6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

leaving the 6.4 team

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 02:09 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
leaving the 6.4 team

I knew this day would come and now here we are...I am a few days away from picking up a new 2018 f-450 DRW platinum edition.

I plan on retiring this year and need a vehicle I can drive around the country for a year and not worry about.

I tried to trade in my 2010 6.4 with 94k miles at various dealerships but as soon as they found out it was a 6.4 they all stuck their heads in a hole and started to act like scared ostriches.

So Ill move my mods from old to new and see if I can sell the 6.4 on ebay or clist.

feel free to email me if anyone has a question on their 6.4 that I might be able to help with.

best wishes and good luck.

Old 03-01-2019, 02:29 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Yep. The 6.4 will be a tough sell. I know I'll have mine till it completely quits. Then it'll go to the junk yard.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:16 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Congrats on the new truck fritz. Hope she treats you well, I have heard great things about the 6.7. And thanks for all your insight on the 6.4, you helped me quite a few times.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:27 AM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
I have two 6.4s that are likely at their "end of life" journey on my hands.

One, a 2008 F-350 DRW with 286K kms and 9474 hours that I've known about since it was purchased new from our dealership. Came in on the hook as a no start. The story goes that it sat for about six days before they needed it. When they attempted to start it, they tried boosting it and it was a no go. By the time I got to it, the starter would only spin but not crank the engine. So, upon barring the engine over by hand to ensure it wasn't seized or locked up, I called a starter for it to which the customer agreed. Upon replacing the starter, I was now able to crank the engine over but unable to get the engine to fire up due to insufficient FRP psi but that's not the worst of it. Cranking the engine over reveals very clearly that something major inside has let go. It should also be noted that the previous oil change I had done on this truck months ago, there were bits of needle bearings stuck to the magnet on the drain plug. Those of us familiar with these engines are well aware of what failed roller lifter would entail for repair. In my opinion, he did well that he was able to make it this long on a 6.4 original engine.

6.4 number two, a 2010 with 179K kms brought to me with the mistaken request to reprogram two new injectors replaced by someone else in an attempt to correct cylinders #2 and #7 misfires. I promptly inform the person who brought the truck to me, that injectors on these engines are just plug and play. They do not require the IQA calibration codes programmed like they do on 6.7s and 3.2s. Long story short, relative compression check very quickly reveals cylinders #2 and #7 completely down on compression, also very quickly indicating that an internal mechanically failed engine part issue. This should have been very evident with loud knocking sound heard from the engine, prior to replacing the injectors, but what would I know right?

I've said it many times before, and I say it again. These 6.4s are ticking time bombs on wheels. Well, in the aforementioned two owners' cases, the time bombs have exploded.

To the OP. You likely are already well aware of this judging by the content of your past posts, but you will not be disappointed at all with your new 6.7. The fact that it has now been the diesel engine option choice for the Super Duty truck lineup for nine model years and counting should very clearly speak to its quality. To put it into perspective, the 6.7 has now been in production longer than both the disastrous 6.0L and 6.4L combined, with no known plans for a replacement. In my opinion, Ford hit a home run with their divorce from Navistar.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:28 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Originally Posted by m-chan68
I have two 6.4s that are likely at their "end of life" journey on my hands.

One, a 2008 F-350 DRW with 286K kms and 9474 hours that I've known about since it was purchased new from our dealership. Came in on the hook as a no start. The story goes that it sat for about six days before they needed it. When they attempted to start it, they tried boosting it and it was a no go. By the time I got to it, the starter would only spin but not crank the engine. So, upon barring the engine over by hand to ensure it wasn't seized or locked up, I called a starter for it to which the customer agreed. Upon replacing the starter, I was now able to crank the engine over but unable to get the engine to fire up due to insufficient FRP psi but that's not the worst of it. Cranking the engine over reveals very clearly that something major inside has let go. It should also be noted that the previous oil change I had done on this truck months ago, there were bits of needle bearings stuck to the magnet on the drain plug. Those of us familiar with these engines are well aware of what failed roller lifter would entail for repair. In my opinion, he did well that he was able to make it this long on a 6.4 original engine.

6.4 number two, a 2010 with 179K kms brought to me with the mistaken request to reprogram two new injectors replaced by someone else in an attempt to correct cylinders #2 and #7 misfires. I promptly inform the person who brought the truck to me, that injectors on these engines are just plug and play. They do not require the IQA calibration codes programmed like they do on 6.7s and 3.2s. Long story short, relative compression check very quickly reveals cylinders #2 and #7 completely down on compression, also very quickly indicating that an internal mechanically failed engine part issue. This should have been very evident with loud knocking sound heard from the engine, prior to replacing the injectors, but what would I know right?

I've said it many times before, and I say it again. These 6.4s are ticking time bombs on wheels. Well, in the aforementioned two owners' cases, the time bombs have exploded.

