Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best tire pressure

Old 03-14-2019, 08:55 AM
Dweber85rc
New User
Dweber85rc is starting off with a positive reputation.
Best tire pressure

Just wondering what you all think would be a good tire pressure to run on my excursion. I have 285/70r17 load range e tires on it. I just got the truck and it is stock otherwise. They are at 45 lbs right now. Normally on a vehicle that doesn't have stock size tires I will air them up high and use the side walk chalk test to get the pressure right but with the snow and ice covered roads that won't work.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:17 AM
EXSwap
Elder User
EXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to all
My guess is those Load Range E tires have a max pressure of 70 PSI. I run mine at 60 for daily driving (highway and city), and 65 or 70 if I have a car load of kids, dogs, and camper behind me. I find that with my tires, anything less than 50, the X will start getting squishy and move around a bit on the highway at speed and overall doesn't ride very well (feels loose). I'm running the Michelin LTX MS2

Old 03-14-2019, 09:21 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
For that size tire 45 psi will support 2510 lbs per tire or 5020 per axle.

that would support the Ex GVWR but not the Rear GAWR, it is 5250.

50 psi would support 2755 per tire or 5510 for the axle.

so you could run 45/45 unload and 45/50 loaded

load and inflation table
https://www.toyotires.com/media/2125...s_20170203.pdf

Old 03-14-2019, 09:32 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by EXSwap View Post
My guess is those Load Range E tires have a max pressure of 70 PSI. I run mine at 60 for daily driving (highway and city), and 65 or 70 if I have a car load of kids, dogs, and camper behind me. I find that with my tires, anything less than 50, the X will start getting squishy and move around a bit on the highway at speed and overall doesn't ride very well (feels loose). I'm running the Michelin LTX MS2
tire pressure is determined by tire size and intended payload, regardless of manufacture or load rating, you donít say what size tire you are running but even the stock 265/75/16 @70 psi will support 3105 per tire or 12,420 total, Your excursion has a GVWR of 9200 lbs so even if you were at max payload capacity you are overinflated by a good margin,

a lower or should I say the correct air pressure will give you better traction which shortens threshold braking distances and will improve ride comfort and handeling.

if you do not have stock tires then look up your tire size and get the correct pressure for your intended payload.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:25 AM
EXSwap
Elder User
EXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to all
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo View Post

tire pressure is determined by tire size and intended payload, regardless of manufacture or load rating, you donít say what size tire you are running but even the stock 265/75/16 @70 psi will support 3105 per tire or 12,420 total, Your excursion has a GVWR of 9200 lbs so even if you were at max payload capacity you are overinflated by a good margin,

a lower or should I say the correct air pressure will give you better traction which shortens threshold braking distances and will improve ride comfort and handeling.

if you do not have stock tires then look up your tire size and get the correct pressure for your intended payload.
I do in fact have stock tire size. I may be overinflated from a technical and payload standpoint, but I cannot stand the feel of the ride when I'm not running 60 psi. It feels way too squishy and seems to be more "all over the road". That may be attributed to some worn parts in the front end as I have not had an alignment or checked them in a while (I do have even tire wear and straight tracking in my current configuration). I'll find out when I tear it all down as I'll be checking everything from the ground up and replacing new as necessary. A new inflation point may be in order after that. Certainly with a completely new suspension setup, it'll probably handle like a totally different truck and I expect to change some of my opinions on such things as it all shakes out!

Old 03-15-2019, 09:52 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
sounds reasonable, at the moment nothing particularly comes to minds but it makes sense that if you are overinflating to correct a handling issue that something is amiss. it could very well be the tires themself are not to your liking.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:34 AM
DavenTn
Fishslayer
DavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud of
Tire pressure should match conditions. However we all know conditions are not static. Road surfaces in summer months can exceed 130* on a regular basis.... and then it rains, while pulling 10K on I-40 with 8% grade.... and 6 months later the temp is 0*, snowing, while avoiding rock/mud slides on 8% grade and now you've gotta put chains on.

However, most of the time in summer I check tire temperature, and use this as my bench mark. I like to keep them around 120*. I've only used nitrogen in race tires. I care very little about "ride" but more about how it rides.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:16 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
Yup just look at road racing and how fickle tire pressures are, even if or when they get a good handle on their setups the sun can go behind the clouds and cool the track requiring 1/2 psi adjustments to tires trying to get the car to handle better.
Tire pressure adjustments are a never ending variable for all the reason you just stated ( and a whole lot more )

short answer is really there is no “Best” psi but the chart is a good place to start because it at least cover the payload aspect.
from there testing and tuning of which a IR temp gun is cruicial. I carry one in my door pocket and use it almost every time I drive my Ex, always something to be learned

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.