2015 Expidition EL max towing a TT

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 05:35 PM
Sparks123
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I recall correctly the payload on that model Expedition should be somewhere between 1500 and 1750lb which is comparable to many a half ton pickup. A limiting factor on the expedition in my view is its short wheelbase.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:06 AM
RobRoy7768
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All of the ratings are important to know. People don't just haul campers. Trailers vary a lot to. It's good to stay within the weakest link, witch in most cases is payload of a TV. Perfect example is a 250 and a 450 have the same engine but not the same payload or tow rating. Travel conditions will also play a huge role in your experience hauling over weight. Their is also a big difference in an uneventful trip and having to make emergency maneuvers.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:08 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by davidpacificnw
ugh. if you listen to half these people you are going to end up with a trailer you can't safely tow. I believe one poster got it right. weight the vehicle empty. then load the vehicle with family and gear and weight it. subtract the two and then subtract the difference from your payload sticker on your drivers door jamb. Guessing its somewhere in the 1200-1300 pound range. That is what you have to play with. Maybe driver weight is excluded so add that back in.

Let me be clear. THERE IS NO 4X4 EXPEDITION MADE THAT CAN SAFELY TOW A 29 FOOT TT. Do people do it, yep. Is it legal, no. Towing numbers mean nothing. It's the payload number. Towing numbers are only for marketing against other vehicles. Every option reduces payload. Sunroof? payload goes down like 56 pounds. 4x4, payload goes down, Power seats? payload goes down. There is a chart online you can find that tells you the weight of every option and how it impacts payload. If you have a loaded 4x$ expy. you should find yourself a 22' or 23' TT. That's about it.

mark me down as a another “strongly disagree” vote

2006 expedition, standard length pulling a 31 foot box (35 ft total)

totally safe, pulls well, and under payload. Because I have a rather basic XLT, I have almost 1700 lbs of payload capacity, so plenty of headroom for tongue weight on 6800 lbs trailer. (Even with mine being tongue heavy).

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...he-scales.html

can be done, and can be done safely. You just have to be somewhat fastidious with setting it up.

I have since lowered the hitch head one hole to level it out. The trailer now sits 1/4-1/2 inch lower in the front than the rear, rather than the 1.5” high in the picture front that you see in the picture. The rest of the settings stay the same.

Not to sound combative, but if you listen to some people on here, you need a 3/4 ton truck to haul anything more than a pop-up.
I will say, though, my little expedition pulls the CRAP out of my in-laws pop -up. Only drops out of overdrive on the biggest hills.

Old 03-16-2019, 12:52 PM
meborder
Another point of discussion is the completely arbitrary way in which Payload and GVW is manipulated to achieve a specific target

for those interested in reading my thoughs on the topic:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16420897

Old 03-16-2019, 08:14 PM
RobRoy7768
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by meborder

totally safe, pulls well, and under payload. Because I have a rather basic XLT, I have almost 1700 lbs of payload capacity, so plenty of headroom for tongue weight on 6800 lbs trailer. (Even with mine being tongue heavy).

can be done, and can be done safely. You just have to be somewhat fastidious with setting it up.

I have since lowered the hitch head one hole to level it out. The trailer now sits 1/4-1/2 inch lower in the front than the rear, rather than the 1.5” high in the picture front that you see in the picture. The rest of the settings stay the same.

Not to sound combative, but if you listen to some people on here, you need a 3/4 ton truck to haul anything more than a pop-up.
I will say, though, my little expedition pulls the CRAP out of my in-laws pop -up. Only drops out of overdrive on the biggest hills.

The OP was asking how big of trailer he should get. I originally recommended not going over a 7500lb gross unit. You are under that weight as well as having a little more payload. I know you didn't quote me directly but just sayin. People are gonna overload 3/4 and 1 tons as well.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:10 AM
meborder
Originally Posted by RobRoy7768
The OP was asking how big of trailer he should get. I originally recommended not going over a 7500lb gross unit. You are under that weight as well as having a little more payload. I know you didn't quote me directly but just sayin. People are gonna overload 3/4 and 1 tons as well.
im not taking issue with that part of your advice, 7500 is a good practical upper limit to stick around for any half ton platform. There are a few configurations that I might go higher on, but for the most part 7500 is a good target.

Im taking issue with this

Let me be clear. THERE IS NO 4X4 EXPEDITION MADE THAT CAN SAFELY TOW A 29 FOOT TT.
and I’m here to tell you that I disagree.

29ish foot and longer will require a better hitch, but it can be done safely.

When I was shopping I looked at the wheels. 5 bolts and I would consider looking st it, 6 bolts and I wouldn’t even consider looking. Pretty simple way to weed out the ones that I knew were going to be too heavy. The one I found was longer than I wanted, but with the spread axles, good hitch, and tight setup,, it has been fine with no regrets.

so, yes, a 4x4 expedition can safely tow a 29 ft camper. It just has to be set up right.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:06 PM
jdsgtball
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great advice all!!!! Thank you very much for all of the feed back. I will definitely take heed and study up some more.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:32 AM
Stevereeves
Junior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Pulled a 30' 6000lb camper with a 2001 Expedition 4wd and the short wheelbase is the concern I had and experienced. Safe? Not in my book. Everyone is "safe" and thinks they can handle anything until they experience an unexpected incident where they aren't able to recover. The numbers may be supportive but the margins get small quickly. For me and for my family, I opt for better margins and pull my 35' 8650lb wet camper with my 250 2wd Diesel Super Duty. Everyone has to live within their own risk awareness.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:05 PM
Beachums
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15767586

This might give you more insight as I had the same tow rig for 2 years.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:22 PM
meborder
Looks like you had 340 lbs of extra cargo capacity on the truck before going over GVWR.

