Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Reload this Page >

Carli 4.5" lift kit vs Full Traction Coilover kit

Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carli 4.5" lift kit vs Full Traction Coilover kit

Old 03-14-2019, 03:25 PM
Ghostmoney87
New User
Ghostmoney87 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by blampright View Post
Iím seriously considering the Carli system for my 05 X primarily because I tow a 13k lb toy hauler and I must have air bags for that. Kelderman was also a consideration but cost is too high and the carli system would perform better off road. Did you install your carli system yourself? How was it? Anything I should know about the install that was difficult or any fab? Thanks!
Yes, I installed the Carli kit myself with basic hand tools. The install was pretty simple as it's just unbolting and bolting on the new stuff. You do need to weld the rear upper shock mounts, but that is not difficult and the brackets from carli have plates on the back of them to align everything perfectly so you cant really mess it up. I would recommend removing the fuel tank as there are only 4 bolts that hold it in place and opens it up to make welding the brackets in easier and also allows you to get the shocks on easier. The hardest part for me was installing the springs as they have much more arch than the stock springs and weigh a lot more. I ended up having to use a ratchet strap to compress the springs to get them to line up. I also had to use the ratchet strap to compress the shocks in order to get them to line up, on the front I had to grind them slightly to get them to fit into the lower mounting tab.
I don't have the airbags on yet as I am waiting for them to be delivered so don't have any opinion on them yet.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:28 PM
Ghostmoney87
New User
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo View Post
also, while air springs are ideal for towing just about any load I would not go as far as saying it is a ďmustĒ Iíve towed my 14k towhauler many miles without bags with a suspension that is longer travel then the Carli.
Pirate do you have a build thread anywhere or detailed pictures of your setup?

Old 03-14-2019, 10:29 PM
blampright
New User
blampright is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks so much for the reply! Same as above if you have a build page let us know.
Can you tell us more about the performance of the carli? Is it worth it? Is the rear end bouncing off the overload springs on even small bumps gone? I would expect a nice progressive action through the entire range of motion rather than the harsh hit off the overload spring I get today which off road induces some bad wheel hop....pretty much cannot stand to drive it off road in its current configuration with a generic 5” block lift in the rear on OEM springs. My shocks I’m convinced are trash which doesn’t help...some white generic thing with no label 1st owner installed. Haha

I have to disagree about airbags not being required with SOFT off road springs with a 13k trailer. My stock springs have overload springs and for a while I ran sumo springs and it squated down into the sumo’s meaning I had almost no suspension travel when pulling. My lights were angled up at the wrong angle making for unsafe night driving. I now have airlift bags and it’s much much improved fixing those issues. But the drawback is if I ever go off road I’ll tear those bags in half. Sure you can pull anything without bags, but with a family of six along for the ride safety is #1 above all else so for me I consider bags a requirement with my needs and that’s why Carli is my top consideration.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:56 PM
Ghostmoney87
New User
Originally Posted by blampright View Post
Thanks so much for the reply! Same as above if you have a build page let us know.
Can you tell us more about the performance of the carli? Is it worth it? Is the rear end bouncing off the overload springs on even small bumps gone? I would expect a nice progressive action through the entire range of motion rather than the harsh hit off the overload spring I get today which off road induces some bad wheel hop....pretty much cannot stand to drive it off road in its current configuration with a generic 5Ē block lift in the rear on OEM springs. My shocks Iím convinced are trash which doesnít help...some white generic thing with no label 1st owner installed. Haha

I have to disagree about airbags not being required with SOFT off road springs with a 13k trailer. My stock springs have overload springs and for a while I ran sumo springs and it squated down into the sumoís meaning I had almost no suspension travel when pulling. My lights were angled up at the wrong angle making for unsafe night driving. I now have airlift bags and itís much much improved fixing those issues. But the drawback is if I ever go off road Iíll tear those bags in half. Sure you can pull anything without bags, but with a family of six along for the ride safety is #1 above all else so for me I consider bags a requirement with my needs and thatís why Carli is my top consideration.

The rear springs do not have an overload spring in the Carli kit. In town I feel the ride is firmer than stock but more controlled feeling. On the highway there was a certain spot that I would always hit the front and rear bump stops because of a dip in the road and would always prepare myself for the hard hit, now I don't even notice it. I am the happiest with the suspension when I am on gravel roads with large potholes or rutted out whereas before I would have to slam on my brakes to crawl through them and now I don't even slow down. Before I felt like I was always concerned with looking for any bumps or potholes that would cause the suspension to bottom out that I just didn't enjoy driving it off the pavement at all. The first time I took the excursion camping with my wife 30 minutes on a gravel road she said I needed to put a new suspension on this rig before we take it again.
Highway driving is also nicer because I am not swaying all over the road and constantly having to adjust the steering wheel. Even though the center of gravity is higher I feel it is more stable especially when cornering compared to stock.
So overall I am very happy with how the carli kit rides, but I was also expecting it to be a little better for the amount of money as I had a 4runner with an Icon stage 5 kit that was less than half the price and rode quite a bit better so I was a little spoiled by it. The excursion is a lot larger vehicle though.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:19 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
Sorry no build thread but in a nut shell the rear is deaver custom springs no block about 4” over stock height and custom tuned 2” fox shock 12” travel.

the front is a custom built 4 link with 2.5 10” travel coilover shocks also custom tuned, I also added air bump stops. Front and rear is level.

trailer weight/ bags
trailer weight isn’t the issue, tounge weight is, keep the tounge weight around 1000 lbs and bags are not required as it only squats about 1.2 inches. How much 1.2” squat effects your towing is going to depend on the overall setup. Obviously you need enough tounge weight for your trailer design but trailer weight itself isn’t the issue and trailer setup is a whole diffrent conversation. For my 9000 trailer no bags no weight bars it’s perfect, on my 14k trailer no bags but I use a weight distribution torsion bar and it’s perfect... all in the setup.

overload,
the problem isn’t that you are bouncing off the overload spring it is that your shocks are not valved correctly for your setup.
howevervalving a shock to work well with a primary and secondary spring rate is difficult or at least expensive as a bypass shock is the ticket here and they run about $1000 each.

ghostmoney... sweet setup, your description is almost spot on how I would describe mine. A Ex will never ride like a lighter truck simply because you are moving more mass. A heavy mass doesn’t change directions as quickly as a lighter mass. Simple explanation is a lighter suspension can react quicker and quicker is better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.