Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Reload this Page >

Coolant Smell Drivers Front Wheel Well

Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 03-14-2019, 05:27 PM
cmayer
New User
cmayer is starting off with a positive reputation.

Have strong coolant smell coming from outside the cab by the driver's side wheel well. I don't see any coolant leaking, no streaks on belts or hoses, and no crystal trails anywhere under there. Coolant overflow is full, but the coolant itself is a dark brown color. No milkshake on the underside of the oil fill cap or dipstick.

Anyone have a similar situation and figured it out? New engine installed in February, but not sure that the warranty work will cover radiator, hoses, oil cooler, or other such things that I'd associate with the coolant smell.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:01 PM
SmackDaddy
Posting Guru
SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.
I assume 6.0 or 7.3 if it has an oil cooler. Can you give us more information?

Old 03-14-2019, 07:35 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog
Nicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputation
There is a heater hose that attaches to the driver side of the block on the 7.3 just below the #8 piston. Follow that up to a "quick disconnect" fitting on the hardline running along the firewall. 6.uh-oh may have the same hose/hard line in that location.

Anyway, that quick disconnect fitting failed on mine a few years ago. Took me a long time to find that leak.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:16 PM
cmayer
New User
cmayer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
I assume 6.0 or 7.3 if it has an oil cooler. Can you give us more information?
It's a gasser v10. They have oil coolers where the oil filter mounts to the block.

Confirmed that the oil cooler failed. New OEM unit, tons of coolant system flushing, and an oil change to fix it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.