What do you call the nut with the frame clip on it... - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What do you call the nut with the frame clip on it...

 
  #16  
Old 03-12-2019, 01:49 PM
BigBlue2
BigBlue2 is online now
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 260
BigBlue2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 1986F150six View Post
Those would work. Not quite as nice as the OE that Rembrandt posted a pic of...which is exactly what mine looked like before the clip broke off...

BB2
 
  #17  
Old 03-12-2019, 01:53 PM
Kramercd's Avatar
Kramercd
Kramercd is online now
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Caraway, AR
Posts: 285
Kramercd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by BigBlue2 View Post
Those would work. Not quite as nice as the OE that Rembrandt posted a pic of...which is exactly what mine looked like before the clip broke off...

BB2
These look to have more meat and that appears to be a he nut welded on so if they did bind you could assist them with a wrench and I'd say that's make it a whole lot easier to not breake them.
 
  #18  
Old 03-12-2019, 02:06 PM
BigBlue2
BigBlue2 is online now
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 260
BigBlue2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Kramercd View Post
These look to have more meat and that appears to be a he nut welded on so if they did bind you could assist them with a wrench and I'd say that's make it a whole lot easier to not breake them.
You gotta point there. I just figured out what I am going to do in the short term. There's a speed nut on both ends of the carrier. The forward one is not needed as much as the rear one to the eyebolt. I'm going to swap mine around so the speed nut is on the rear. Once the forward one is properly adjusted you don't need change it. Access to the spare is via the rear one on the eyebolt. Having a speed nut there is more important if you want to change the tire. I guess you could weld the nut to the frame too, or even JB weld it. Then remember to lube it or loose it.

BB2
 
  #19  
Old 03-12-2019, 02:15 PM
Kramercd's Avatar
Kramercd
Kramercd is online now
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Caraway, AR
Posts: 285
Kramercd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by BigBlue2 View Post
You gotta point there. I just figured out what I am going to do in the short term. There's a speed nut on both ends of the carrier. The forward one is not needed as much as the rear one to the eyebolt. I'm going to swap mine around so the speed nut is on the rear. Once the forward one is properly adjusted you don't need change it. Access to the spare is via the rear one on the eyebolt. Having a speed nut there is more important if you want to change the tire. I guess you could weld the nut to the frame too, or even JB weld it. Then remember to lube it or loose it.

BB2
Let's get crazy. What if we make our own speed nut, out of some beefier plate and a brass nut.
 
  #20  
Old 03-12-2019, 03:20 PM
NumberDummy's Avatar
NumberDummy
NumberDummy is online now
Ford Parts Specialist
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 81,292
NumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Kramercd View Post
Take it easy buddy, he wasn't asking for a real part, honest. Totally get what you're saying though. Can't remember if that's in the introductory/new post rules or not, but it should be. That way when a new member messes it up we can all jump on them at once and scare them off.

Also, doesn't having the spare holder exclude having a rear tank, a stock rear anyway?
No year, no series, no location, no nothing. How do people expect to get any help, if they don't give us any help by stating what they're working on?

I asked Chris (ctubutis) this forums moderator if I can use the "mind reader" comment. He said yes and if you'd like to know what I'm like in person, ask him.

Parts catalog pics of standard parts (hardware) may not show the complete number. I looked up N805270-S in my Standard Parts Catalog, it's N805270-S56 ~ See post #16.

I posted the pic (2) with the aft axle tank, here's another (2) without it.


 
  #21  
Old 03-12-2019, 03:35 PM
Kramercd's Avatar
Kramercd
Kramercd is online now
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Caraway, AR
Posts: 285
Kramercd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by NumberDummy View Post

I asked Chris (ctubutis) this forums moderator if I can use the "mind reader" comment. He said yes and if you'd like to know what I'm like in person, ask him.
Hahaha, it came up in conversation once, he did explain some on how to read your posts. It sure does help.

I'd appreciate it if you'd read mine as light ribbing(if not outright hilarious). Hate to start over a misguided sense of humor

 
  #22  
Old 03-12-2019, 03:52 PM
NumberDummy's Avatar
NumberDummy
NumberDummy is online now
Ford Parts Specialist
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 81,292
NumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Kramercd View Post
Hahaha, it came up in conversation once, he did explain some on how to read your posts. It sure does help.

I'd appreciate it if you'd read mine as light ribbing(if not outright hilarious). Hate to start over a misguided sense of humor
If you dish it out, you gotta be able to take it. Waiting on Ford mechanics at shop counters for over 30 years, I had to take it, but usually gave better than I received, because I usually got the last word in.

Pic: Mr. Dazed and Confused (Chris-who took the selfie) and 'Ol P!ss and Vinegar at the OKC Airport.


 
  #23  
Old 03-12-2019, 03:56 PM
Kramercd's Avatar
Kramercd
Kramercd is online now
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Caraway, AR
Posts: 285
Kramercd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by NumberDummy View Post
If you dish it out, you gotta be able to take it. Waiting on Ford mechanics at shop counters for over 30 years, I had to take it, but usually gave better than I received, because I usually got the last word in.

