Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1992 5.0 to 1990 351w swap problems

Old 02-24-2019, 11:51 PM
LeRoy63
New User
LeRoy63 is starting off with a positive reputation.
1992 5.0 to 1990 351w swap problems

Recently blew up the 302 in my 1992 bronco and swapped in a 351 from a 1990 f150. Truck runs extremely rich, and has a low surging idle. I am using the computer from a wrecked 1992 f150 with a 351.

Is there a difference in computers from 1990-1992 that could be causing my issues? I haven't done much testing yet and just figured I would make sure I had compatible parts before I dove in. Thanks

Old 02-25-2019, 06:06 PM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
What engine wiring harness did you use? Your truck should have a remote mounted ignition module.. is that the case? The 5.8 would have come from a truck with the module on the distributor so that would create a wiring problem if you didn't change some parts somewhere. The right way around it would be to use the '92 5.0 engine harness on the 5.8 and modify or change the 5.8 distributor to a later one, what did you do?

That PCM should plug in and work if these wiring issues were addressed correctly.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:18 PM
LeRoy63
New User
LeRoy63 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Used the 5.0 harness. Pulled the guts from the 5.8 dist and put them in the 5.0 dist housing, which worked fine. A week or so ago a pulled the vacuum line off the FPR, could smell a slight fuel odor but no raw/wet fuel so I figured it wasn't bad enough to cause much of a problem. Pulled codes today and only had 332 and 311 for the EGR and Air Injection systems, both of which are disabled. After seeing no other codes I decided that the FPR may be the culprit after all, replaced it and truck is running like a top now. Thanks for the reply.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.