What do you call the nut with the frame clip on it... - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What do you call the nut with the frame clip on it...

Old 03-13-2019, 04:53 PM
Kramercd
Senior User
Kramercd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by BigBlue2 View Post
Welding or epoxying the nut to the frame will not work. If the lifting eyeball has any wow in it and most do eventually. The nut has to be able to move about above the frame. That's why there's a speed nut there.

BB2
Take sheet stock, cut the hex size out, stack em up, cut the top one a hair undersized and drop a brass nut in before welding, that's all I got.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:50 PM
BigBlue2
Senior User
BigBlue2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Kramercd View Post
Take sheet stock, cut the hex size out, stack em up, cut the top one a hair undersized and drop a brass nut in before welding, that's all I got.
It's pretty tight up there to do any welding, but with the rear bumper removed could be done easily enough. Weld a short piece of square tube that fits a square nut of the proper size and threads and drop it in there.That'd be perfect. Otherwise get a speed nut.

BB2

Old 03-14-2019, 06:54 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
I have not checked but the rear bumper bracket to frame also has speed nuts wonder if same size?
Dave ----

Old 03-15-2019, 01:12 PM
BigBlue2
Senior User
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2 View Post
I have not checked but the rear bumper bracket to frame also has speed nuts wonder if same size?
Dave ----
I got no speed bolts on my bumper brackets. They are bigger than the lifting eyebolt too.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:51 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by BigBlue2 View Post
I got no speed bolts on my bumper brackets. They are bigger than the lifting eyebolt too.
When I get out to the garage I will have to check the bumper & tire rack nuts to see if same size but may not be too.

On the bumper bolts, back in the day a rear bumper was an option so who knows where my bolts & nuts, yes I had 2 speed nuts with 2 normal nuts on each trucks bumpers.
Dave ----

Old 03-15-2019, 02:03 PM
BigBlue2
Senior User
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2 View Post
When I get out to the garage I will have to check the bumper & tire rack nuts to see if same size but may not be too.

On the bumper bolts, back in the day a rear bumper was an option so who knows where my bolts & nuts, yes I had 2 speed nuts with 2 normal nuts on each trucks bumpers.
Dave ----
Yep, you have to add the bumper to the build. There were three options If I remember correctly, chrome step, chrome or argent. You have to get something unless you are gonna drive without a bumper which would be illegal in most states.

BB2

Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM
BigBlue2
Senior User

Large steel pin for operating the eyebolt. Be sure to pack one with your on board tool kit

Snug as a bug. Note pink packing foam doily between tire and skid plate. Keeps wear to a minimum

The best way to install the spare or retrieve it is with your jack

Pics of spare tire carrier...

Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM
Kramercd
Senior User
Kramercd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Very nice. Like the doily. Been thinking about some kind of cover from mine, spares been under there for many a president. The amount of dirt and gravel sitting on it was upsetting. Rim is still go lots of rocks stuck in it. May see if I can find something that looks like a cake carrier to go back with.

Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM
BigBlue2
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kramercd View Post
Very nice. Like the doily. Been thinking about some kind of cover from mine, spares been under there for many a president. The amount of dirt and gravel sitting on it was upsetting. Rim is still go lots of rocks stuck in it. May see if I can find something that looks like a cake carrier to go back with.
They have covers for the spare tire. With the doily it acts as a gasket against the skid plate and keeps most moisture out . I used to carry with the air valve down but that lets water stand in the rim. Now it's shiny side up. If I need to air it I'll have to lower it. Been up there for 33 years with no need to air it...so I'll chance it from here...and two cans of fix a flat in the cab to boot!

Grandma...here we come!

BB2

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.