Damage from driving 70 miles with blown out spark plug? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V10 (6.8l)
Reload this Page >

Damage from driving 70 miles with blown out spark plug?

Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 03-03-2019, 05:49 AM
makemeknowit
Senior User
makemeknowit is starting off with a positive reputation.

I was coming home yesterday from a rock crawling trip in Clayton OK when a spark plug spit out with 70 miles to go. I eased it back in but it blew out again 10-15 miles later and wouldn't stay in after that. I drove on home, gas fumes were unreal and inescapable. So how likely is it the raw fuel trashed the cylinder wall in that hole?

Old 03-03-2019, 05:54 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
I think the PCM disables the injector after a while of it seeing a misfire on any one cylinder. I sincerely hope your cylinder and rings are NOT trashed!

My guess in the fumes were from combustion gases in the other cylinders "leaking" into and escaping from the blown plug cylinder.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:57 AM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
Why didn't you just unplug the injector?

Old 03-03-2019, 06:14 AM
tiffy2000
New User
tiffy2000 is starting off with a positive reputation.
From blownsparkplugs.com

Q: Can I drive with a blown plug to bring my vehicle in for repair?
A: Of course I do not recommend it. But I have had many customers remove the damaged coil, spark plug, and disconnect the fuel injector to drive the vehicle in for repairs. One customer drove his V8 over 700 miles to our location for repairs. Note! If you plan on following this process, VERIFY that you disconnected the correct injector.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:39 AM
Krewat
Super Moderator
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Depending on whether it is OBD-I or OBD-II, it may or may not disable the injector on the cylinder in a reasonable amount of time.

Old 03-04-2019, 04:49 PM
super 6.8
Elder User
super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.
It will be nice to have new cats. You can eliminate that from future trouble shooting.

Your cylinder wall is probably fine. I bet most of the fuel was expelled.

Check your dip stick to see if you detect any gas to make sure though.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:32 AM
johnfist
Senior User
johnfist is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'd say the chances are pretty slim that there's significant damage. Patch it all up and do a compression test if you're worried.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.