Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PATS, Keys, Ignition Lock....

Old 03-14-2019, 09:09 AM
EXSwap
Elder User
EXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to all
PATS, Keys, Ignition Lock....

Oh my!

Wanted to get some feedback from folks. I've read the tech folder for PATS, and I've done enough research to know I have to have an extended license for Forscan in order to program a couple new keys for my X. Folks that follow my build thread will know that I'm closer every day to getting the Cummins swapped in with a G56 Trans. Last year, my ignition switch cover (where you put the key in) broke off, my door chime runs all the time when the door is open (key in or not), and my key can sometimes be hard to turn off all the way. Needless to say, I need a new ignition switch and key(s). I'd like to end up with 2. The ignition switch with 2 PATS keys is readily available on ebay. Here's one I found quickly:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-F150-9...8AAOSwhcJWQrIr

I know I'll have to go through a vetting process to actually get the extended license for Forscan (as anyone should given what it can do). Given that I'm going to completely disassemble the X (think body off resto mod), monkey with a whole host of wiring, and put it all back together with a new powerplant, AND keep as much of the electronics as possible (electronic shift transfer case, cruise, all gauges in the dash working, etc.), would y'all go ahead with the ignition change along with programming 2 new keys before or after all that work? I'm inclined to do it before I really tear anything apart so that I'm 100% certain it all works as planned (and I may have just talked myself into it )

As always, any pointers are greatly appreciated!

Old 03-14-2019, 09:35 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
Or you could disable pats so you don’t need to program keys.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:56 AM
EXSwap
Elder User
EXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to all
Which requires a PCM program correct? Looking at the Forscan forum, it appears that that the program will not disable PATS.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:12 AM
unleashd
Posting Guru
unleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud of
Last year, when I went through the whole PCM replacement process, I
bought this set of keys bought this set of keys
and the dealer programmed them for me for no additional charge.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:30 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by EXSwap View Post
Which requires a PCM program correct? Looking at the Forscan forum, it appears that that the program will not disable PATS.

I had Johnathan do my PCM programming.
https://www.dieseltechchatt.com/prod...m-manual-trans

Old 03-14-2019, 12:36 PM
projectSHO89
Post Fiend
projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.
There is no "vetting process" for the Forscan license, you just ask for it and it's there.

PATS can be deleted by a tuner using a custom tune, it cannot be disabled via Forscan.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:01 PM
EXSwap
Elder User
Thanks all for the responses! I'll procure a Windows 7 box and see what I can do with Forscan. I'd prefer to have the system in place as it's my intention to keep as many functions as possible in the X. If nothing else, to say I did it.

Once I get everything lined up, I'll do a writeup on all the steps involved.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:31 PM
Pele
Elder User
Pele has a great reputation on FTE.Pele has a great reputation on FTE.Pele has a great reputation on FTE.Pele has a great reputation on FTE.
I bought my Excursion with ONE key. Furthermore, I changed all the lock cylinders over to match my company's Ford fleet key so that I'd know the key code off the top of my head.

I remember that I DID use ForScan to activate two brand new keys to my Excursion. As far as the exact steps, I can not remember.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:51 AM
RPhil
Senior User
RPhil is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.RPhil is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
There isn't any real reason to wait to perform the work, just do it now.

I have been putting off programming new keys for my truck as it came with only one. I recall reading that if I only had one programmed then I would need to essentially "erase" the only key and start from scratch (as opposed to being able to duplicate what I already had, which I believe was only possible with two already-programmed keys). I'm nervous I would mess something up and end up having to have either a mobile locksmith come out or get it towed somewhere.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:23 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.
Why do you need PATS keys if you are Cummins swapping it?
Are you keeping the Ford PCM, and if so who is going to tune it for the Cummins?

Old 03-15-2019, 03:20 PM
EXSwap
Elder User
I don't need the PATS keys, but I'd like to keep them. Honestly, there's no real need for them and I'd probably be better off canning the whole thing. Alas, I'm a glutton for trying to make stuff work when it's not needed or supposed to. Or, a glutton for punishment, same thing.

I will be keeping the PCM and no tuning at this point. The only thing that I can think of that I'll really need it for is the electronic 4x4 and even that may end up being changed up in the process. Until I actually get everything torn down and start building it back, I won't know for sure. I've also read so many write-ups, forum posts, and internet lies that who the heck knows what'll happen at this point.

I ordered the ignition lock and keys today and I'll find a laptop with Windows 7 on it and install before the teardown begins.

Old 03-16-2019, 06:19 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.
What if you had a Cummins from a bigger Ford that you were going to swap in and tune the existing PCM for it? I guess that would be too easy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.