Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission done for? Won’t go into drive.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 08:34 PM
OBSTommy17
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission done for? Won’t go into drive.

So for the best 6 months my transmission has given me some trouble where it wouldn’t up shift until I left of throttle ,but I never knew why and learned to drive with it. About a month ago the transmission started not going into drive in the morning when it was cold until I have a bit of throttle, it has continuously done this some days worse then others but it always went forwards after a lil throttle. Now about a weak ago the truck started shuddering really bad when taking off from a stop until about 5 mph then drove normally and when I was at a stop and left of pedal it wouldn’t roll forwards like it usually would. I have kept the fluid up to full and added Lucas transmission treatment pretty often. The fluid on the dipstick is a little dark and does smell a lil bit burnt but not bad.In a stroke of hope I was thinking my rear drums brakes were hanging causing the shuddering and lack of movement so I pulled them apart and they were sticking a little bit so I readjusted and took it for a drive and it didn’t shudder or stay still when not on pedal.it was okay for about 5 miles then back to shuddering and being sluggish. Then today I was on my way home and around the last corner to my house my truck stopped accelerating and was coasting, I stopped and couldn’t get the truck to drive forward again,but would go in reverse, I pulled it around with my brothers truck and backed it into drive way and pulled off the drums again. Now here’s the part that makes me think the transmission might not be done, when the rear axle is on jackstands and the tires are off the ground they turn in drive but then as soon as they are on the ground they do not. So is it something to do with brakes?are my forward clutches shot l, maybe my torque converter is acting up? I’m not sure. Really appreciate any help and thanks in advance( 1989 F350 7.3 idi E4oD 2wd Crew cab long bed dually 102,000 miles)

Old 02-21-2019, 10:28 PM
Robert Long
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Changing fluid at this point is not a bad idea,check for debri. If there are chunks of clutch in there you can count on a trans rebuild.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:32 AM
Briansshop
Fleet Mechanic
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts
Did you try M1,M2 gears? Doesn't sound good either way. The wheels turn on jack stands because theres no load. Guessing forward clutch is done.

Mark will chime in and let ya know

Old 02-22-2019, 07:25 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
It would be in high gear in D without power.That could explain why the wheels spin freely under no load.If you do have high gear in D,you should be able to tell by giving it enough fuel.You'll have 2nd gear in both manual shifted 1 and 2 positions.The OD cancel switch glows dim when this is the case in the 9th gen trucks but I dunno about the 8th gens like yours.

Just in case you figure out all you've got going on, is a loss of power to your trans,here's the relay locations;

Old 02-22-2019, 10:59 AM
OBSTommy17
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Robert Long
Changing fluid at this point is not a bad idea,check for debri. If there are chunks of clutch in there you can count on a trans rebuild.
Originally Posted by Briansshop
Did you try M1,M2 gears? Doesn't sound good either way. The wheels turn on jack stands because theres no load. Guessing forward clutch is done.

Mark will chime in and let ya know
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
It would be in high gear in D without power.That could explain why the wheels spin freely under no load.If you do have high gear in D,you should be able to tell by giving it enough fuel.You'll have 2nd gear in both manual shifted 1 and 2 positions.The OD cancel switch glows dim when this is the case in the 9th gen trucks but I dunno about the 8th gens like yours.

Just in case you figure out all you've got going on, is a loss of power to your trans,here's the relay locations;

I have tried putting the shifter through all gears 1st 2nd drive reverse, and reverse is the only one that responds, I guess I can drop the tranny pan this weekend and see what the carnage is, I’m hoping that I don’t need a full overhaul because I barely afford to put fuel in this damn truck...might change its name to bandit because it steals all my money and time lol. Thanks for the comment much appreciated

