Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Ford OEM Brake Rotors

 
  #1  
Old 03-02-2019, 03:35 AM
Ratler
Ratler is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 5
Ratler is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford OEM Brake Rotors

I have purchased brand new brake rotors from a Ford dealer off Ebay. They are $60.00 cheaper than buying from my dealers parts counter. But I want to make sure these are not somebody's used rotors that's been resurfaced and are brand new rotors. Does anyone know the thickness of brand new brake rotors for a 2015 F 350 6.7 4x4 SRW ? Not min resurfacing thickness but the thickness of brand new rotors . Regards , Ratler
 
  #2  
Old 03-02-2019, 05:28 AM
Just Strokin
Just Strokin is online now
Postmaster
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Tallassee, ALabama
Posts: 4,650
Just Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud of
Have you received the rotors or awaiting their arrival? What is the feed back for the seller?

If the seller is a legit Ford dealer, which mostly likely they are, I doubt they would be selling used parts as new.

you have a link to the rotors you purchased?
 
  #3  
Old 03-02-2019, 05:59 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Chuck's First Ford is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: very South Texas
Posts: 4,367
Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.
used .. not likely.. the heat escape ports will show rust. and unless dipped into acid ..not easy to remove.

but from china New yes..

technically ,, OEM parts are not the same as production line parts.. just so that is understood..
they are approved factory replacement parts.. but in some cases they are the same.. just do NOT expect it.
 
  #4  
Old 03-02-2019, 07:23 AM
CollinsCD's Avatar
CollinsCD
CollinsCD is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Odessa, Delaware
Posts: 6,348
CollinsCD has a great reputation on FTE.CollinsCD has a great reputation on FTE.CollinsCD has a great reputation on FTE.CollinsCD has a great reputation on FTE.
What Chuck said!
 
  #5  
Old 03-02-2019, 07:26 AM
Djosbun
Djosbun is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 549
Djosbun is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would never buy an auto part on eBay. I would rather buy from an established, ligitimate business. Lots of fraudlant items sold on eBay and Amazon. There are enough online Ford dealers to get a good deal from.

Especially something as important as brake parts.

Just my two cents.

Dave
 
  #6  
Old 03-02-2019, 08:45 AM
Tom's Avatar
Tom
Tom is online now
Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Isanti, MN
Posts: 23,680
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
What makes you think they might be used? Did they not show up in Motorcraft boxes wrapped in plastic?

I don't think you could ever clean up a used rotor to make it look like new, and I don't think I've ever heard of used rotors ever being sold before. Can you post a link to the ad? I'm wondering why you're so skeptical of this.
.
Originally Posted by Djosbun View Post
I would never buy an auto part on eBay. I would rather buy from an established, ligitimate business. Lots of fraudlant items sold on eBay and Amazon. There are enough online Ford dealers to get a good deal from.

Especially something as important as brake parts.

Just my two cents.

— Dave

Why not? There are thousands of completely legitimate businesses that sell every day online. I have purchased auto parts on eBay before without a problem, including brake parts from an established Toyota dealer on the West Coast. They came in sealed total boxes with the "OEM Toyota" seal on them. It just takes a quick look to see who the seller is, and eBay's feedback system does a good job separating small fish from the well-established businesses.

I buy all my parts online unless it is something I need right away. I typically use RockAuto.com for most things, but rotors are normally cheaper with Amazon prime. I check eBay as well, but I'm very selective on brand and refuse to use brand-less Chinese imports. There's a lot of good stuff that comes out of China, but most sold on eBay without an established brand are poor quality at best.
 
  #7  
Old 03-02-2019, 08:57 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Chuck's First Ford is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: very South Texas
Posts: 4,367
Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
What makes you think they might be used? Did they not show up in Motorcraft boxes wrapped in plastic?

I don't think you could ever clean up a used rotor to make it look like new, and I don't think I've ever heard of used rotors ever being sold before. Can you post a link to the ad? I'm wondering why you're so skeptical of this.
.


Why not? There are thousands of completely legitimate businesses that sell every day online. I have purchased auto parts on eBay before without a problem, including brake parts from an established Toyota dealer on the West Coast. They came in sealed total boxes with the "OEM Toyota" seal on them. It just takes a quick look to see who the seller is, and eBay's feedback system does a good job separating small fish from the well-established businesses.

I buy all my parts online unless it is something I need right away. I typically use RockAuto.com for most things, but rotors are normally cheaper with Amazon prime. I check eBay as well, but I'm very selective on brand and refuse to use brand-less Chinese imports. There's a lot of good stuff that comes out of China, but most sold on eBay without an established brand are poor quality at best.
another where is the "LIKE" button ..
 
  #8  
Old 03-02-2019, 10:07 AM
super 6.8
super 6.8 is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern KS
Posts: 1,026
super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Djosbun View Post
I would never buy an auto part on eBay. I would rather buy from an established, ligitimate business. Lots of fraudlant items sold on eBay and Amazon. There are enough online Ford dealers to get a good deal from.

Especially something as important as brake parts.

Just my two cents.

Dave
You might have a different experience than me but I have bought parts online for years. Quite often it seems.

I have yet to have a bad experience. You just have to research a little before buying something. Many times you can get much better quality than parts stores like Autozone, etc.. and the prices can be a lot better too.

I have Ford dealer within a few minutes of my house and I still do buy parts from them at times.
 
