Wiring Help/Ideas - Idiot light for alternator - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Wiring Help/Ideas - Idiot light for alternator

Old 03-13-2019, 05:14 PM
hansol04
Junior User
hansol04 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wiring Help/Ideas - Idiot light for alternator

Hi guys,

My brain just isn't working like it should on this, so was hoping I could intrude on the smarter members of this forum.

I'm in the middle of installing new gauges for the f100, and decided that I would like to have an indicator light (idiot light) that is always on unless the alternator stops running. Ie. Dead alternator = no light. (I think this is the opposite to most circuits, where usually if the alternator goes, a warning light comes on.)

If anyone has any suggestions on how to make this happen, that would be helpful. I was thinking maybe using a relay, where when the relay is powered, it clicks "on" and provides power to the light. But I don't know if wiring it up that way will fry the relay?

Old 03-13-2019, 09:26 PM
77&79F250
Used OEM parts guy
77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.
IMO that light being "always ON" could and will probably MORE distracting, than if the alt dies and it turns the light on, as per the OEM set up. That would and does for sure get my attention. No idea how to wire that set up.

Rocketman might be the go to guy for this question. Since he has the knowledge to get the amp meter to act like a volt meter. F100V - Volt Meters for Ford F series trucks and some vans

See #6 up from the bottom of this list. https://www.rccinnovations.com/index...=menu-volt-all

Old 03-14-2019, 06:59 PM
hansol04
Junior User
Thanks for the reply. The frustrating part in all of this is that when you do some googling, all the results are "how to troubleshoot an alternator light going ON"

The theory behind wanting an always-on light is I already have a line of indicator lights that light up when something is "on." (Main power, power to dash/gauges, power to electric fuel pump, power to driving lights, etc) Basically when you fire the rig up and things are good, you have 5-6 green led indicators shining back at you. When something is off, led is off.

Was hoping there was an easy way to do this (I know a voltmeter gauge will show if the alternator is working or not, but it's not quite the same)

Originally Posted by 77&79F250 View Post
IMO that light being "always ON" could and will probably MORE distracting, than if the alt dies and it turns the light on, as per the OEM set up. That would and does for sure get my attention. No idea how to wire that set up.

Rocketman might be the go to guy for this question. Since he has the knowledge to get the amp meter to act like a volt meter. F100V - Volt Meters for Ford F series trucks and some vans

See #6 up from the bottom of this list. https://www.rccinnovations.com/index...=menu-volt-all

Old 03-14-2019, 08:29 PM
dlburch
Elder User
dlburch has a good reputation on FTE.dlburch has a good reputation on FTE.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:06 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
I wonder if you could do the using the stator stud?
It puts out only half the volts of the battery stud but I don't know if any thing else is hooked to it that could back feed to the light?
On the 80 to 86 trucks the stator stud goes to the choke from the factory don't know on yours.
Dave - - - -

Old 03-15-2019, 09:51 AM
hansol04
Junior User
Nice, good find. Sounds like it's handled all the hard stuff already, just hook it up and call it a day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.