Old 02-22-2019, 11:02 AM
Odisvan
Elder User
I swapped a turbo 350 out once that would only operate in reverse, front pump was gone.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:07 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
The trans is probably done for if you've got no forward gears at all in a 2wd truck.If you have reverse that means you have plenty of trans fluid in there.Not good news I'm afraid.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:15 PM
OBSTommy17
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Odisvan
I swapped a turbo 350 out once that would only operate in reverse, front pump was gone.
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
The trans is probably done for if you've got no forward gears at all in a 2wd truck.If you have reverse that means you have plenty of trans fluid in there.Not good news I'm afraid.
alright so basically I either need a new transmission or a rebuild? What’s the better route/ cheaper

Old 02-22-2019, 12:56 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by OBSTommy17
I have kept the fluid up to full and added Lucas transmission treatment pretty often.
How much Lucas did you add? And why would you add this?

Old 02-22-2019, 03:39 PM
Odisvan
Elder User
Cheapest would likely be a used pig in the poke off craigslist or salvage yard. If you can r&r yourself that’s an option as well as a bench build. That’s cheaper, a carry in and out, but they won’t normally warranty their rebuild because you can trash it jamming a front pump with torque converter (if it’s like older ford autos). I wouldn’t imagine many shops would want to do that but I don’t know. Because then everyone who screwed up their own install would trash talk them and their reputation could suffer. But I had a c6 and c4 both done that way years ago.
ive had friends who’s had bad luck with some common chain name rebuilds, so I can’t comment there.
i don’t know what a used one would run but you could surely get it in within 2 day weekend, especially if you have trans jack. If not, you can struggle wth floor jack but it’d be good if you have a buddy. You can always get close but not quite there and have to muscle it the last short ways.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:24 PM
OBSTommy17
Freshman User
Cheapest would likely be a used pig in the poke off craigslist or salvage yard. If you can r&r yourself that’s an option as well as a bench build. That’s cheaper, a carry in and out, but they won’t normally warranty their rebuild because you can trash it jamming a front pump with torque converter (if it’s like older ford autos). I wouldn’t imagine many shops would want to do that but I don’t know. Because then everyone who screwed up their own install would trash talk them and their reputation could suffer. But I had a c6 and c4 both done that way years ago.
ive had friends who’s had bad luck with some common chain name rebuilds, so I can’t comment there.
i don’t know what a used one would run but you could surely get it in within 2 day weekend, especially if you have trans jack. If not, you can struggle wth floor jack but it’d be good if you have a buddy. You can always get close but not quite there and have to muscle it the last short ways.
ya I have a trans jack and a variety of tools, I have a couple people to give me guidance also, I’m going to flush the transmission and tighten the bands to see if that helps me out.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:37 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,358 Likes on 1,073 Posts
......because you can trash it jamming a front pump with torque converter (if it’s like older ford autos).
or any automatic transmission?

Old 02-22-2019, 07:21 PM
Briansshop
Fleet Mechanic
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

ya I have a trans jack and a variety of tools, I have a couple people to give me guidance also, I’m going to flush the transmission and tighten the bands to see if that helps me out.
No bands to adj on the E4OD.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:09 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
tighten the bands to see if that helps me out.
Cool! How are you going to do that?

Old 02-23-2019, 11:25 PM
OBSTommy17
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Cool! How are you going to do that?
Originally Posted by Briansshop
No bands to adj on the E4OD.
Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks

or any automatic transmission?
okay so upon investigation I discovered I in fact do not have a E40d despite what my vin tells me... I have a C6 with a gear venders over drive behind it,whether this was swapped in at some point or the vin was wrong (highly doubt it) I do not have the tranny I thought. I did a flush and cleaned everything up not anything out of ordinary a lil bit of shavings but no chuncks.after flushing the truck did the same thing, but after thinking a lil bit I removed the line going into the vacuum modulator and got in the truck....and it shifted into drive,but still to get it to move I had to push down about halfway on throttle.so this is definitely a vacuum issue now,right? Any ideas were to check for leaks,advice thank you

Quick Reply: Transmission done for? Won’t go into drive.