6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Looking to buy my 1st ford

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 04:13 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 975 Likes on 750 Posts
Old 03-20-2019, 09:16 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You for sure have to question the quality of the diesel fuel we're using if the manufacturer of our vehicles sells a fuel additive.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:49 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by Overkill2
I'm happy to hear you've never had a problem. Either have I but if I was that worried about it, I wouldn't drive my truck. I don't drive cross country but have put a decent amount of miles in 2 years and 2 months of ownership, 38,500 miles. So again, I drive it.

Yes, running a higher grade or percentage biodiesel, you don't get the mileage of regular diesel. But adding a little like B5 will aid in improving lubrication in our ULSD. It is used to increase the lube value that traditional diesel had. They have to add lube additives before selling the fuel because the process of removing sulfur removes the lubrication out of the fuel. I'm glad you're so carefree in your attitude on fuel. That's a personal decision. One question for you though, do you ever drain the DFCM to check for water and if so, at what frequency?

About deleting, it's another personal decision. I'd rather run stock but if problems arise, it is a high likelihood that I will. If emissions lasted, had no problems, and the cost of maintenance of it wasn't so high, I'd have no problem staying stock. I have no problem staying stock now because I have no problems. When I say that deleted 6.7s run really well, I'm not saying stock ones don't. I would not delete to become part of the crowd, I would delete to prevent spending thousands on parts that will eventually fail again. I would delete to hopefully gain a little mileage. I would delete to increase the reliability of my engine as this truck is a very long term vehicle for me. I would delete with a 0 hp or modest tow tune with no smoke. That is why I would delete.

Spending a lot of money on a truck where the factory replacement kit for 15 to 16s fuel system is 5k and labor not included, when pumps have failed because of fuel related issues have happened, makes fuel a concern and makes it a concern in general because we all spent a lot of money on our diesel engine option. Just my 2 cents.

I'm 52 so being part of the cool crew is not an option or concern for me. I'm already cool driving a Super Duty with the Scorpion. I do have plans though for a set of Black Rhino wheels and stock size or 18s tires for the summer. But I'd rather spend money on something that will make the engine and parts last longer like a FASS lift pump. But that's just me. There's enough jacked up trucks with offset wheels rolling around my area. That's the beauty of being able to do what you want to your truck and to come here to offer your own personal taste to the melting pot of different tastes. Peace.
I don't drain my filter because the 15 has a sensor to tell if you have water in the system However I change my fuel filters @ 20,000 miles. So far I have not seen any water when I change the filters.
I add cetane to my fuel every other tank and towing every tank. I get it at Ford only so I know it.s ok for my truck. I have just over 60,000 miles on my truck with 30,000 of that towing my 13,000# 5th wheel so I work my truck.
This is my first diesel and very happy with the reliability of my truck so far. Sure I have had a couple hiccups. The CAC tube had the rubber come off a plastic fitting but I just put a Ford hose clamp on it $50 wow for a clamp. I also had some DEF issues but the truck fixed itself so now I know not to worry. I do agree that some of this stuff for this truck is expensive to repair but way cheaper than buying another truck and if you like the truck worth the money to fix. I am a DYI guy so I would do as much as I can myself but the fuel system isn't one I would feel comfortable messing with.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:21 PM
willydmax
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speakerfritz, I have never seen B5 for sale around my area unless I just haven't run into them at all. Yes, I have heard of the benefits of running some B5 for lubrication. Thanks for the tips.

