Gas in the Crankcase....??? Huh? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Gas in the Crankcase....??? Huh?

Old 03-13-2019, 04:56 PM
ForddieFender
Junior User
ForddieFender is starting off with a positive reputation.
Gas in the Crankcase....??? Huh?

Yes, you read the title correctly.

I've been jones-in' to see if my '65 F-250 with its 352 would start. This morning, my neighbor -- a retired professional mechanic -- determined TDC for #1 and that the spark plugs wires were where they belong...

We were set to fire it up, but I told him that I was concerned that I couldn't find an oil line on the dipstick. I thought it might be over filled. Plus, the fluid on the stick was clear and colorless. So, he pulled the dip and dipped again. Same result that I had. Then, he said, "I smell gas." He said that he'd never experienced anything like it.

Drain the oil, he said. I headed to Napa for a couple of pans, a funnel, 5 quarts of oil, a new filter, and a new oil filter wrench.

I've drained oil before. I positioned a pan under the drain plug and unbolted it. Fluid gushed from the opening and just kept gushing. The first pan was filling quickly, and I reached for another. I slid the full one out of the way and made a mess of the carport floor. Fluid kept coming at a furious rate. I filled the second pan to the brim, just as the flood subsided.

The fluid in the pans was dark brown, but without much viscosity at all. The smell of gas was overwhelming.

I will add the following:
•The previous owner installed a new fuel pump.
•My neighbor and I had the two-barrel off last week to rebuild it.
•While it was off, he put a screw driver across the solenoid, and the engine triggered the starter very, very briefly... for maybe one second.
•Gas gushed briefly from the fuel line coming from the pump, putting fuel down the intake manifold and on the top of the engine. Most of it landed on top of the engine outside of the intake manifold. I cleaned it up.
•It's a guess, but I think I collected 3+ gallons of this nasty mix....

Notions, guesses anyone? ... Next steps? ... And, what's the best way to clean my concrete carport where up to a gallon of the gas-oil mix spread out...

Old 03-13-2019, 05:04 PM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputation
My SWAG, the old fuel pump diaphragm was leaking and filled the crankcase with fuel.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:15 PM
ForddieFender
Junior User
Thanks, raytasch...

Bingo! ... When I was at Napa and before the gusher, I asked the expert at the back counter, and he scratched his head and said that the diaphragm in the previous bad fuel pump might have been the culprit...

The young man who sold me this rig had tried repeatedly to start the truck with the bad fuel pump before he changed it out.... It's beginning to make sense...

Gas in the oil could mess with the bearings big time if it ran that way. But, it hasn't been running at all... I guess the best I can hope for is that all of the old oil is out of there at this point...

So, it's down to the store Coca Cola and cat litter... and maybe some detergent... The rest of the day will be devoted to clean up....

Old 03-14-2019, 07:27 AM
wauto
Freshman User
wauto is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've had great luck with dawn dish soap. Even used to clean oil spills off wild life.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:55 AM
Crop Duster
Posting Guru
Crop Duster is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Best oil stain remover I ever used was Tide detergent not the liquid but the granular type. Sprinkle it on, dampen it, scrub with a stiff brush, hose it off. It will take the hide off an elephant.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:50 AM
ForddieFender
Junior User
Dawn is good stuff... If I have to do a greasy job that requires ungloved fingers, I often cover my hands in a dab of Dawn and let it dry... It fills the cracks and crevices in my skin before the grease does. Clean up is much easier...

Old 03-14-2019, 08:50 AM
ForddieFender
Junior User
Thanks... My elephant agrees...

Old 03-14-2019, 10:33 AM
jpk_ks
Junior User
jpk_ks is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yep, dead fuel pump - also, oxyclean works well, but don't let it sit on your skin too long.

I'd worry a bit about your cylinder walls being scored from lack of oil. Get that solved quick!

Old 03-14-2019, 12:06 PM
Christmas
Senior User
Christmas is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Christmas is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I would pull the distributor and pump new oil through before starting it up

Old 03-15-2019, 07:56 PM
78ShortBed-
Senior User
78ShortBed- is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fine, wet sand, left alone for a few days, also works on those oil spills.

I agree on the fuel pump being bad.

I once worked on a inline 300 chevy that the pan had filled with gas, and the pan exploded off the engine.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:44 PM
Becky_is_a_66
Senior User
Becky_is_a_66 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I can see where a faulty diaphragm in the fuel pump could move gas into the engine while running - running long under such circumstances would definitely cause engine wear; hopefully all that gas did not transfer while engine was running. If it was not running while transfer of gas occurred, then that could only happen if a lot of pressure built up within the gas tank. If the truck has a vented gas cap then in tank pressure would be insufficient to push the gas through a bad pump. I believe the truck would have been originally equipped with a vented cap; however I have received "replacement caps" from a couple of places over the years that were not vented. In later years as emission laws came in the tank pressure/gas vapor was routed into retention systems such as the charcoal cannister which allowed capture of vapors while still allowing pressure inside the tank to be relieved.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.