The new bronco will compete with what? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Bronco > 2020 Bronco
Reload this Page >

The new bronco will compete with what?

Notices
2020 Bronco Discussion for the upcoming 2020 Ford Bronco!

The new bronco will compete with what?

Old 03-15-2019, 11:40 AM
River Wild
Elder User
River Wild is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.River Wild is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Not sure where to post this but I'll say here. As a reformed Jeep owner I would love to see coil sprung solid axles on the new Bronco. If Ford is truly going to go head to head with Jeep then nothing other than body on frame and solid D44's will suffice. People can poo poo solid axles all they want but if you want an all around wheeler, that's where it's at. Yes I understand most are just mall crawlers but some of us will modify and wheel it since that's what it's made for.

That said, we have an 2018 4Runner and it's pretty capable. It certainly rides better on gravel roads at speed, stock. I would say a jeep is close but only with the tires aired down the front sway bar disconnected. The 4R doesn't have the articulation and approach/departure angles suck. It will never be the wheeler I want so I've been looking at FJ's which are a little better but I'm going to wait to see what this Bronco turns out to be. IFS will not be a deal breaker for me since I don't "crawl" that much. I'm guessing cost will be the limiting factor but I'll wait and see.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:04 PM
SDDL-UP
Elder User
SDDL-UP is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by willceecee View Post
Can you say Toyota FJ Cruiser??
The difference is - the FJ40 doesn't have a removable top, the above render does. I would be VERY interested in that vehicle!

Old 03-18-2019, 01:14 PM
Dentside
Junior User
Dentside is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by jn2630 View Post
Lol, Iím just saying the sales experts at ford want to sell a ton of these things. There will probably be a lot of compromise in the new bronco, with focus being ďmass marketĒ. I would be really surprised, and delighted, if they decided to compete with Jeep. But Iím betting It will be more similar to the 4 runner.
Then that's what I'll be buying(used). I'd never buy any fiat product, and if Ford lacks the foresight to build an actual trail capable and easily modified platform there's no need to drop 50k when a similar 4runner can be had for 20k.

Old 03-18-2019, 04:13 PM
ovenrat
Freshman User
ovenrat is starting off with a positive reputation.
anyone know what percentage of Wranglers are Rubicons sold each year ?

thanks

Old 03-18-2019, 06:03 PM
someday
Posting Guru
someday is starting off with a positive reputation.
doesnt the explorer practically already compete with the 4runner?

Old 03-18-2019, 06:16 PM
Stampede.Offroad
Freshman User
Stampede.Offroad is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by ovenrat View Post
anyone know what percentage of Wranglers are Rubicons sold each year ?

thanks
Don't think I've seen a trim level break down. The Unlimited outsells 2-doors 4:1 though.

2018 Jeep brand sales were just shy of a million for the US, and 1/4 of that was Wranglers, with Cherokee and Grand Cherokee only slightly less each.

I would hazard a guess that the luxury/comfort and base trims outsell Rubicons though -- I've seen a lot of Sahara's and Sports. The idea of a Rubicon is what pushes sales for all of them though.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:25 PM
DSLTRK60
Senior User
DSLTRK60 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by someday View Post
In offroad capability or comfort? I'd go with the latter..

Old 03-18-2019, 06:46 PM
Stampede.Offroad
Freshman User
The Explorer is a unibody vehicle with fully independent suspension. And the new one is 3-rows of seating. It doesn't even remotely compete with the 4Runner -- more along the lines of VW Atlas and Dodge Durango.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:28 PM
ovenrat
Freshman User
ovenrat is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Stampede.Offroad View Post
Don't think I've seen a trim level break down. The Unlimited outsells 2-doors 4:1 though.

2018 Jeep brand sales were just shy of a million for the US, and 1/4 of that was Wranglers, with Cherokee and Grand Cherokee only slightly less each.

I would hazard a guess that the luxury/comfort and base trims outsell Rubicons though -- I've seen a lot of Sahara's and Sports. The idea of a Rubicon is what pushes sales for all of them though.
K, read somewhere that the 4 dr were king Ö..thanks

Old 03-19-2019, 02:22 PM
someday
Posting Guru
how much better could a 4R be because it has a rear diff and body on frame design???

Old 03-19-2019, 05:25 PM
Stampede.Offroad
Freshman User
how much better could a 4R be because it has a rear diff and body on frame design???
"Better" for what? They're built very differently, but they have different sales demographics. The 4Runner is purpose built for better off road capability and mechanical durability -- the Explorer is built to strongly favor comfort and ease of operation. I hope very much that the target demographic for the Bronco will be different from the Explorer and Edge which are likely to closely match it in size and price.

For going off road solid axles and locking differentials would be orders of magnitude better. On road, you tires never really move vertically, so stubby little A-arms and pencil thin tire sidewalls are fine, and mild AWD systems are more than enough to maintain traction and momentum because you rarely encounter obstalces greater than a speed bump or puddle.

Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM
someday
Posting Guru
i undersrtand there are built differently but if someone is looking at an explorer a 4runner would be in the same class. the bronco is not going to compete with 4R. ford has the explorer and if wanted to compete better with a 4R they could make a "raptor" explorer.

if the bronco will have solid axles, removable doors and tops then it will be a wrangler fighter

Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM
DSLTRK60
Senior User
DSLTRK60 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i undersrtand there are built differently but if someone is looking at an explorer a 4runner would be in the same class. the bronco is not going to compete with 4R. ford has the explorer and if wanted to compete better with a 4R they could make a "raptor" explorer.

if the bronco will have solid axles, removable doors and tops then it will be a wrangler fighter
They were in the same class 16 years ago when the explorer had a half ton sized rear axle and frame.

The current explorer is physically larger than the runner and has weak off road running gear.

I would bet that demographics point to younger people purchasing the 4runner than the explorer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: