Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Installed the solar cab lights today... here's a review

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed the solar cab lights today... here's a review

Old 03-13-2019, 08:27 AM
RCR70ss
Senior User
RCR70ss is starting off with a positive reputation.
If that my biggest inconvenience with the lights i'll take it, Been a couple weeks or so since i did this review and so far they have held a charge and other then me getting them out of sync a couple times im very happy with them, The sync issue is only if you don't hold the button long enough( 2 sec or so) for the full set to come on, one could be out of sync. Because of the three modes, one will be out of order..U have to remove the lens of that one and take it away from the others and re sync it.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:47 AM
zeroo
Elder User
zeroo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Do you have to get out every time you turn them on to make sure ones not flashing and they are all on the same made?

Old 03-13-2019, 08:54 AM
RCR70ss
Senior User
I just turn them on before i get in the truck and most times when i get out just run the through the other two modes to have them Ready next time...I sometimes leave them on if i am only stopping for a few minutes as they seem to last a long time..

Old 03-13-2019, 12:35 PM
rob99
New User
rob99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Phattey View Post
Hey Rob... I had the same issue and Scott sent 5 amber filters which I applied onto the yellow filter on the LEDs.... perfect match now with the rest of the amber oem lighting.

My only wish is that they would make a simple on/off opposed to the 3 settings as all I want is on/off in extended mode. prefer not to have to cycle thru the modes to get to what I want, but otherwise a seriously clever idea that works and looks great.
Yes he is sending me the strips so they color match the oem's better, as for the settings and how you know they're on I'm going to press remote button as I'm stepping in the truck, but I do agree about cycling through but a minor thing compared to a traditional mounted light and all those issues involved with install. And I to am interested in only the extened run setting anyway.
They are real good quality and not permanently altering the truck is a no brainer, I'll post a pic once I get the color issue fixed.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:42 PM
rob99
New User
rob99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by RCR70ss View Post
I just turn them on before i get in the truck and most times when i get out just run the through the other two modes to have them Ready next time...I sometimes leave them on if i am only stopping for a few minutes as they seem to last a long time..
agree good point if only going to be stepping out for a couple minutes.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:58 PM
Larrymac52
Elder User
Larrymac52 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by RCR70ss View Post
RCR
What kind of adhesive is used to attach to the cab. I know it’s early, but does it appear the adhesive would survive in Florida being fried everyday in the Florida heat in addition to the thunderstorms. ( I tend to keep an eye on thunderstorms.)
Also can we be sure that the adhesive will not be detrimental to the paint if they are there long term in the heat?

Old 03-14-2019, 08:06 PM
Cornbred
Junior User
Cornbred is starting off with a positive reputation.
Back in the day you didn’t need a permit for amber/yellow lights.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:58 AM
RCR70ss
Senior User
Not sure that it's possible but since there are two remotes, it would be ideal if one worked as on off in long run mode and the other was set for the three modes, I would just leave that one in the truck for the times i wanted strobe flashers.But again if this is my biggest problem with this system i will live with it...

Old 03-15-2019, 09:53 AM
Wes Hightower
Senior User
Wes Hightower is starting off with a positive reputation.
On the fence and wonder what the policy will be if you buy a $398 set of lights and they come up with a new on/off remote will you have to lay down more for the updated remote.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:09 AM
wicked 2018
Elder User
wicked 2018 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Wes Hightower View Post
On the fence and wonder what the policy will be if you buy a $398 set of lights and they come up with a new on/off remote will you have to lay down more for the updated remote.
Yeah need to see them out in the wild a little longer for longevity and upgrades.

Old 03-18-2019, 03:14 PM
smokewagun
Posting Guru
smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.
I like the option for trucks without cab lights, but looking to add.
Would it be possible to have a receiver that receives the signal from the remote and then sends a signal to the cab lights to turn on? That box could serve two functions: 1) allowing a selector switch to select what mode is desired when clicking the remote, or 2) providing an indicator that says the lights are on when in the cab... you know, when is truck guys want to look cool in the day with running lights on? In fact, that “box” could do away with a remote. Who needs that? Mount a selector switch box with an “on” indicator. Use the fancy 3M tape to mount it wherever.

Old 03-18-2019, 04:09 PM
Phattey
Freshman User
Phattey is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sharing my set up with the COA lights... Amber lenses with LED amber filters. Matches OEM perfectly...

Old 03-30-2019, 05:48 PM
cficare
Posting Guru
cficare has a good reputation on FTE.cficare has a good reputation on FTE.
80°F and dry here today, so I finally had a good day to install mine. Took my time measuring, positioning, measuring again, repositioning until I could lay down some pieces of tape telling me exactly where to stick each one. Like the OP, I trimmed about a quarter inch off both sides of the outboard base plates. And to gain a little more "squish" when applying the double-back tape, I added a second layer of tape. Haven't got them out of sync since mounting them, though I did do that a couple times on the bench ... so I made a trip to Ace Hardware to get an 8mm nut-driver to leave in the truck. BTW, when I did get out of sync, I found I could isolate an LED module from the others by placing it in my 1,000# gun safe. The remote signal didn't affect LED modules in there.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:26 AM
cficare
Posting Guru
cficare has a good reputation on FTE.cficare has a good reputation on FTE.
Here is the obligatory post-install photo. The middle 3 lights are spaced 7" apart, centered on the raised roof stiffeners. The outer 2 are centered in the valleys between stiffener ridges. The photo makes it appear that the starboard light is crooked, but I assure you it is pointing straight ahead.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:35 AM
RCR70ss
Senior User
Looks good, are those the clear lenses? with the filters? can u get a pic of them on ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.