Rough Idle Burning Fuel Rich - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Rough Idle Burning Fuel Rich

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Rough Idle Burning Fuel Rich

Old 03-14-2019, 10:19 PM
David Fehir
Senior User
David Fehir is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
Clear DTCs, drive it then scan again for DTCs. It might pop up.
I'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but what might pop up? Are you referring to the crank shaft sensor code?

Old 03-14-2019, 10:21 PM
SmackDaddy
Posting Guru
SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.
Yes sir. I may be wrong but it’s worth a shot. Clear DTCs, drive it then scan for codes after. I had some crazy surging and smoke with my crank sensor issue.. I had a thread about it called “Surging” last year. I have a write up in the 6.0 Tech Folder on how to change it out.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:37 PM
David Fehir
Senior User
Yes sir. I may be wrong but it’s worth a shot. Clear DTCs, drive it then scan for codes after. I had some crazy surging and smoke with my crank sensor issue.. I had a thread about it called “Surging” last year.
I will give that a try. So what if a code for crank shaft sensor pops up? Does that mean I have a bad crank shaft sensor? If it doesn't pop up and the cam sensor code pops again with the injector codes? What could that mean?

Old 03-14-2019, 10:53 PM
SmackDaddy
Posting Guru
SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.
The crank sensor is about $35 and an hour to swap. The cam sensor I have never swapped but is supposedly a little harder because of the length and location. Look in the 6.0 tech folder for my write up, it shows everything. My o-ring was smashed on one side and must have been leaking long enough to finally soak the connection and throw it off. It ohmed out fine but for $36 I replaced it.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:55 PM
David Fehir
Senior User
The crank sensor is about $35 and an hour to swap. The cam sensor I have never swapped but is supposedly a little harder because of the length and location. Look in the 6.0 tech folder for my write up, it shows everything. My o-ring was smashed on one side and must have been leaking long enough to finally soak the connection and throw it off. It ohmed out fine but for $36 I replaced it.
so you didn't actually have a code for it but you changed it because it was leaking?

Old 03-14-2019, 11:52 PM
SmackDaddy
Posting Guru
No, I had the code.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:36 AM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by David Fehir View Post

I need some help. I was out riding around and all of a sudden I started getting a real rough choppy idle and the truck is burning fuel real rich with a chader right around 1500 rpms and smoking the whole time. My fuel mileage went from 17.5 to about 13. I'm also getting a turbo bark now I'm assuming it is somehow connected. I thought fuel injector. However when I got home I scanned for codes and I got a ton and I don't know what's going on. I just put a new fuel pump in a few days ago and my fuel pressure is right around 70 psi with the blue spring update. Disregard the egr codes I'm deleted the trucks an 03 with head studs please help. Sorry I forgot to post my codes.
So, you had a fuel pump issue ... were you running on low fuel pressure? Now you have injector codes and think you are running fuel-rich (white smoke) with poor fuel economy? What makes you think that several injectors aren't at fault?

I agree w/ the P0341, you are looking at an issue w/ the cam sensor or wiring also. Why not troubleshoot it?

CAMSHAFT SENSOR TROUBLESHOOT PDF:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=63064&d=1350773182

From the fuel pump code, it looks to be a wiring issue.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:59 AM
David Fehir
Senior User
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
So, you had a fuel pump issue ... were you running on low fuel pressure? Now you have injector codes and think you are running fuel-rich (white smoke) with poor fuel economy? What makes you think that several injectors aren't at fault?

I agree w/ the P0341, you are looking at an issue w/ the cam sensor or wiring also. Why not troubleshoot it?

CAMSHAFT SENSOR TROUBLESHOOT PDF:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/at...4&d=1350773182

From the fuel pump code, it looks to be a wiring issue.
I'm going to trouble shoot tomorrow. But I had the injector 4 code for quite a while even before the fuel pump issue but the truck ran fine so I wasn't really to concerned about it. When I had the fuel pump issue that's when I got the code for the injector 2 but I only had to limp the truck home a half a mile with low fuel pressure when I changed the pump the truck ran fin until the day before yesterday when all this other stuff started that's when I got the fuel pump code injector 5 and the cam code. I'm going to trouble shoot tomorrow. What should I be looking for with this fuel pump code? Also I changed the fuel pump roughly 2 weeks ago and during those 2 weeks the truck ran good no rough idle no smoke everything was good

Old 03-15-2019, 08:46 AM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Damaged injectors can cause significant problems in an engine. You really need to address ALL the injector issues. I wouldn't advise ignoring injector codes.

As to the P0232, you probably either have a "short to power" or sticking relay (DTC P0232 indicates power was present on the fuel pump monitor circuit when
the fuel pump was commanded off.). The relay is an integral part of the central junction box (fuse panel under the dash).

Does your Fuel pump runs with key off (it should shut off about 20 seconds after turning off the key)? Is there voltage present on FP (fuel pump) "voltage supply circuit" w/ key off?

