The new bronco will compete with what? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Bronco > 2020 Bronco
Reload this Page >

The new bronco will compete with what?

Notices
2020 Bronco Discussion for the upcoming 2020 Ford Bronco!

Old 03-08-2019, 02:49 PM
jn2630
New User
jn2630 is starting off with a positive reputation.

I know a lot of you are hoping the new bronco will compete with 2 door jeeps with removable tops and straight axles. But itís more likely it will compete directly with the Toyota 4 runner.

I think it it will be a body on frame 4 door, no removable top, independent front suspension SUV.

Think a more rugged version of the Explorer. That would make the most sense to me. What do yíall think?

Old 03-08-2019, 09:58 PM
SDDL-UP
Elder User
SDDL-UP is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not interested.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:53 PM
DSLTRK60
Senior User
DSLTRK60 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not interested in that setup either.

Old 03-09-2019, 01:26 PM
jn2630
New User
jn2630 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Lol, Iím just saying the sales experts at ford want to sell a ton of these things. There will probably be a lot of compromise in the new bronco, with focus being ďmass marketĒ. I would be really surprised, and delighted, if they decided to compete with Jeep. But Iím betting It will be more similar to the 4 runner.

Old 03-09-2019, 01:43 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster
rollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud of
Ford has stated they are going after Jeep with the Bronco. All we can do is speculate what that means for now and until the thing is actually unveiled.

Old 03-09-2019, 04:08 PM
ovenrat
Freshman User
ovenrat is starting off with a positive reputation.
If the new Bronco has IFS comparable to the full size Ford Raptor then I'll take one thank you very much.

Let the rock crawlers update their 4X4's as they wish with aftermarket setups.

Ford wants to sell vehicles.....how many rock crawlers could they possibly sell ? And the full size Raptor does quite well for itself.

In time there will be plenty of solid axles to choose from to compete with the Rubicons.

As it should be, to each their own .

Old 03-09-2019, 08:40 PM
Stampede.Offroad
Freshman User
Stampede.Offroad is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by ovenrat View Post
Ford wants to sell vehicles.....how many rock crawlers could they possibly sell ? And the full size Raptor does quite well for itself.
Raptor numbers are diddly squat compared to Wrangler numbers (around 1:10). I think if the Bronco hits half the Wranglers current sales figure (240k) it will be a big success (which is about how many Edge's Ford sells (130k), and a lot more than the Mustang (80k) which fills a similar brand "passion" asset role).

Remember that like the Wrangler, the Bronco is not just selling itself, it is promoting the image of the brand as rugged and capable. Its brand value and public image is very strong, and that draws people in to the dealers -- and if it turns out they're not comfortable with the ride quality or whatever, then they have you try another model that shares the same off-road tech or whatever that is fully independent suspension, and maybe a better profit margin too. This is the real funciton of the Raptor too, to sell other Ford/Lincoln models (especially the 3-4 that share the HO 3.5L engine, which by the way are high profit margin units like Platinum F150s, Expeditions, Navigators).

If Ford tries to market the Bronco as rugged and off road adventure capable, and that turns out to be laughably inaccurate, then Ford will have shot itself in the foot and thrown a valuable brand asset in the garbage. I suspect that was the direction they were going, and the backlash from the focus groups and maybe the GM faux pas with the Blazer influenced a course change, and development delay.

Ford doesn't need another flaccid vehicle that appeals directly to the masses, they have a bunch of mass market crossovers already. What they don't have is an actual SUV in the traditional sense, particularly one with believable off road credibility (the Explorer and Expedition are both fully independent, and the Explorer which took the Bronco slot in the lineup back in the '90s has been unibody for a decade now).

But we won't know what Ford actually intends for the Bronco to be for, or compete with, until they deign to tell us something about it more meaningful than "not wimpy" or "way beyond the city", which has been nothing but subjective and useless for understanding what to expect.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:14 AM
PrescottIce
Elder User
PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.
Everything is pure speculation until we see specs, measurements, weights, dimensions, etc.

The part that frightens me is the statement "...a bold, new look..."

My preference would be a retro like the Mustangs have been, but it won't be a deal-killer if the underpinnings are fully capable and the top hat looks like an Explorer. Compromise on the hardware, retro looks or not, and that will amount to a total fail for me. I have a '71 that could be very comfy for another couple dozen years with an infusion of about $40k, what I expect a well-equipped '21 to cost.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:14 PM
ovenrat
Freshman User
ovenrat is starting off with a positive reputation.
found this today …..

Old 03-10-2019, 07:22 PM
Stampede.Offroad
Freshman User
Stampede.Offroad is starting off with a positive reputation.
A nice looking vehicle, but other than the grille/bumper it seems to have more in common with an old school Defender than anything else.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:43 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.
And the hilarity continues...

Old 03-10-2019, 09:50 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster
rollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud of
I would park that in my garage! I know it is not a Ford render.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:28 AM
seventyseven250
Post Fiend
seventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant future
Since jeep brought out the 4 door wrangle, don't they sell like 5x more four-doors than 2 doors now? Someone look that up for me, I'm too hungover to fact-check.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:03 PM
willceecee
New User
willceecee is starting off with a positive reputation.
The new Bronco will be on a Range Rover chassis That's my guess....It will probably cost as much too.....Unfortunately.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:04 PM
willceecee
New User
willceecee is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by ovenrat View Post
found this today …..
Can you say Toyota FJ Cruiser??

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: