Sponsored by: Moser

My 1978 F150 fix her up thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 06:38 AM
Meridian_Mike
Cargo Master

Received 220 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2

Like when painting anything you need to prep it right. I degreased, treated the rust then painted.
Dave ----
Man, your truck sure is looking good!
Mine is supposed to be about the color of yours.... I hope I can get it looking as good as yours!
Mike

Old 03-06-2019, 06:30 PM
blue351
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Meridian_Mike
I had a couple of VERY INFORMATIVE reply's in my headlight wiring question thread.
I was advised to use a couple of relays in that thread.....

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...diagram-2.html

That was where I was told the stock wiring harness had poor (undersized) wire sizes....
I am ordering this.....

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/197...ctinfo/24800H/

For $32.... that is some CHEAP peace of mind!

And as I understand..... it is a quick plug - N - play application....

Mike
Looks like a good upgrade. does anyone have pics of how this looks installed?
thanks
nice truck

Old 03-07-2019, 07:14 AM
Meridian_Mike
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by blue351
Looks like a good upgrade. does anyone have pics of how this looks installed?
thanks
nice truck
Rich... (77&79F250) .... turned me on to it. I haven't gotten one yet. I am still doing disassembly and cleaning up parts.
When I put mine in I am going to do my best to hide the wiring so everything looks "stock" under the hood.
As I understand...., This system will be installed so the power for the headlights will come straight from the battery in stead of having to go from the battery, to the switch, and then to the headlights. I had a good lesson on that theory in another thread. It seems as the system existed from the factory, there is undersized wires and the voltage dropped CONSIDERABLY from the battery to the headlights. (From like 14 volts at the battery to 8 at the headlights....) therefore, dim headlights.

When I get to re-assembly, I will definitely show some pics of my install.

Mike

Old 03-13-2019, 07:47 AM
Meridian_Mike
Cargo Master

Here is one quick update...... I am AMAZED by this Evapo Rust stuff.....
I'm gonna tell you what.... That stuff is amazing. After seeing how rusty these hood hinges were, I figured this would be a GOOD test for Evapo Rust.

SO.... here is a comparison.... The hinge on the bottom was what they both looked like before the dip.
The one on top stayed in the Evapo Rust for 3 days.... The result is...... NO RUST!
I LOVE this stuff..... It doesn't touch paint.... ONLY rust!

Heck yeah.... I LIKE this stuff.....!!!!!!

Mike

Old 03-13-2019, 07:52 AM
73GreenBean
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I was convinced to get some of this evapo rust stuff so I got the 5 gallon bucket! I’ve had it for about a week and have yet to use it yet, but after seeing your results I’m ready to just dip some bolts in and see what happens! Nice outcome!

Old 03-13-2019, 07:56 AM
Meridian_Mike
Cargo Master

Heck yeah.....
While reading thru Superblue400's thread, I saw he used it. I have been so amazed.... I have been calling people to tell 'em about this stuff!!!....LOL.
My bro-in-law has done cars and trucks all his life.... IT BLEW HIM AWAY!!!
SO.... I am here to TESTIFY my friend.... This stuff is wonderful....

Old 03-13-2019, 08:01 AM
73GreenBean
Senior User
I was reading the side of my bucket and I was wondering what the active ingredient was if it’s safe to dump down drains (well legally ) and it’s biodegradable! Pretty neat stuff really...wondering why my dad and grandad never heard about it as farmers we wear out two wire wheels on bolts and stuff every year lol! Grandad gets back from Florida first of April I plan on having some before/afters to show him! I have a feelings my bucket will become his bucket and we’ll be ordering some more haha

Old 03-14-2019, 08:38 AM
njdevil77
Tuned
Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
I have used it last summer on the trans crossmember and some other random parts for my Fairlane, really works, really well. I was totally amazed, wish I had found it years ago.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:41 AM
Meridian_Mike
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by njdevil77
I have used it last summer on the trans crossmember and some other random parts for my Fairlane, really works, really well. I was totally amazed, wish I had found it years ago.
Oh me too....
I cleaned WAY too many pieces with a wire wheel I could have dunked in this wonderful stuff.

Mike

Old 03-18-2019, 07:23 AM
Meridian_Mike
Cargo Master

Well..... I got a good days work in Saturday on my Truck. I pulled the manifold and got a view of what I expected......SLUDGE. There is a layer of this mess all over the inside of my engine. I have been told, some of the old motor oils had PARAFIN in them. I guess that is what made this mess.

When I looked at the heads... I REALLY have no idea how the oil was draining back into the oil pan. I could not see and open drain hole ANYWHERE on either head.

LOL.... I found a few more dirt daubber nests and even a wasp nest up inside this insect nursery.....

Here is a good view of all the years of caked on dirt that covered most of the frame and lowest parts of the drive train.

After pulling the engine and dousing down everything I could see with good ole Purple Power.... I brought in the power washer and spent the next hour blowing away as much CRAP as I could see.... ( and some I couldn't )...
I stuck the nozzle inside every hole I could find and blew mud out of every hole..... It sure was FUN!!
Any way.... now the front from the fire wall forward is a LOT cleaner.....

Now I have things a LOT cleaner so I can move on to getting the transmission out....
I can at least find the bolts now. Before, I would have to know there was a bolt in the general vicinity and just dig for it.....

ONWARD!!!

Mike

Old 03-18-2019, 07:48 AM
73GreenBean
Senior User
Looking good! Sounds like it’s a good thing you’re tearing down that motor! That ol truck probably sighs with relief every time you take another 5 gallon buck of dirt and grease off of her! Keep it up

Old 03-18-2019, 07:50 AM
Meridian_Mike
Cargo Master

LOL... you are right.... I know I am at least lightening the load it has to carry around!

Mike

Old 03-19-2019, 07:03 AM
Meridian_Mike
Cargo Master

Well..... it's not a direct replacement BED for my truck but I am gonna make it work.....

While I was under my truck last weekend..... WITHOUT IT RAINING!!! )... I noticed my bed and all the bed cross members were ROTTEN.... I was afraid to point the power washer at the underside of the bed for fear of blasting pieces off.
Then yesterday, after a quick check with the knowledgeable Ford guys here.... I was able to formulate a plan for a bed replacement. A friend had a beautiful 1981 bed and tail gate sitting out beside his shop. It is a shame it's not a total swap because this bed is nearly perfect.
I went by yesterday and made a deal for it so now, I have that problem off my mind.
(That is the bad thing about OCD...... too much stays on your mind)

Here is a picture or 2 of my future bed project.......

As a bonus..... I got a set of short bed rails so my tool box will fit and a couple of nice pieces to go on my tail gate.....
I HOPE I can get a few slices of sheet metal out of the tail gate I can use to patch mine.

AND while I was there..... I mentioned I needed a power steering gear and Marty said, "Here is what you need...." We walked over to a bare frame with axles and there was a 1978 power steering gear.....
SO there you are.... 2 birds with one stone!

Mike

What a great birthday present from me to me.......

Old 03-19-2019, 11:45 AM
fordguy2100
Cargo Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Do you need some new headlight bucket covers (IDK what their actual name is). Even comes in red LOL. Shoot me a PM if you need a pair.
Also I tried evaporust cz I read this thread... all i can say is IM A BELIEVER. That stuff works amazing.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:40 PM
Meridian_Mike
Cargo Master

Thanks for the offer on those "pieces"....LOL.....
I'm not sure what they are called either.
Heck, I might like a couple of red ones.... PM sent....

Dang... where did you get so many of those?

Mike

Quick Reply: My 1978 F150 fix her up thread