with the Engine Brake. I was very happy with the auto function while descending a snowy grade recently pulling my snowmobile trailer at slower speeds. As wrvond mentioned, it seemed to work in conjunction with the transmission to help maintain speed without the need to touch the brakes.
 
  #10  
Old 03-16-2019, 09:12 AM
mtnguy
mtnguy is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 158
mtnguy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mtnguy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by MBaldo View Post
Good to know Do you think it would hold you at say 35 mph on a steep downgrade if you pushed twice on the brake to set the speed?
On the curvy 7-8% grades around here, I will manually shift the tranny into 3rd, and the engine brake (in manual mode) holds the speed with a 12,000 lb 5th wheel pushing me down the mountain. I still need to apply brakes a bit on the sharper turns. the reason I do a manual gear selection is so that the tranny will not shift to 2nd automatically when I brake for the slower curves. The engine brake works great !!
 
  #11  
Old 03-16-2019, 09:38 AM
MBaldo
MBaldo is offline
Junior User
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 92
MBaldo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
On the curvy 7-8% grades around here, I will manually shift the tranny into 3rd, and the engine brake (in manual mode) holds the speed with a 12,000 lb 5th wheel pushing me down the mountain. I still need to apply brakes a bit on the sharper turns. the reason I do a manual gear selection is so that the tranny will not shift to 2nd automatically when I brake for the slower curves. The engine brake works great !!
Awesome. Good to hear. In my old Dodge with the Banks system, I used to shift it into 1st gear and crawl down some steep curvy roads here in Utah. I'm excited to tow with the new F350. Thanks for the replies. Very helpful and encouraging for sure.
 
  #12  
Old 03-16-2019, 10:58 AM
Adam R
Adam R is online now
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 369
Adam R is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Adam R is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've heard that using cruise control on icy/snowy roads is a bad idea so I would think that using the exhaust brake while descending icy/snowy roads could come with some surprises if you hit a slick spot.

If you do use the exhaust brake in situations where traction is less than optimal, does the exhaust brake turn off once a loss of traction is sensed?
 
  #13  
Old 03-16-2019, 12:12 PM
mhoefer's Avatar
mhoefer
mhoefer is online now
Postmaster
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 3,824
mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.
Yes, the traction control traction control and sway, yaw control do work, however, with a total loss of traction, bad things can happen. I don’t use cruise, but I do use engine braking in moderation on slippery roads. You do have to be ready to disengage it.

on the mileage, in my experience, and I am at 46,000 km, engine braking makes no difference in fuel mileage over the longer term of a tank full of diesel. I have done comparisons with none, and full, and auto and can’t detect a difference on total distance travellled for the same trip. I stopped comparing about 30,000 km ago, and use the EB nearly 100% of the time.
 
  #14  
Old 03-16-2019, 06:14 PM
dieseldrive
dieseldrive is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 110
dieseldrive is starting off with a positive reputation.
Its an exhaust brake (not an engine brake)

There's a big difference
 
  #15  
Old 03-16-2019, 08:38 PM
Keith102479
Keith102479 is offline
New User
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 5
Keith102479 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Has anybody found a way to make it so the exhaust brake comes on automatically when you start the truck? Our ambulance is around 16,700lbs, so we prefer that our drivers use the exhaust brake to help save the brakes a little when clearing intersections or during normal driving. We find it also gives our patients and providers a smoother ride in the back as there is not constant brake pressure being applied. It is a hassle to remind everyone to press the button before every call. The internationals we just moved from had a simple on/off switch.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.