Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me 3v V10

Old 02-28-2019, 02:18 AM
Mcrafty1
Posting Guru
Mcrafty1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Mcrafty1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
New to me 3v V10

New to this section, I own a 6.0 and have been lurking around over there for a few years now. I just purchased a 2009 F250 SCLB with 87,500 on the odometer, the owner has done much to maintain this truck...with records...like scheduled servicing and 60,000 mile engine and transmission flush..what are the common issues I should expect to see pop up as I use this truck? Thanks for the schooling in advance.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:34 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
With the PO being so diligent on maintenance I doubt you'll have too many issues that tend to arise from a lack of maintenance----good find on that F-Series BTW! I'm very impressed PO transmission flush---that's so often overlooked its almost a crime.

Any info if or when the spark plugs were changed? I know the 3V's have issues with the first change as those plugs are known to be a bear removing.

Manifold studs are another issue with V10's---you might want to check their health too.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:18 PM
Mcrafty1
Posting Guru
Mcrafty1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Mcrafty1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I don't know yet about the plugs, I'm picking the truck up Saturday and will have all the info in hand at that time, I do know about the plugs being a trouble spot though, I also have an 07 5.4 3v, that was an expensive plug change...5 out of 8 broke off. but the people I had do it removed the pieces without any problems just extra time...I'm hoping the PO of the v10 has already fought that battle.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:16 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
dualwheels66 has a very good reputation on FTE.dualwheels66 has a very good reputation on FTE.dualwheels66 has a very good reputation on FTE.dualwheels66 has a very good reputation on FTE.
If you’re getting an ‘09, then you have the updated plug. Just make sure to change them every 50k and you’ll be just fine.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:28 AM
Mcrafty1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dualwheels66 View Post
If you’re getting an ‘09, then you have the updated plug. Just make sure to change them every 50k and you’ll be just fine.
Ahhhh, so the 09's came new with the one piece plugs? if so that's a head ache avoided. Thanks for the reply.

Old 03-01-2019, 05:38 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Mcrafty1 View Post
Ahhhh, so the 09's came new with the one piece plugs? if so that's a head ache avoided. Thanks for the reply.
That's also new info about those engines---at least to me. Glad Ford solved this---it had to be a huge headache to deal with.

Old 03-02-2019, 03:52 AM
Mcrafty1
Posting Guru
" Manifold studs are another issue with V10's---you might want to check their health too"

Thanks for that information...I'll be sure and check on that when I get to the truck.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:44 AM
Mcrafty1
Posting Guru
Update! The 2009 F250 V10 3v is sitting in my driveway, I made the 300 mile round trip to pick her up yesterday. The verifiable list of service work done to the truck came with it and is very impressive. The only thing NOT done that concerns me is the first plug change, PO didn't do it because it wasn't due till 90,000 miles and with 87,500 on the clock he didn't get to it. Other than that the truck is everything I was told and expected. Awesome power!.......which is going to come at a price...12.7 MPG on the ride home. but with no payment I'm hoping I can keep it on the road..lol. The icing on the cake is the fact that the truck came from New Mexico originally and has never seen a Maine winter....and the first time it was driven in salt was on the ride to my house. Completely rust free and even has the original various stick on labels and chalk ( or something resembling it) markings on the frame that new vehicles have when they arrive on the lots. I'll try and get a picture or two posted when I can get to it. Thanks for the info you people have given me and the encouragement that your stories of longevity concerning these engines.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:51 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
If there's good news about potential bad news regarding 3V plugs is there's plenty of help and tooling available to get past that first time. I sincerely hope you have zero issues when you tackle that problem.

And while I know the Modular Motors are supposed to go a full 100K miles between plug changes I don't think that's the best idea over all. Changing them at 50K somewhat prevents them from being so difficult and problematic when done at 100K. Sure its a PITA but by comparison the more frequent interval is peanuts compared to a plug that wants to give you problems at 100K.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:02 AM
Mcrafty1
Posting Guru
If what I have been told about the 2009's having the one piece spark plugs I'm hoping it won't break the bank to get them swapped out...I'll let you all know how that goes when I get to it. for now I'm just going to let it sit in the driveway till the roads are no longer being salted. Usually by mid April we are done with that and the spring rains have washed off the residual salt and it's safe to take a cherished vehicle out for a ride. When that time comes I'll be taking it to my local wrencher that has the wherewithall to handle plug changes in these engines.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:22 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
That's a good plan on all fronts then!

Old 03-05-2019, 12:03 PM
mattn03
Junior User
mattn03 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Congrats on the find! Any pics of it?

Old 03-05-2019, 12:55 PM
Mcrafty1
Posting Guru
Ha ha, not yet, it's sitting out beside my garage with a foot of snow covering it.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:18 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
Watching....waiting

Old 03-10-2019, 05:29 AM
Mcrafty1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
Watching....waiting
Hahaha, I'll try and get a pic or two posted today...before it snows again, I took the truck on a 80 mile ride yesterday to get a ton of wood pellets...the truck ran awesome and handle the ton of pellets with ease, the MPG showed 12.1 for the trip. The mileage is not great but I knew that going in, but for wintertime and the cold temps it is manageable. I'm hoping for a bit better fuel mileage when summer gets here. The truck has 4:10 gears so maybe not. I'm not going to be towing with this truck (I have my 07 F350 6.0l for that) so 3.73 would have been a better gear ratio for what I'll be doing with this truck. I have never posted pictures here so that may take me a while to figure out...so hang tough.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.