Old 03-15-2019, 09:44 AM
SmackDaddy
Posting Guru
You probably had a bad injector and it is starting to take the other ones out. These trucks can seem to run fine with a bad injector(s) because the others “contribute” to help out the bad or intermittently failing injectors.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:17 PM
David Fehir
Senior User
You probably had a bad injector and it is starting to take the other ones out. These trucks can seem to run fine with a bad injector(s) because the others “contribute” to help out the bad or intermittently failing injectors.
so what I gotta do is change those 3 injectors 2 4 and 5 and the cam sensor and hopefully my fuel pump issue is a relay. I don't know about you guy's maybe it's just me but my truck gets alot of down time and I'm not exactly someone who is negligent towards the truck by any means. I've always done the best I can to get this truck to be good and reliable for me but I've had injector issues from day one when I purchased the truck nearly 3 years ago among other issues. sometimes I'm afraid to take the truck 30 to 40 miles from home for fear something might happen and it won't make it back. I've put alot of blood sweat and tears into this truck literally and it just never ends. I'm wondering right now after it takes me 2 months to purchase the 3 injectors I need and cam sensor and whatever I'll need to fix this fuel pump issue what's in the next chapter for a break down sorry for the rant I'm just at the end of my rope.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:38 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
Looking back at some of your old posts, it looks like you have had cylinder contribution codes since mid 2017. If fuel pressure was low in that time frame, it could have taken its toll. Also, there was some talk about aftermarket injectors. Not sure if more injectors than #4 got replaced with an aftermarket one, but the current thinking is the same as it was then. Most aftermarket injectors are not worth buying.

Unfortunately, if it is your fuel pump relay, it requires a new central junction box. That is what I meant by it being "integral" to the CJB. I know there is a thread out there somewhere that describes a poster actually removing and replacing that relay (after removing the CJB), but it seemed like a real pain IIRC.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:26 PM
David Fehir
Senior User
[QUOTE=bismic;18541658]Looking back at some of your old posts, it looks like you have had cylinder contribution codes since mid 2017. If fuel pressure was low in that time frame, it could have taken its toll. Also, there was some talk about aftermarket injectors. Not sure if more injectors than #4 got replaced with an aftermarket one, but the current thinking is the same as it was then. Most aftermarket injectors are not worth buying.

Unfortunately, if it is your fuel pump relay, it requires a new central junction box. That is what I meant by it being "integral" to the CJB. I know there is a thread out there somewhere that describes a poster actually removing and replacing that relay (after removing the CJB), but it seemed like a real pain IIRC.[/QUOTE

yes ever since I bought the truck I have had some sort of contribution code on going all the up until now. Unfortunately at that time I was pretty unfamiliar with the 6.0 and how it was important that you use motorcraft parts. At that time my thinking was it was personal preference however I'm seeing more and more just how important it is for parts especially injectors to be motorcraft. so I did in the past buy 2 aftermarket fuel injectors actually for cylinders 4 and 5 and ever since I put those injectors in the codes never went away. So I found a site called KT Performance that's selling reman motorcraft fuel injectors for 165.00 a piece so that's the route I'm going to go for these 3 injectors I'm going to get a motorcraft cam sensor on Ebay for 45.00. Now as far as the central junction box I'm assuming that's the fuse panel under the dash? Roughly about how much do those run on price? If there is power at the pump after 20 seconds with the truck off does that confirm the relay as the problem? Could the aftermarket injectors be a big part of my problems? I realize there's no guarantees but I mean I don't know what could possibly go wrong next. I mean the truck is deleted and has head studs I don't think there's much more that can go wrong other than a sensor hear or there. Who knows maybe I'll have a surprise head gasket party or something.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:08 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
I have my doubts about KTPerfomance selling OEM injectors that were actually remanned by Ford's chosen shop. Maybe, but saying they are "remanned OEM injectors" leaves a lot of room for what is actually meant. I think less of ebay sensors. To each his own. I wish you well with it!

I only have the 2006 CJB part number (6C3Z-14A068-AC). You could do some searching for the 03 version, the base number will be the same - 14A068

Old 03-15-2019, 03:19 PM
David Fehir
Senior User
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
I have my doubts about KTPerfomance selling OEM injectors that were actually remanned by Ford's chosen shop. Maybe, but saying they are "remanned OEM injectors" leaves a lot of room for what is actually meant. I think less of ebay sensors. To each his own. I wish you well with it!

I only have the 2006 CJB part number (6C3Z-14A068-AC). You could do some searching for the 03 version, the base number will be the same - 14A068
I'm going to call KT and get some more info on the injectors. it's not 100% clear that there remans. they talk like there remans in there description but down at the bottom of the page under condition it says new so I have to do a little more digging before I buy. the cam sensor on Ebay is supposed to be motorcraft they show it in a motorcraft package. What is a good place to buy motorcraft parts for these trucks that aren't to crazy high on pricing? Well I think if there's anymore issues in the near future after this I think I will have had enough. The truck will be paid off in August and at that point I'm seriously going to be considering saving my money to do a Cummins swap. Lol I know Cummins is probably a bad word around here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.