To the OP. You likely are already well aware of this judging by the content of your past posts, but you will not be disappointed at all with your new 6.7. The fact that it has now been the diesel engine option choice for the Super Duty truck lineup for nine model years and counting should very clearly speak to its quality. To put it into perspective, the 6.7 has now been in production longer than both the disastrous 6.0L and 6.4L combined, with no known plans for a replacement. In my opinion, Ford hit a home run with their divorce from Navistar.

that is exactly the only only problem I do not have a mitigation plan for. Every other horror story I did something about it . But those lifters....the only way to get to them for sure is to pull the motor and take them out via the bottom. There is no guarantee that you can pull them by pulling the heads becuase the lifters mushroom and they can’t be pulled out from the top. The mushrooming is caused by excessive cam base circles that put unessecary forces into the vale train .....add shave heads to the mix and you have a disaster. This is aside the lifter roller pun bearing problem.

my 6.4 is fine as a local Home Depot truck, but I plan to retire and do a year of travel trailering and need something I don’t have to worry about.

I was not sold on the gen 1 6.7 due to the problems they have but in 2015 Ford came out with the gen 2 6.7 and the gen 2 has a lot of fixes for the problems of the gen 1 and then some. So I started looking for a gen 2 truck.

i found a 2018 left over which the exact model as a 2019 would cost 15k more and on top of that I got 9k in clearance rebates due to this being a 2018 left over.

i should have it in a week to 10 days.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:55 AM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
I'm starting to feel like an old soldier and my troops are falling all around me.

Fritz, can you PM me your contact info in the event I take a hit and need a 6.4 medic.

It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx for always being there for us. Your experience and knowledge of this unit has helped so many.

Hate to lose you but I do understand.

Safe travels and I hope your new girl is all you expect it to be.

Denny

Old 03-02-2019, 10:05 AM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Thanx Mike ! Salute!!!!

Old 03-03-2019, 09:00 AM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im still in my 2008 F350 6.4L i bought it new in june 2007. I have 74627 miles and 2995 hours on her. Over her life, she really only had general maintenance items replaced. Nothing to major, other than a transmission TCM (cracked), and just last week the fuel pump assembly (also cracked). My repairs over 11 years have been radiator hoses, fuel level sending unit, ac compressor, radiator, transmission fluid lines to intercooler, ball joints, tie-rods, and calipers. Unfortunately $4k worth of these repairs have been in the last 3 months.
I'd love to get into a newer truck, like a 2017. But i have a hard time justifying another payment based on how many miles my current truck has. I tow a 38' fifth wheel camper during the warmer months. But at the sime time, i almost feel like there is another bigger issue waiting to show up. I know i would get more if i trade it in now rather than waiting. But i still don't want another $500+ monthly payment.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:05 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
11 years your got your money’s worth and then some.

Keep doing what ever it is your doing.

but brace yourself on the new prices

Old 03-03-2019, 09:09 AM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
11 years your got your money’s worth and then some.

Keep doing what ever it is your doing.

but brace yourself on the new prices
oh i know, that is why its so hard to jump into a new one. Even a used 2017 are $57k and up. But im afraid one of those $8k repairs is looming....lol. that would be half of what my truck is worth.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:14 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Any 6.7 2015 or newer would be good. 2015 is the intro of the second gen 6.7.

a 2016 is still steel.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:04 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SUPERDUTY_08
oh i know, that is why its so hard to jump into a new one. Even a used 2017 are $57k and up. But im afraid one of those $8k repairs is looming....lol. that would be half of what my truck is worth.
If I was in your situation, I would just keep the 6.4 til it dies. Then sell it on craigslist "as is" and someone will give you 5 grand or whatever for a parts truck. Like you said, there's no sense sinking $8k into it when its this old, but maybe it won't come to that.

If you do get a new one, at least in my area, 17's were going for a few thousand less than a brand new truck off the lot. Not worth buying used diesels in my opinion unless you are going 4-5 years old or more

Old 03-16-2019, 10:10 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Ian123
If I was in your situation, I would just keep the 6.4 til it dies. Then sell it on craigslist "as is" and someone will give you 5 grand or whatever for a parts truck. Like you said, there's no sense sinking $8k into it when its this old, but maybe it won't come to that.

If you do get a new one, at least in my area, 17's were going for a few thousand less than a brand new truck off the lot. Not worth buying used diesels in my opinion unless you are going 4-5 years old or more

if if I just needed a Home Depot truck that would have been the plan. But, I’m retirement eligible on my second pension and the plan is to buy a 5th wheel and travel for a year or two. No way I would do that with a 9 year old 6.4 with 100k miles on it. Was thinking of rebuilding the motor before the trip but by the time you replace the important stuff on top of doing the overhaul, I could run up an easy 15 to 20k bill.

wife wanted me to get a new truck so she twisted my arm until I said ok.

got 25,500 on my trade in at a large high volume dealership which was 10 k more the medium and smaller dealerships offered. And that was real money on top of heavy discounts and rebates. 2 days later they sold the 2010 for 32k.