Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Dealer fuel filter change gone VERY bad

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer fuel filter change gone VERY bad

Old 03-15-2019, 10:41 PM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
This isn't the first report we've seen on the forum of problems with the upper fuel filter lines. But if the mechanic didn't fasten the line, you can't blame Ford for this one.
You can sure as hell blame Ford techs.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:17 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
Make everything plastic to get more mpg, if it breaks, letís make it aluminum, if it cracks, will just put the original metal one back on.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:43 AM
Overkill2
Elder User
Overkill2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
Note to self: Change my own fuel filters.
I guess I'll keep changing my own.

Dirt, I feel for you, fellow Ford brother. I hope this gets resolved in your favor.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:35 PM
RickBraden
Senior User
RickBraden is starting off with a positive reputation.
I know that almost anybody that may work on my truck is more knowledgeable than I am. I'm 66 and have never taken my truck in for anything. Regardless how much they know, they won't show more care than me. I never have to wonder if my oil is over or underfilled, or if they put in what was paid for. I know my fuel filters are done properly if I do them and double check them. Plus I save time of driving to & from dealer. Also there is a fair amount of money saved. I just don't see a down side.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:58 PM
Overkill2
Elder User
Overkill2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by RickBraden View Post
I know that almost anybody that may work on my truck is more knowledgeable than I am. I'm 66 and have never taken my truck in for anything. Regardless how much they know, they won't show more care than me. I never have to wonder if my oil is over or underfilled, or if they put in what was paid for. I know my fuel filters are done properly if I do them and double check them. Plus I save time of driving to & from dealer. Also there is a fair amount of money saved. I just don't see a down side.
I agree, Rick. Great points but one would think going to a dealer that has factory certified mechanics or vetted oil changers/filter changers, etc would be the last place one would have to worry about the help hired or work performed. But apparently, good help is hard to find. It is a sad story for the OP. I guess the "you get what you pay for" theory didn't work. I hope it works out for the guy. But there comes a point in time where some guys can't or don't want to work on their rides anymore.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:17 PM
jrwinger
Senior User
jrwinger is starting off with a positive reputation.
Can anyone post a pic of the clips we're talking about here? I'm a bit off on having to do my fuel filters, but I certainly want to inspect those clips after I change out the filters!!

Hope you get your truck back OP, or a brand new one...

Old 03-23-2019, 07:18 AM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by jrwinger View Post
Can anyone post a pic of the clips we're talking about here? I'm a bit off on having to do my fuel filters, but I certainly want to inspect those clips after I change out the filters!!

Hope you get your truck back OP, or a brand new one...
half way they this video our filter is covered....

Old 03-26-2019, 01:49 AM
scottz99
Freshman User
scottz99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The same thing happened to me on my 2015 work truck. I was about a mile from the dealership when the hose popped off. I headed back to the dealer and dumped about 15 gallons of fuel on the road before I got back. Parked it in their service bay, left it running and dumped a bunch of fuel on their floor. I probably should have stopped for a tow, but at the time I didn't really know what was going on. Guess I was lucky that it did not get into the HVAC system. They cleaned it real good and after a week or so, no more smell. A couple filter changes before that, they left the frame mounted filter cap loose; it took two trips back for them to fix it and get the truck running right. This from a dealer that does a lot of diesel work. Needless to say, I change the fuel filters on my personal truck; I won't even let them change the oil.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:49 AM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by scottz99 View Post
The same thing happened to me on my 2015 work truck. I was about a mile from the dealership when the hose popped off. I headed back to the dealer and dumped about 15 gallons of fuel on the road before I got back. Parked it in their service bay, left it running and dumped a bunch of fuel on their floor. I probably should have stopped for a tow, but at the time I didn't really know what was going on. Guess I was lucky that it did not get into the HVAC system. They cleaned it real good and after a week or so, no more smell. A couple filter changes before that, they left the frame mounted filter cap loose; it took two trips back for them to fix it and get the truck running right. This from a dealer that does a lot of diesel work. Needless to say, I change the fuel filters on my personal truck; I won't even let them change the oil.
we are dammed if we do and damned if we donít.

if you donít let the dealer do services they can deny warranty work due to in adequate service

if you let them do everything....they are going to dry start you oil and fuel system.

too much tech multitasking going on.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:38 AM
Dirt worx
New User
Dirt worx is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well they still have the truck, itís been 3 weeks today. Went in last week crawled under truck, cab heat shielding and firewall shielding soaked in diesel and simple green. Demanded they replace it. Put it on a lift while I was there and showed them. They ordered the shielding but not done yet. Service mang. Said there insurance wonít pay to replace just to clean up. It was a heated discussion, trust me. Called corporate yesterday and informed those yahooís got a case number they asked if I wanted a buy back, Iím waiting till I get the truck back. I own 3 other work vehicles and a backhoe, I do the maintenance on them but when I comes to this trucks 100,000mi warranty I let the dealership do it.

Why should anyone ever have worry about them doing work wrong, they are ďprosĒ right.?
we will see what this week brings.

The loaner is a 2019 f150 diesel, itís a dog that has auto on off tech, I can wait to see what happens to these engines.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:18 AM
69cj
Post Fiend
69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
Buy back might be quicker since they offered.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:23 PM
scottz99
Freshman User
Originally Posted by speakerfritz View Post
if you donít let the dealer do services they can deny warranty work due to in adequate service
I keep good maintenance records and I save all my receipts (filters, oil, everything) and even save the filter box tops. If they denied warranty, it might end up in court.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:26 PM
scottz99
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Dirt worx View Post
Well they still have the truck, itís been 3 weeks today. Went in last week crawled under truck, cab heat shielding and firewall shielding soaked in diesel and simple green. Demanded they replace it. Put it on a lift while I was there and showed them. They ordered the shielding but not done yet. Service mang. Said there insurance wonít pay to replace just to clean up. It was a heated discussion, trust me. Called corporate yesterday and informed those yahooís got a case number they asked if I wanted a buy back, Iím waiting till I get the truck back. I own 3 other work vehicles and a backhoe, I do the maintenance on them but when I comes to this trucks 100,000mi warranty I let the dealership do it.

Why should anyone ever have worry about them doing work wrong, they are ďprosĒ right.?
we will see what this week brings.

The loaner is a 2019 f150 diesel, itís a dog that has auto on off tech, I can wait to see what happens to these engines.
I'm sure if my incident had been in my personal truck I would feel like you do and pursue it further. Good luck to you; I'm heading out to the shop to triple check my clip now.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:36 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by scottz99 View Post
I keep good maintenance records and I save all my receipts (filters, oil, everything) and even save the filter box tops. If they denied warranty, it might end up in court.

it wonít go to court. Check you paperwork from the sale, one of the forms is an agreement to settling disputes via a ford appointed abritrator.

The other aspects are theres more going on than filter and fluid chsnges during srvices..there are inspections that we are not qualified to do.

theres been plenty of folks with denied claims due to inadequate maint .

Old 03-26-2019, 01:02 PM
scottz99
Freshman User
Originally Posted by speakerfritz View Post
it won’t go to court. Check you paperwork from the sale, one of the forms is an agreement to settling disputes via a ford appointed abritrator. The other aspects are theres more going on than filter and fluid chsnges during srvices..there are inspections that we are not qualified to do. theres been plenty of folks with denied claims due to inadequate maint .
I understand. It seems like another way for them to get $$ from us. I do the work myself because I do a better job, it saves money and it is a 140 mile round trip to the nearest dealer. I'm not sure how competent the inspections would be from a guy that can't even seat a clip properly. Like you said; damned if you do; damned if you don't.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: