2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

SCT Tuner from traded truck- paperweight?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 07:57 AM
Tampa250
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SCT Tuner from traded truck- paperweight?

About a month ago I traded my F-250 in on a brand new F-150 and while going through some things in the garage stumbled upon my SCT Tuner that was used on the 250. I know these are married to the vehicle and when I traded the truck I didn’t even think about the tune, so the truck is out there somewhere with a custom tune from Gearhead Performance and I have this SCT that is married to that truck. When I traded the truck they told me it was going to a wholesaler out of the area.

Is this SCT tuner now a paperweight or is there any value to it? I hate to just throw it away but don’t want to throw any money at it getting it unlocked unless I could still come out ahead by selling it. Lastly, I know there are some nice gains to be had by tuning these 3.5L EB motors but I am not so sure I am going to do any of that with this truck.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:04 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Tampa250
About a month ago I traded my F-250 in on a brand new F-150 and while going through some things in the garage stumbled upon my SCT Tuner that was used on the 250. I know these are married to the vehicle and when I traded the truck I didn’t even think about the tune, so the truck is out there somewhere with a custom tune from Gearhead Performance and I have this SCT that is married to that truck. When I traded the truck they told me it was going to a wholesaler out of the area.

Is this SCT tuner now a paperweight or is there any value to it? I hate to just throw it away but don’t want to throw any money at it getting it unlocked unless I could still come out ahead by selling it. Lastly, I know there are some nice gains to be had by tuning these 3.5L EB motors but I am not so sure I am going to do any of that with this truck.
An SCT rep can unlock it, but it’s not cheap as I recall. Still less than a new tuner. Ask Gearheadcwhen you tune you new F150.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:15 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts

LOL.......I know your pain.

I also have a SCT Tuner that I used for one of my Mustangs that I no longer have and yes, it was tied to that vehicle.

They can be unlocked and erased but they charge crazy money to do it even though it would only take them a few minutes and a few key strokes.

Instead of going through all of that, I just used it to pull diagnostic codes which can be done regardless if it`s tied to only one vehicle.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:42 AM
scott91370
Fleet Mechanic
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
I'm sure they charge the crazy amount to keep the number of stolen units trying to be resold lower. I mean who is going to take the chance at buying a stolen unit and then paying almost as much to have it unlocked as a new unit would cost.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:24 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by scott91370
I'm sure they charge the crazy amount to keep the number of stolen units trying to be resold lower. I mean who is going to take the chance at buying a stolen unit and then paying almost as much to have it unlocked as a new unit would cost.
Nope.....pure money grab by SCT........nothing more, nothing less.
It`s not like thery`re selling hundreds of thousands of these things because they average close to $400.00 dollars each with three tunes. I paid $375.00 for mine and this was several years ago.

The key phrase is reselling it lower which is what SCT doesn`t want.

Simple......just charge a flat fee of $150.00 dollars to reprogram it for another owner

Old 02-22-2019, 12:34 PM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Speaking of tuners. I have a tune on my XLT. Is it worthwhile and/or necessary to put it back to stock just to have the truck serviced for routine maintenance? I use a Quick Lane which is attached to a dealer.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:47 PM
CathedralCub
Lead Driver
Received 749 Likes on 683 Posts
Originally Posted by CR172
Speaking of tuners. I have a tune on my XLT. Is it worthwhile and/or necessary to put it back to stock just to have the truck serviced for routine maintenance? I use a Quick Lane which is attached to a dealer.
I wouldn't do it just for service . . . unless this tune gives is 2,000HP or something.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:53 PM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by CathedralCub
I wouldn't do it just for service . . . unless this tune gives is 2,000HP or something.
Nope. Only 1999.9 HP

Old 02-22-2019, 04:17 PM
Tampa250
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smokewagun

An SCT rep can unlock it, but it’s not cheap as I recall. Still less than a new tuner. Ask Gearheadcwhen you tune you new F150.
That’s the issue- I’m not so sure I am going to tune this truck. I’m not sure what has gotten into me, someone who has never owned a vehicle that wasn’t customized to some extent, but for some reason at least for the time being I really have no interest in modifying this new truck. Getting old perhaps or more likely just coming off of a highly-modded F-250 with 38” tires is making this sweet-riding and comfortable new truck just a little too enjoyable.

Old 02-22-2019, 04:26 PM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
That’s the issue- I’m not so sure I am going to tune this truck. I’m not sure what has gotten into me, someone who has never owned a vehicle that wasn’t customized to some extent, but for some reason at least for the time being I really have no interest in modifying this new truck. Getting old perhaps or more likely just coming off of a highly-modded F-250 with 38” tires is making this sweet-riding and comfortable new truck just a little too enjoyable.
LOL. I'm just the opposite. 63yo and all my trucks were bone stock except for a tonneau. Now I have this one that I did a leveling kit, tune, swapped out rims and tires and added the OEM tailgate dampener. I doubt I'll do anything with the exhaust as I like my 'cage' rides nice and quiet. May add the Kicker sub if I can find a great deal on one.