Using gooseneck safety chains with factory pucks

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 01:51 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Using gooseneck safety chains with factory pucks

Just bought a new Big Tex 14GN 30-foot gooseneck trailer. My truck has the factory GN/5ver hitch prep. I used the Reese Elite kit designed specifically for factory prep. When I attached the trailer, the first problem was that the safety chain hooks were not large enough to get through the "ears" on the safety chain loops in the bed. I used a shackle rated for the load. But upon getting home and backing into my space, I felt a tug...the chain isn't long enough and when the truck and trailer were turned about 60 degrees to each other, one chain was stretched fully taut. I ended up disconnecting the chains for now to back in, but is it common for the safety chains to not be long enough to use with the factory-style chain loops? They are certainly spaced much further away from the GN ball compared with an aftermarket setup.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:47 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
My safety chains were plenty long on my Belmont goose with the factory prep mounting points. I'm not following the hook/loop mismatch. I found the hooks on my chains were too big for the standard Reese chain mounting pucks. Reese actually makes a tall chain mounting point that works with the bigger hooks. Though it sounds like your issue is the other way around?

Old 03-08-2019, 07:55 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,621 Likes on 1,643 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
Just bought a new Big Tex 14GN 30-foot gooseneck trailer. My truck has the factory GN/5ver hitch prep. I used the Reese Elite kit designed specifically for factory prep. When I attached the trailer, the first problem was that the safety chain hooks were not large enough to get through the "ears" on the safety chain loops in the bed. I used a shackle rated for the load. But upon getting home and backing into my space, I felt a tug...the chain isn't long enough and when the truck and trailer were turned about 60 degrees to each other, one chain was stretched fully taut. I ended up disconnecting the chains for now to back in, but is it common for the safety chains to not be long enough to use with the factory-style chain loops? They are certainly spaced much further away from the GN ball compared with an aftermarket setup.
Tyler,if this is with your Dodge/Ram, I have looked at the spacing on mine and thought the same thing. Gonna have to unhook safety chains before tight turns and maneuvring. The pucks on the Ram are spaced very far from the pivot poiint.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:45 PM
BowtieConvert
Lead Driver
Received 2,543 Likes on 832 Posts
I have 2 PJ's and a Maxx D. No problems with the Ford puck system and I've had them in some tight turns.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:41 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Yeah, this is on my 2018 RAM. I posed the question on this forum because it is usually more helpful.

The Ford factory puck locations appear equally far away, though.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:04 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Yeah, this is on my 2018 RAM. I posed the question on this forum because it is usually more helpful.

The Ford factory puck locations appear equally far away, though.
i do believe there is a little difference in the FoMoCo and the Fiat in that the Ford pucks are directly over the frame rails, and the Fiat ones are outboard of the frame rails, making them even further away from the ball/pivot point.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:18 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 99150

i do believe there is a little difference in the FoMoCo and the Fiat in that the Ford pucks are directly over the frame rails, and the Fiat ones are outboard of the frame rails, making them even further away from the ball/pivot point.
Could be, but considering the entire factory gooseneck hitch is mounted between the frame rails and below the bed, wouldn't it make sense the pucks are still part of the hitch? Are you saying the Mopar hitch extends beyond the frame rails? I'll have to check.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:14 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Could be, but considering the entire factory gooseneck hitch is mounted between the frame rails and below the bed, wouldn't it make sense the pucks are still part of the hitch? Are you saying the Mopar hitch extends beyond the frame rails? I'll have to check.
All I remember for sure is that the pucks were in the way for my fuel tank mounts, and I had to modify the tank mounting because of it.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:51 AM
Tom N OH
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Cross your safety chains. That's the real reason for crossing them, doesn't matter if it's a gooseneck trailer or a pull behind trailer. You cross the chains so that you can turn without one side getting tight.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:14 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Tom N OH
Cross your safety chains. That's the real reason for crossing them, doesn't matter if it's a gooseneck trailer or a pull behind trailer. You cross the chains so that you can turn without one side getting tight.
On that first trip the chains literally wouldn't reach when crossed, so I had to leave them connected on each side with no cross. I've now got some better shackles which allow easy connection between the hooks and the pucks, so they can be crossed now.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:11 AM
Tom N OH
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Today’s lesson is, if the chains are too short to cross, they’re too short to turn. Lol. Glad you got it sorted out.