Educate me on the CTS2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Educate me on the CTS2

Old 02-20-2019, 09:01 PM
bigt8600
Senior User
bigt8600 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Educate me on the CTS2

My main reason for wanting one of these is to be able to monitor the regens and do a manual regen. I had a 2 hour drive yesterday that would have been great timing for a regen but instead I'm pretty sure the truck ran a regen on my 30 min drive to work yesterday. Guy at the shop I use says this unit comes with tunes...is that true? I don't really even care to have tuning and don't want to mess with my warranty. I'd just like to be able to monitor more items and the regen functions I mentioned. With that said, am I good to order one of these and plug it and go? Is there more to it than that? I have amp steps so I assume ordering an OBD2 splitter is required. Do all these monitors come with stock tunes that I could use in the future if I want?

Sorry for the dumb questions. New to the diesel lifestyle.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:16 PM
Painted Horse
Postmaster
Painted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant future
The Edge Evolution comes with Tunes.
The Edge Insight CTS2 is just a monitor.

So it depends on which one you have.

I have the insight. I don't care about extra HP. I've used Edge Insights since my 2006 6.0L truck.
I like to be able to pull the codes and if needed clear the codes.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:04 PM
Lariatdriver
Senior User
Lariatdriver is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the insight, it’s two months old. It reads the exhaust sensor in the manifold and provides accurate EGTs without installing a probe. It monitors miles between regens and many other function.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:56 PM
KCRebel
Senior User
KCRebel is starting off with a positive reputation.
A good wireless obd2 scanner and forscan lite will give you access to way more data points than the Edge for about $400 less. Just a thought.

I've got an Insight CTS2 and was less than impressed with it's performance in my 18 SD. I've used it for years in my old Duramax without issue. Always updated. It was flawless when i removed it from the Duramax but has been incredibly buggy with the new truck. No real explanation as to why. It's super slow on the new truck. I've had several discussions with Edge tech support to no avail.
If I didn't already own the Insight and this was my first experience I would have returned it. Certainly would never give them any more of my money.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:49 AM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Blwnsmoke is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Blwnsmoke is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Forscam + 8" tablet = 25% of the cost.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:53 AM
Lariatdriver
Senior User
Lariatdriver is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Blwnsmoke View Post
I tried every FORScan combo on the net and found nothing worked to for EGTs. So far the Insight has been really good.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:15 AM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Blwnsmoke is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Blwnsmoke is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Lariatdriver View Post

I tried every FORScan combo on the net and found nothing worked to for EGTs. So far the Insight has been really good.
then you are doing it wrong. You can monitor all 4.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:10 AM
CBEllis
Senior User
CBEllis is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the Insight, no tuning programs for me - donít need anything extra in the HP/Torque dept.

Iíve been really impressed with the startup speed and accuracy. It monitors everything I want to see and itís in a nice little package. I have gotten the forscan bug yet - I donít want to program codes and change things on the truck (yet). So this stand alone unit was perfect for me. I mounted mine on the a-pillar at the top of the windshield so itís in a perfect line of sight without taking my eyes off the road but, not an obstruction.

I think itís glitchy for some folks because they donít keep the software updated. I just updated mine last week and she monitors and transitions between screens smooth as glass. You can also set alarms and maintenance parameters. I would buy it again.

You may run into a ďdelayĒ if you split the OBD port. I had a splitter on my F150 and the real time data was slow enough that I ditched the splitter - just a watch-out on that one.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:58 AM
bigt8600
Senior User
Originally Posted by Blwnsmoke View Post
I have a wireless scanner and tablet. One feature I wanted was manual regens. Is the only way to get that with the CTS2. Not sure itís worth the cost if thatís the only thing Iím missing.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:24 AM
fleming23
Senior User
fleming23 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by bigt8600 View Post

I have a wireless scanner and tablet. One feature I wanted was manual regens. Is the only way to get that with the CTS2. Not sure itís worth the cost if thatís the only thing Iím missing.
I have a CTS2, and it is my understanding (although I've never actually done it 100%) that the manual regens are done with the truck stationary. I know there is not a feature on mine that allows you to regen while just driving down the road.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:29 AM
CBEllis
Senior User
CBEllis is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by fleming23 View Post
I have a CTS2, and it is my understanding (although I've never actually done it 100%) that the manual regens are done with the truck stationary. I know there is not a feature on mine that allows you to regen while just driving down the road.
This is true and I think a stationary regen is hard on the system too - a last resort to clean the dpf.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:57 AM
KCRebel
Senior User
KCRebel is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by CBEllis View Post

I think itís glitchy for some folks because they donít keep the software updated. I just updated mine last week and she monitors and transitions between screens smooth as glass. You can also set alarms and maintenance parameters. I would buy it again.
Fully updated to newest software. Tech support remotely accessed the unit via their Fusion software program and had no answers as to why the unit operates so slowly, lags terribly to user input and often won't even come on at startup without touching the screen then its about 50/50 on whether or not it will stay on. Average takes 3-4 attempts to restart after screen shuts down. Of course it's out of warranty and Edge has "exhausted all of their recovery efforts".
I can't state strongly enough that its a $450 risk not worth taking when Forscan has way more PID's you can monitor at same time with no limits unlike the CTS2.
Forscan was super easy to setup and the best part is I don't have a device hanging off the dash, windshield or a pillar for prying eyes to see.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:12 PM
RONMCHUGH
Senior User
RONMCHUGH is starting off with a positive reputation.
I like my CTS2 , it was a refurb unit and it has worked without a flaw since setting it up . I mounted mine in a Bullydog A pillar mount .

Old 02-21-2019, 09:39 PM
bigt8600
Senior User
Originally Posted by fleming23 View Post

Didn't realize that. Thanks for the info.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:59 PM
rjbrittain11
Junior User
rjbrittain11 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by RONMCHUGH View Post
I like my CTS2 , it was a refurb unit and it has worked without a flaw since setting it up . I mounted mine in a Bullydog A pillar mount .

Bulldogs Pillar mount fits your 2017? Their website only shows 2011-16. Iíve been looking for a pillar mount for my 2019 but no luck. Can you give some details on your setup if you donít mind?

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.