Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Foam in door pillars? X posted

Old 03-10-2019, 10:58 PM
Jregezeino
Junior User
Jregezeino is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Jregezeino is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Foam in door pillars? X posted

Cross posted from 7.3 threads, but hereís the question:

Anyone use closed cell foam bats rolled up or possibly a sound deadening spray in product to eliminate some of the noise transmission through the b pillar or overhead? Iíve got all the interior torn out of my excursion right now for seat swap/sound deadening and am seeking a solution to fill all the voids where I canít get the mass loaded vinyl/second skin products.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:44 AM
EXSwap
Elder User
EXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to all
There was a thread where someone posted this guys truck, and I can't remember what it was. He has a youtube channel and puts foam in his pillars (and a whole lot more). Check out his review of his build and you'll see it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOa...PlwQPaoOaRoiTw

EDIT: It was this thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-but-damn.html

Last edited by EXSwap; 03-11-2019 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 03-11-2019, 10:43 AM
alloro
Post Fiend
alloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud of
I've used the window and door low expansion expanding foam. The idea isn't to fill the void, it's to put something in there to absorb the sound.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GREAT-ST...7273/202892495

Old 03-11-2019, 04:19 PM
01__Excursion
Elder User
01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all
Something to note, it's fairly important in humid and cold climates, those hidden spaces should have room to breathe and vent when needed. Trapped moisture VIA condensation will cause an issue for sure.
I had a void in my windshield seal on the pass side just below the top corner, showed up after the new lift was installed at the dealer. I noticed a drip from the center ceiling console, pulled it down, and the underside roof was condensated. I dried it all up, the seal on the windshield was fixed, and the sound deadner was added later when the headliner was out for a new color.

Old 03-11-2019, 05:57 PM
Jregezeino
Junior User
Jregezeino is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Jregezeino is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by 01__Excursion View Post
Something to note, it's fairly important in humid and cold climates, those hidden spaces should have room to breathe and vent when needed. Trapped moisture VIA condensation will cause an issue for sure.
I had a void in my windshield seal on the pass side just below the top corner, showed up after the new lift was installed at the dealer. I noticed a drip from the center ceiling console, pulled it down, and the underside roof was condensated. I dried it all up, the seal on the windshield was fixed, and the sound deadner was added later when the headliner was out for a new color.

My thoughts would be that by displacing the air in those cavities it would prevent the formation of condensation since there would be a reduced temperature difference, but my thoughts are not always correct Iím really not sure what would happen.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:50 PM
DavenTn
Fishslayer
DavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Jregezeino View Post

My thoughts would be that by displacing the air in those cavities it would prevent the formation of condensation since there would be a reduced temperature difference, but my thoughts are not always correct Iím really not sure what would happen.
Must use closed cell foam. Anything else will retain moisture. What l do is use crc marine hd corrosion spray first... let it cure then add the foam. I prefer structural density foam.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:56 PM
Jregezeino
Junior User
Iíve got quite a bit of leftover pelican rifle case foam which is a closed cell polyethylene composition, plan is to stuff it everywhere I cant reach with the stick on pads. As far as structural density foam are you talking something like great stuff or a more industrial product?

Old 03-13-2019, 09:42 PM
DavenTn
Fishslayer
DavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud ofDavenTn has much to be proud of
Foam is measured in density. Structural foam starts at 2lbs density... and goes up from there. Great stuff is open cell foam, so don't use that. Thats like using a sponge to fill in gaps. If density isn't important, I'd recommend you get this stuff. Pur Black | Todol products

Old 03-14-2019, 09:01 AM
alloro
Post Fiend
alloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by DavenTn View Post
Great stuff is open cell foam, so don't use that. Thats like using a sponge to fill in gaps. If density isn't important, I'd recommend you get this stuff.
He doesn't want to fill gaps, he wants to make things quiet, in which case dense foam doesn't work as good.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:28 AM
DavenTn
Fishslayer
Originally Posted by alloro View Post
He doesn't want to fill gaps, he wants to make things quiet, in which case dense foam doesn't work as good.
Then use acoustical foam rubber.... and stuff it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.