1964 Dana 44 front axle f100 vs f250 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

1964 Dana 44 front axle f100 vs f250

Old 03-11-2019, 09:06 PM
panterazacc
New User
panterazacc is starting off with a positive reputation.
1964 Dana 44 front axle f100 vs f250

Hello, other than the hubs (5 lug on the f100, 8 lug on the f250), is there much of a difference? It's the Dana 44-6F. Are the spindles, axle shafts, and locking hubs the same? Thank you!

Old 03-12-2019, 06:58 PM
53deere
Senior User
53deere is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not an answer to your question but I have a '62 Fleet Owners manual that shows both the F100 4x4 and F250 4X4 as having 3000 lb front axles. So at least weight rating was the same.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:55 PM
gatorjaws
Junior User
gatorjaws is starting off with a positive reputation.
hello,
my shop manual from Ford shows that both the 100 and the 250 use the same front axle ,a 2141 spicer.mine is a 455 gear ratio and if you have a 100 yours is probably a 392 ratio.Its the rear where I believe the heavier gvw comes in.my rear is a dana 60 with a 456 ratio.I'm thinking my 250 4x4 has 8 lugs on the front just to match the rear but I am by no means an expert on any of this. your vin tag codes will give you more info as to your rear axel but the shop manual has only one choice for the front.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:52 PM
panterazacc
New User
You guys are awesome and I really appreciate the help. I have the f250. My shop manual shows that both the f100 and f250 use a 2559, but this manual doesn't contain the specific part numbers to confirm that other than the hubs, everything is the same. The reason I'm interested is that I'm looking to perform a disc brake conversion, and the kit I've found is for the f100. My fear is that the spindle might be a little different, or the hub, and the kit won't quite work right.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:51 PM
gatorjaws
Junior User
gatorjaws is starting off with a positive reputation.
thats quite an undertaking! I don't go fast enough for disc brakes. with that horseless carrige style steering system and low gear ratio I'm topped out around fifty and those drums,if adjusted correctly, are good enough for that but but you can't look away for a second because you're gonna need all the stopping room you can get.I will be very interested in how it turns out but my guess is that you might have to have a couple of one off hubs made. what are you doing for a master cylinder?

Old 03-13-2019, 02:38 PM
panterazacc
New User
The reason I'm going disc up front is that my old 292y block needs a rebuild, so I'm going to drop in a 351w on a T5 (since that's what I know). The truck runs and drives now, so I'll make that a winter project. As far as the hubs, since this truck is not for 4-wheeling, and I don't plan on using it for anything other than taking it out on the weekends, I think I'm going to go 5-lug both front and back. I've also considered axle swaps, but wanna see if the disc conversion kit is possible first. All this work should keep me out of my wife's hair for the winter. I'll post some pictures as I go.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:42 AM
1964FORDTUF
Elder User
1964FORDTUF is starting off with a positive reputation.
There are variations on the 44. There is a light and heavy duty version. I dont know of any conversion for the 8 lug, and Im not 100% but dont think you can swap the 8 lug to a 5 lug. I'll dig into my files.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:24 AM
panterazacc
New User
Found an 8 lug conversion, a place in Texas called rammanINC. I was quoted $895. To make things even better, just had the tie rods and drag link replaced, the steering arm is bad. 1964fordtuf, what is your recommendation?

Old 03-14-2019, 01:45 PM
1964FORDTUF
Elder User
I think it depends on your overall plans for the truck. When I first got my 64 I was heading in the direction of stock restoration, but the original axles were 4:56 rear and 4:55 front (Dana 60 rear, Dana 44 closed knuckle non - HD up front). After rebuilding the right front knuckle and stopping the lube from leaking out, I started researching ratio swaps, because 4:56 is simply not something I wanted to drive around with the 292 at 4000 rpm all the time.
What I found to keep this short, is that the parts availability and everything else I wanted to buy just to keep the original axles was "stupid money". to end up with stock axles and drum brakes. I found a donor truck (late 77, early 78 non-highboy) with a Dana 44 high pinion front and Dana 60 rear, with much better gearing for driving around town and out on the highway.
So, I ended up with axles that have disc brakes up front, much more serviceable parts availability (you can buy almost anything for the later axles form end to end).
My only pitfall was that I had to get some lift in the truck to keep the front driveshaft angle in check so it clears the front cross member. I never wanted to lift the truck but that was my fix for getting the axles, ratio, disc brakes, power steering, headers, retaining my beloved Y-block, and better serviceability in regard to parts availability.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:10 PM
panterazacc
New User
Tuf, your truck is awesome, looks like everything is well-thought out. Thank you for the feedback. At this point I think I've done more google searches for parts that I'm not finding than enjoying the truck. I'm not very interested in keeping this truck stock, just like the look of the old-style f250. I wouldn't be opposed to putting this on a 1977-1979? f250 4x4. Tuf, what are your thoughts swapping axles vs frame swap?

Old 03-14-2019, 04:25 PM
Byrd.Dog
Senior User
Byrd.Dog is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm in the same situation with my 60 3/4 ton 4x4. (I think we use the same Spicer 44 front axle?) I've done tons of searching & found no options for disc brakes on the 8 lug axle. I too have been considering just swapping in a later model Dana 44 to get disc brakes. What did you encounter in your swap in terms of steering components & spring pads?

Old 03-14-2019, 08:07 PM
panterazacc
New User
Zacc

I apologize.

$895 for the kit without the power unit (if your truck already has a booster on it)

$1295 with the power unit

It’s not on the website yet but we take an order over the phone.

Kate

The Ram Man Inc.

(817) 429 – 0105

www.TheRamManINC.com

This is for an 8 lug 44-6f. Here's a link for a video she included in my email. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...jRtCAq2lXM-LzY

Old 03-14-2019, 08:16 PM
53deere
Senior User
53deere is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by panterazacc View Post
Tuf, your truck is awesome, looks like everything is well-thought out. Thank you for the feedback. At this point I think I've done more google searches for parts that I'm not finding than enjoying the truck. I'm not very interested in keeping this truck stock, just like the look of the old-style f250. I wouldn't be opposed to putting this on a 1977-1979? f250 4x4. Tuf, what are your thoughts swapping axles vs frame swap?
If you go to any newer chassis the wheelbase changes. After '77 the frames get wider in the back but you get better integral power steering.

Old 03-16-2019, 12:53 AM
1964FORDTUF
Elder User
Originally Posted by panterazacc View Post
Anything is possible, it depends on how deep you want to go in time and money and what your skills are. There are members on FTE who have done all sorts of mods, diesel swaps, eco-boost swaps, frame swaps, you name it, its been done by people on FTE. My frame is in excellent condition, so I didn't want to mess with it too much. I heard all sorts of "cant be done" for this reason or that but here I am driving a 64 with 77 axles, power steering and power brakes that doesn't wind out on the highway Because that's what I wanted to build. So its really truly up to you. Have fun and good luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.