Notices

New '19 f250 moves around while towing

Old 03-08-2019, 08:51 AM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My bet is its the tires. Michelins tend to squirm anyway and the pressure is probably too high. My truck came with 18" Wranglers and the door tag says 65 psi/rear and 60 psi/front. That's where I run mine (F250, CCSB, 6.7) when towing and its the model of comfort and stability. I bumper pull about 10K.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:54 AM
Wotf8
Freshman User
Wotf8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My plan was to run these til next winter, then install bf ko2 35 x 12.50's for the winter. I am going to drop the pressures and see what the drive home is like, that is a week out.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:24 AM
SDcrewzer
Posting Guru
SDcrewzer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SDcrewzer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Lightbulb

Details posted above suggest your F250 Lariat CCSB 4x4 6.7 is fitted with 20” wheels and corresponding tires. If so, it’s likely that your truck is not fitted with the optional camper package (no rear stabilizer bar or aux rear spring leaf).

The tires may be rated for 7500 lbs. combined, but the rear spring pair (three leaves per side?) is rated for 6340 lbs. combined. The rear suspension might be a bit on the soft side.

Separately, is the trailer’s pin weight over or just ahead of the rear axle centerline? Just checking...

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Old 03-08-2019, 11:08 AM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Wotf8 View Post
I am 400 pounds over the max payload when full of fuel. When another pickup is passing you, once they get to the front bumper, I have to counter steer as the air pressure changes off the front of the truck. Things like that didn't bother the ram, but I never had new michilen tires, bf ko2's.

I think you have cited your problems here. 1) you are over the max payload. 2) the front end gets pushed around by another truck's bow-wave.

I know the front tires being at 80 psi will make them much more sensitive to the bow-wave, especially if you consider the excessive load on the rear tires.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:32 AM
Wotf8
Freshman User
The load shouldn't be excessive for the tires as if it were a 350 srw it would of come with the same tires. And I think it should work fine because yes I am at the max payload, but still well under the max trailer weight. It should work perfect even at max payload and max trailer weight, there is no way they made it work barely good enough at the maxes, Ford has been building trucks for way too long.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:53 AM
SDcrewzer
Posting Guru
SDcrewzer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SDcrewzer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Lightbulb

The same tires may be available on the F350, but it also comes with higher rated springs (up to 7230 lbs. per pair with five leaves each).

Speaking of payload, what is your truckís actual as-built payload spec? Check the load label on the driver side B pillar. Note that payload includes the weight of driver, passengers,and other "stuff", and not just cargo and trailer pin weight.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Old 03-08-2019, 11:55 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.
Over max payload is over max payload and you can't cite the max trailer weight and think everything should be happy. That's not how it works.

Ford should put a footnote in their max towing capacity numbers that says, "Yes, the truck can handle the max capacity, but the drive is really, really going to suck."

Old 03-08-2019, 06:17 PM
Wotf8
Freshman User
I guess I am just comparing it to my old truck, I was more over the payload on it and it drove perfectly.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:21 PM
Wotf8
Freshman User
Originally Posted by SDcrewzer View Post
Details posted above suggest your F250 Lariat CCSB 4x4 6.7 is fitted with 20Ē wheels and corresponding tires. If so, itís likely that your truck is not fitted with the optional camper package (no rear stabilizer bar or aux rear spring leaf).

The tires may be rated for 7500 lbs. combined, but the rear spring pair (three leaves per side?) is rated for 6340 lbs. combined. The rear suspension might be a bit on the soft side.

Separately, is the trailerís pin weight over or just ahead of the rear axle centerline? Just checking...

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
It is just ahead, not by much and it doesn't add hardly any weight to the front axle, just like my ram, but the ram did have a sway bar. I really don't think that is the problem, but like I said early, I'll find out in a week with lower tire pressure.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:50 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Posting Guru
Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.
Are you really at 12K trailer gross weight, and only 2000 lbs on the pin? That is your actual certified scale weight? Not a "guesstimate"?

That just sounds way too light on the pin weight to me.

And a 2000 lb pin weight puts you 400 pounds over your truck's weight rating?

Old 03-08-2019, 07:53 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Army RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to behold
Your previous RAM experience has no bearing on your current situation.

My opinion is that ALL tires (truck and 5th) should be aired up to recommended pressures (as noted on the truck door jam/ side of 5th). Additionally the truck should NOT exceed its rated cargo specs (also noted in the door jam).

Lastly the 5th should be loaded with 20%-25% of its total weight on the pin. If that exceeds your trucks allowable cargo weight then you purchased too little truck for the load.

JMHO.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:03 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Army RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to behold
Just a history reminder: read up on the old Ford Exploder tire problems.
Underinflated tires generate heat which lead to serious failures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firest...re_controversy

Old 03-09-2019, 06:13 AM
SDcrewzer
Posting Guru
Ford’s guidance for 5th-wheel trailer pin weight is 15%. Same for Chevrolet and Ram.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Old 03-09-2019, 06:24 AM
Army RET
Posting Guru
"Fordís guidance for 5th-wheel trailer pin weight is 15%."

While 15% is fine for a bumper pull the RV community would beg to differ with that notion while pulling a 5th wheel.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:39 AM
xrated
Senior User
xrated is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by SDcrewzer View Post
Ford’s guidance for 5th-wheel trailer pin weight is 15%. Same for Chevrolet and Ram.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
Real world/everyday guidance for pin weight of camping type trailers........20+ percent of the GVW

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.