Pic: Mr. Dazed and Confused (Chris-who took the selfie) and 'Ol P!ss and Vinegar at the OKC Airport.


Nah, I don't mind a friendly fued. So long as it's all in good fun, but I just know the second you get mad at me I'll need some super rare part that only you can locate lol
 
  #24  
Old 03-12-2019, 03:57 PM
BigBlue2
BigBlue2 is online now
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 260
BigBlue2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Kramercd View Post
Let's get crazy. What if we make our own speed nut, out of some beefier plate and a brass nut.
What is crazy is paying 25 bucks for two speed nuts when I only need one...and $12.50 is still too much for one. I'll see what they have at the local hardware...till then it's the old swapperoo for me.

By the way the OE speed nut does have flats on each side for a wrench. Unfortunately the thing broke before I realized it was stuck bad. I don't like to break stuff and am usually pretty careful...cause often I end up breaking myself if I'm not.

BB2
 
  #25  
Old 03-12-2019, 04:02 PM
NumberDummy's Avatar
NumberDummy
NumberDummy is online now
Ford Parts Specialist
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 81,292
NumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Kramercd View Post
Nah, I don't mind a friendly feud. So long as it's all in good fun, but I just know the second you get mad at me I'll need some super rare part that only you can locate lol
I don't stay mad too long and don't hold grudges. 'Course you'd never know that by lookin' at me, I haven't smiled since 'Tricky Dick' was prez.

 
  #26  
Old 03-12-2019, 04:04 PM
Kramercd's Avatar
Kramercd
Kramercd is online now
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Caraway, AR
Posts: 285
Kramercd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by BigBlue2 View Post
What is crazy is paying 25 bucks for two speed nuts when I only need one...and $12.50 is still too much for one. I'll see what they have at the local hardware...till then it's the old swapperoo for me.

By the way the OE speed nut does have flats on each side for a wrench. Unfortunately the thing broke before I realized it was stuck bad. I don't like to break stuff and am usually pretty careful...cause often I end up breaking myself if I'm not.

BB2
Mine must have been a cheap replacement then, which will run you about $1.19. I'd guess welding a nut on is the next best option and covering everything with that liquid penny no stick-um(copper antiseize).
 
  #27  
Old 03-12-2019, 04:10 PM
Kramercd's Avatar
Kramercd
Kramercd is online now
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Caraway, AR
Posts: 285
Kramercd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by NumberDummy View Post
I don't stay mad too long and don't hold grudges. 'Course you'd never know that by lookin' at me, I haven't smiled since 'Tricky Dick' was prez.
I figured with your memory that you'd hang on to a grudge a bit longer than than. I admire your work on the tailshaft thread, wonder if he'll buy one of those transmissions and let us know how it goes.

Anyhooo, I better go derail someone else's thread before Chris gets on lol. Cheers

BigBlue good luck with your nuts. (getaway car is going the wrong way)
 
  #28  
Old 03-12-2019, 04:19 PM
NumberDummy's Avatar
NumberDummy
NumberDummy is online now
Ford Parts Specialist
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 81,292
NumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Kramercd View Post
I figured with your memory that you'd hang on to a grudge a bit longer than than.

I admire your work on the tail shaft thread, wonder if he'll buy one of those transmissions and let us know how it goes.
That guy complained in one of his recent posts, saying no one was helping him.

When I read that 'wild mule p!ss' I withheld my response, because there are some people NO ONE can help. (sigh)

I don't care what he buys. I hope it's correct, so we won't be reading any more of his whining posts, but if it isn't, he has only himself to blame.
 
  #29  
Old 03-13-2019, 01:45 AM
BigBlue2
BigBlue2 is online now
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 260
BigBlue2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Kramercd View Post
I was under the impression you had to move it, maybe that's only for the 38 gallon rear. It does look like the parts diagram shows spacers for the spare under the rear tank.
The 38 gallon hangs down where the spare tire would go. The 19 gallon fits inside the frames behind the axle. The straps or skid plates supporting the 19 gal tank are bolted to the bottom flanges of the cross members. Your spare tire then goes below the tank support which is below the frame.

There is the no tank option for the spare tire. Number dummy posted that drawing too.

BB2
 
  #30  
Old 03-13-2019, 04:04 PM
BigBlue2
BigBlue2 is online now
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 260
BigBlue2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by BigBlue2 View Post
You gotta point there. I just figured out what I am going to do in the short term. There's a speed nut on both ends of the carrier. The forward one is not needed as much as the rear one to the eyebolt. I'm going to swap mine around so the speed nut is on the rear. Once the forward one is properly adjusted you don't need change it. Access to the spare is via the rear one on the eyebolt. Having a speed nut there is more important if you want to change the tire. I guess you could weld the nut to the frame too, or even JB weld it. Then remember to lube it or loose it.

BB2
Welding or epoxying the nut to the frame will not work. If the lifting eyebolt has any wow in it and most do eventually. The nut has to be able to move about above the frame. That's why there's a speed nut there.

BB2
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.