  #9  
Old 03-02-2019, 10:24 AM
alloro
alloro is offline
Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 0,0,1
Posts: 15,827
alloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford View Post
another where is the "LIKE" button ..
Top right of the post, click the balance icon.
 
  #10  
Old 03-02-2019, 06:19 PM
Ratler
Ratler is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 5
Ratler is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford F 350 Brake Rotors

Originally Posted by super 6.8 View Post
You might have a different experience than me but I have bought parts online for years. Quite often it seems.

I have yet to have a bad experience. You just have to research a little before buying something. Many times you can get much better quality than parts stores like Autozone, etc.. and the prices can be a lot better too.

I have Ford dealer within a few minutes of my house and I still do buy parts from them at times.
Thanks for everyone's reply and words of wisdom . The member that mentioned that one can tell used resurfaced rotors makes sense. Maybe they cant be made to look brand new. The Ford Dealer selling them has been around for years selling cars and trucks. Ebay record 100 % positive feedback for years. But I wonder why this dealer is selling $200.00 rotors for $130.00 free shipping. Maybe it's just another way to make a buck. Dealer may have paid $75.00 for each and being many are ordering online and walking up to the counter the dealer just keeps ordering and selling both ways. It's a small town Ford dealer. And small town dealers do not sell many vehicles. And come to the country and save is not true. I priced my truck at three small town dealers. Called a large Dallas dealer and quoted $5k less. Drove to that dealer and purchased for $5k less. Had to wait a hour to sign papers due to dealer full of customers. So it may be that this small town dealer is just selling parts every way possible to make a dollar. Still would like to know rotor thickness to slap a mic on right fast.
 
  #11  
Old 03-02-2019, 07:14 PM
Tom's Avatar
Tom
Tom is online now
Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Isanti, MN
Posts: 23,680
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
You can't compare the parts retail business with new car sales, they are entirely different businesses housed under the same roof.

We have one of the largest online Ford parts dealers in the nation here in Minnesota, and their online prices are usually about 30% cheaper than you'll find at the dealer's parts counter. If you go into their parts building to buy parts over the counter, they will charge you MSRP unless you ask explicitly for the "Internet price". Which instantly knocks a good 30% off the price.

Franchise agreements are proprietary, so we have no idea exactly what they say. But I imagine there's some kind of pricing agreement for Motorcraft parts to avoid competition from driving the price down. Likewise we have no idea of knowing exactly what they pay for the parts. But they couldn't make money doing it, they wouldn't… And if they were selling counterfeit parts online you can bet father Ford would shut them down.
 
  #12  
Old 03-02-2019, 08:01 PM
Ratler
Ratler is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 5
Ratler is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford F 350 Brake Rotors

Originally Posted by Tom View Post
You can't compare the parts retail business with new car sales, they are entirely different businesses housed under the same roof.

We have one of the largest online Ford parts dealers in the nation here in Minnesota, and their online prices are usually about 30% cheaper than you'll find at the dealer's parts counter. If you go into their parts building to buy parts over the counter, they will charge you MSRP unless you ask explicitly for the "Internet price". Which instantly knocks a good 30% off the price.

Franchise agreements are proprietary, so we have no idea exactly what they say. But I imagine there's some kind of pricing agreement for Motorcraft parts to avoid competition from driving the price down. Likewise we have no idea of knowing exactly what they pay for the parts. But they couldn't make money doing it, they wouldn't And if they were selling counterfeit parts online you can bet father Ford would shut them down.
Yeah. I figure the dealer is doing everything he can to make money. Sell full price at counter to competing with internet sales. These small dealers have same vehicles sitting out front for months. Sales very slow. Thanks for the help , Randy
 
  #13  
Old 03-02-2019, 08:10 PM
Ratler
Ratler is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 5
Ratler is starting off with a positive reputation.
Minnesota

Originally Posted by Ratler View Post
Yeah. I figure the dealer is doing everything he can to make money. Sell full price at counter to competing with internet sales. These small dealers have same vehicles sitting out front for months. Sales very slow. Thanks for the help , Randy
Your in Minnesota. When that large cold front hit about 3 weeks ago known as the polar vortex I looked around for the coldest areas of the US. It was in the 30s here in E TX area. People said they were freezing. I found a small town known as Clearbrook Minnesota to be the coldest at minus -45 below zero with wind chill minus -65 below zero. Minus -45 below zero is 77 degrees below freezing. That is deadly cold. That area around International Falls and Clearbrook Minnesota is the coldest place in the continental US. I dont see how tires could work in that cold without cracking. Randy
 
  #14  
Old 03-03-2019, 10:15 AM
TooManyToys.'s Avatar
TooManyToys.
TooManyToys. is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 8,546
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
And if you bought rotors online from a dealer in Minnesota during that time you could call them frozen rotors.


Dealerships parts sales are controlled by the individual dealers parts manager. They can sell below or above Ford's MSRP. Ive got a local dealer where the parts manager new gives discounts, to anyone. 20 minutes away you can meet the best online price. Its crazy.

When buying rotors and calipers online you really need to add in shipping into the calculations as well as taxes.
 
  #15  
Old 03-03-2019, 11:01 AM
I-Toon's Avatar
I-Toon
I-Toon is offline
Freshman User
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 29
I-Toon is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question

How do you know which size rotors you need? Two different sizes come up.
 
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.