Not bad, IMO, especially if that already included the weight of you and your wife. 340lbs for kids is a healthy cushion so long as you put all the “stuff” in the trailer (which I do - truck is empty except for people when hauling the camper).

Good to see the weights.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:37 PM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
Received 150 Likes on 86 Posts

Sure it is Mike, But really, it is not "totally safe", What's totally safe is pulling it with a truck designed for towing. Let's not exaggerate. You may say "within specs" which I still do not believe, but "totally safe", no no no no no. Can you drive a nail with a crowbar? Sure you can. Is it better and safer to do it with a hammer? I think it is, don't you.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:24 PM
meborder
Originally Posted by davidpacificnw
Sure it is Mike, But really, it is not "totally safe", What's totally safe is pulling it with a truck designed for towing. Let's not exaggerate. You may say "within specs" which I still do not believe, but "totally safe", no no no no no. Can you drive a nail with a crowbar? Sure you can. Is it better and safer to do it with a hammer? I think it is, don't you.
nothing about pulling a 30ft camper is totally safe, regardless of what is pulling it. Any time you pull something that large, you are taking a risk.

Im not sure why you are thinking an expedition isn’t designed for towing. It comes with a hitch, the appropriate wiring, a trans cooler, 9.75” rear end, and a towing recommendation from the factory. Clearly towing is part of the design. Being a half ton, it is not designed around towing as its primary duty, but even your 250/350 are designed with compromises in mind. To be quite honest about it , the only vehicles “designed for towing” are your class 13 trucks, everything else is a compromise.

Also not sure why you are saying you don’t believe that I’m “within specs”. Did you look at my scale weights? I’m under GAWR and GVWR, and under my tow rating. What is out of spec? Tires, wheels and hitch are all rated for more than I’m hauling. What is out of line?

i get what you are saying with the tool analogy, but we really are just arguing about the size of hammer. I’m good with a 16oz hammer, where maybe others want a 24oz hammer. But if we are going down that road, why not use a 5lb hammer? Why not a 20lb sledge? I’m good with the 16oz hammer because I have to carry it all day long. Why carry a 20lb sledge when a 16 oz gets it done for the few times a year you need it? But saying I’m using the wrong tool for the job is just off base IMO. Expeditions are 1/2 ton trucks, and can be used as such.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:54 PM
H4Racing
Mountain Pass
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
nothing about pulling a 30ft camper is totally safe, regardless of what is pulling it. Any time you pull something that large, you are taking a risk.

Im not sure why you are thinking an expedition isn’t designed for towing. It comes with a hitch, the appropriate wiring, a trans cooler, 9.75” rear end, and a towing recommendation from the factory. Clearly towing is part of the design. Being a half ton, it is not designed around towing as its primary duty, but even your 250/350 are designed with compromises in mind. To be quite honest about it , the only vehicles “designed for towing” are your class 13 trucks, everything else is a compromise.

Also not sure why you are saying you don’t believe that I’m “within specs”. Did you look at my scale weights? I’m under GAWR and GVWR, and under my tow rating. What is out of spec? Tires, wheels and hitch are all rated for more than I’m hauling. What is out of line?

i get what you are saying with the tool analogy, but we really are just arguing about the size of hammer. I’m good with a 16oz hammer, where maybe others want a 24oz hammer. But if we are going down that road, why not use a 5lb hammer? Why not a 20lb sledge? I’m good with the 16oz hammer because I have to carry it all day long. Why carry a 20lb sledge when a 16 oz gets it done for the few times a year you need it? But saying I’m using the wrong tool for the job is just off base IMO. Expeditions are 1/2 ton trucks, and can be used as such.
Arguing with the Weight Police is akin to teaching a pig to sing......it doesn't matter what information, experience, or data is provided, you won't change their mind.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:45 PM
Theboneskes
Laughing Gas
Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by H4Racing
Arguing with the Weight Police is akin to teaching a pig to sing......it doesn't matter what information, experience, or data is provided, you won't change their mind.
I would agree, however if he gets a trailer with a 8000 to 8500lb GVWR, the weight police can't do anything! They are rated to tow 9200.

I tow a 7600 GVWR trailer with my 2003 expedition, the old 5.4 2 valve 4 speed trans, with 3.73 gears. But, I never tow above 62MPH, always use my Equalizer E4 hitch, and my prodigy controller. A 2015 expedition towing the same trailer would be a piece of cake!

Old 04-04-2019, 09:49 AM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
Received 150 Likes on 86 Posts

Where's a pic of your payload sticker. It's not that I don't believe you, it just that I don't think you're right. My guess is you're suffering from positive results bias as evidenced by suggesting the manufacturer's towing recommendations somehow mean something.

Quick Reply: 2015 Expidition EL max towing a TT