Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service oil question

Old 03-12-2019, 07:09 PM
rsyauto
Senior User
rsyauto is starting off with a positive reputation.
Service oil question

So, I have 48k miles on my F350 and I am due a service and a fuel filter. I normally in my other trucks run full synthetic Rotella and change it every 10k-12k miles along with the fuel filter. I would like to know if I use regular Motorcraft oil non synthetic if i can run it 10k miles between changes...I use it only as a daily driver in FL, no towing or off road use. Thanks in advance

Old 03-12-2019, 07:57 PM
Painted Horse
Postmaster
Painted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant future
I'm sure you will get lots of comments both direction.
I suggest you try it and take Oil samples at 7.000, 8,000, 9,000 miles and make a decision based on how the oil holds up the way you drive.

Yes it will cost you the price of several oil samples. But then you will know how your truck/driving habits/climate etc affect your oil

Old 03-12-2019, 08:01 PM
No.15
Senior User
No.15 is starting off with a positive reputation.
You change your fuel filter every 10k miles?

Old 03-12-2019, 08:11 PM
Claluja
Junior User
Claluja is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by rsyauto View Post
So, I have 48k miles on my F350 and I am due a service and a fuel filter. I normally in my other trucks run full synthetic Rotella and change it every 10k-12k miles along with the fuel filter. I would like to know if I use regular Motorcraft oil non synthetic if i can run it 10k miles between changes...I use it only as a daily driver in FL, no towing or off road use. Thanks in advance
Should be ok going 10K with motorcraft 15w40. Personally, I would follow the olm. But you should be okay.

Although every engine is a little different, you can get a feel for how the 6.7 holds up at different oil change intervals at this thread:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...lvoline-5.html

Old 03-12-2019, 08:23 PM
rsyauto
Senior User
rsyauto is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes normally...too often?

Old 03-14-2019, 05:56 AM
Deuce40s
Elder User
Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.
I'm sure you can see how odd it is. You want to extend the run time of a lesser quality oil, but you change your fuel filters sooner than needed. Obviously you're not saving much money, maybe a few pints of beer over several thousand miles, if that?

Why not run non-synthetic and change every 7500 miles when the OLM tells you to, and change fuel filters every other oil change?

Old 03-14-2019, 10:24 AM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Just Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud of
Oil is cheap compared to a new engine or repairs. Just bite the bullet and change when the OLM indicates instead of saving a few pennies....As the Fram commercial....yea, I know......some people don't use Fram filters.....but the phrase was good.......Pay me now.......or pay me later..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: