Notices

V10 3v timing gears instead of lockouts?

Old 03-09-2019, 02:06 AM
Bob 79 supercab
Junior User
Bob 79 supercab is starting off with a positive reputation.
V10 3v timing gears instead of lockouts?

I hope this is not another repeat. I searched and didn't find anything.

I recently purchased a 2004 F150 with a 5.4 3v and it's starting to make the diesel sound. The PO did plugs, coils, manifolds, studs, timing guides and tensioners within the last year but didn't do phasers cause they were quiet and had been replaced under warranty years before. I'm leaning toward the SCT X4 tuner and lockout kit to quiet it down and eliminate the VCT crap.

So here is my question. Instead of using the lockout wedges in the VCT phasers that come with the kit has anybody tried using the solid timing gears from a 3v V10 or even a 5.4 2v engine? In my mind that would eliminate the risk of the 3 small pins (or any other component) becoming an issue down the road. I've been told the 3 small pins can rattle or fail the same as the large pin thus defeating the effect of the lockout wedges.

I don't know if the teeth are the same, if the diameter is the same, if they mount the same or if they would be clocked the same as the locked up phasers.

Any ideas or experience with this idea?
Thanks,
Bob

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.