I also have plans to install a FASS lift pump to feed the DFCM lift pump to "shine" the fuel; to remove the air from the fuel to help longevity with the pump and injectors. I been in contact with them and found out that there is a bypass built in to the pump in case their pump went down. Then the OEM DFCM lift pump can keep flowing fuel to the HPFP. Apparently pickup owners get an average of 2 to 3 mpg with their use. Hell, 1 mpg gain would be great.
No disrespect meant Overkill, but I think you are wasting your money on some clever marketing with putting a Fass on your truck. The stock lift pump and filter system is great on these trucks. I install a lot of lift pumps on Duramax trucks that don't have a factory lift pump and I don't use the Fass system. It's loud and not designed as well as the pump setup that I use from Kennedy Diesel. Just my $.02.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:18 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,322 Likes on 4,589 Posts
I checked this as well. Troy, NY is the closest to me. It's all downstate near the big city. But thanks. A lot of info on that site.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:41 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by willydmax
No disrespect meant Overkill, but I think you are wasting your money on some clever marketing with putting a Fass on your truck. The stock lift pump and filter system is great on these trucks. I install a lot of lift pumps on Duramax trucks that don't have a factory lift pump and I don't use the Fass system. It's loud and not designed as well as the pump setup that I use from Kennedy Diesel. Just my $.02.
You've always been a straight shooter and respectful in my eyes, *****. I respect that so no need to feel bad. I always appreciate different opinions. I'm not saying that the factory lift isn't good. It has most to do with removing the air out of the fuel. I'm not removing the DFCM but feeding it with the Fass. This is about removing the air.

I'd like to hear why you don't like them. I'll check out Kennedy Diesel, thanks.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:10 PM
willydmax
Senior User
You've always been a straight shooter and respectful in my eyes, *****. I respect that so no need to feel bad. I always appreciate different opinions. I'm not saying that the factory lift isn't good. It has most to do with removing the air out of the fuel. I'm not removing the DFCM but feeding it with the Fass. This is about removing the air.

I'd like to hear why you don't like them. I'll check out Kennedy Diesel, thanks.
Thanks Overkill! Maybe I'm being hard on them but in the Duramax application they run so much fuel volume that they run a return line back into the tank and in my opinion that aerates the fuel which is exactly what you don't want on a diesel. I like a high quality product as well as the next guy but if there is too much marketing and not enough proof then I get skeptical. I like to be able to honestly recommend a product because I have good proof it's good for the customer and not just for me as the seller.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:09 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 975 Likes on 750 Posts
in the Duramax application they run so much fuel volume that they run a return line back into the tank and in my opinion that aerates the fuel which is exactly what you don't want on a diesel.
All modern engines that use the Bosch pumps are setup that way.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:50 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by willydmax
Thanks Overkill! Maybe I'm being hard on them but in the Duramax application they run so much fuel volume that they run a return line back into the tank and in my opinion that aerates the fuel which is exactly what you don't want on a diesel. I like a high quality product as well as the next guy but if there is too much marketing and not enough proof then I get skeptical. I like to be able to honestly recommend a product because I have good proof it's good for the customer and not just for me as the seller.
I came across a DMax thread that is about this very issue with Kennedy commenting in it. I'm on my cell now but will post a pic or the link address. I appreciate your input as your the wrench turner with a WHOLE LOT MORE experience in the oil burner world. You brought up some valid points and something I never thought of because of my inexperience with diesels but I'm learning fast. You're never too old to learn something my dad always told me. Good stuff. Thanks.

Last edited by Overkill2; 03-21-2019 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Add to post
Old 03-21-2019, 09:28 PM
willydmax
Senior User
Originally Posted by speakerfritz

All modern engines that use the Bosch pumps are setup that way.

I'm well aware of what you're referring to speakerfritz. I should have been more clear. On a lot of the Duramax applications the Fass system runs a separate return line that tee's into the fuel fill hose. That in my mind creates aeration of the fuel.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:34 PM
willydmax
Senior User
Unhappy

I came across a DMax thread that is about this very issue with Kennedy commenting in it. I'm on my cell now but will post a pic or the link address. I appreciate your input as your the wrench turner with a WHOLE LOT MORE experience in the oil burner world. You brought up some valid points and something I never thought of because of my inexperience with diesels but I'm learning fast. You're never too old to learn something my dad always told me. Good stuff. Thanks.
Hey no problem. Take what I say though as my opinion. There is likely a better opinion out there. I am a practical person and when I see something that doesn't really make good sense for the customer but has super marketing to suck people into buying, it upsets me. Kennedy has some good opinions and insight on this fuel subject. He is very much a no BS kind of guy.

Sorry OP for derailing your thread!