Notices
2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Small backfires through the intake and a misfire at #1.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:02 PM
Ilaney
New User
Ilaney is starting off with a positive reputation.
Small backfires through the intake and a misfire at #1.

2007 5.4 3v Expedition. Miss at #1and a small backfire in the pleneum. The backfire sounds like a "pop" and its very intermitten. (Its not exhaust) I have replaced the plugs, cops, both cam sensors, compression test around 180 in all holes/no leakdowns and switched the injectors around with no help. I read somewhere that (somehow) a MAF sensor could cause a small intake backfire if diety of bad?? Anyone had a problem like this? Oh, and I was having throttle body issues during the couple weeks before this happened. It would just die back to an idle at 1000 rpm while driving. I would just turn the key off and restart it and pull it back in gear and keep going. It happened one day and when I restarted it, it started the miss. O did put the throttle sensor off my 05 mustang GT on it and I think it fixed that part. Any help is appreciated. I have the right valve cover off ot now and the cam, springs, followers appear to be okay.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:42 AM
CathedralCub
Elder User
CathedralCub is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ummm . . . so which part got fixed?

2007 with how many miles on it?

Any codes stored in the computer?

Condition of catalytic converters?

Old 02-21-2019, 03:34 PM
Ilaney
New User
Sorry, it's an 07 5.4 with roughly 220k. The first problem I was having, my wife had told me that it would intermittenly die out. I hadnt driven yet so we traded keys and for about 3 days I drove it. About 5 minutes into my first trip, the car just suddenly lost power and went back to an idle. Upon spending a little time in it, it would either on start up or driving would "go limp". I was on my way home from work and suddenly did it so I routinely put it into "N" and restarted it, pulled it back in "D" like I had 4-5 times and when it started back, it had a miss. Drove home and checked for codes. Had a p0230 fuel pump voltage, p0351, a TP code that I didnt write down and p1000. I Pulled the plugs, and changed them and the COPs along with a couple New cam sensors that I already had. Cleared the codes and re-started. Still had miss, and now I have a small backfire coming from the intake. I let it run a couple minutes in and out of gear then shut it down and pulled the codes again. P0351 is all I had so I switched the #1 with #5 and tried again and same code. So, I checked compression and it was good. Put the plugs back in different holes again and just for my own sanity, I pulled the right valve cover and everything "looks" okay. I was planning to drop the Cops back in and start it without the v-cover to watch and listen for a second. I broke out the volt meter and test light but havent got to do anything else yet. Any advise would be appreciated.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:37 PM
Ilaney
New User
oappreciated.oh, the cats..... Ive never had Any trouble with them. No smell, no lack of power or spark knock that I can tell. I had someone ask if the backfire noise could be from the torque converter or exhaust but, no its a backfire through the intake.

Old 02-21-2019, 04:44 PM
CathedralCub
Elder User
The stalling is interesting. Have you checked the IAC valve and connector?

Old 02-22-2019, 07:45 AM
Ilaney
New User
No, I haven't but I'm willing to follow any leads.lol.... I'll try to look into it after work. Thanks. Ill let you know what I find.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:04 PM
CathedralCub
Elder User
Looking forward to it.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:49 AM
Ilaney
New User
Update......

Removed both v-covers and at first glance, saw a piece of plastic chain guide laying in the head up near the phaser. Its had Ford phases installed a few thousand miles ago bit not the entire timing kit. I already have my 4.6 3v Mustang. Engine apart building it for a turbo so I've started pulling the front off the Expy to replace the timing stuff. Ordered the 340HV Melling oil pump and plan to check out the followers, lash adjusters and cam caps. Have never had any valve train noise but I bought a full set of 30,000 mile "Ford" rockers and lifters extra from Brenspeed (just to have since I own 2 of these 3v's), if needed. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:06 PM
CathedralCub
Elder User
Cool, thanks for the update!

Old 04-20-2019, 10:58 AM
Ilaney
New User
Just another update.

I only have a very limited amount of time to work on it so its been slow going but i used all Ford stuff. All the timing is done and the front cover went back on yesterday. Im gonna peck on it today and hope to finish by first of the week. I also own an 05 GT Mustang with a 3v 4.6 with the big cams from Comp and some other bolt on's. YouTube's FORDTECHMAKULOCO is a God send for 3 valve owners. I went back with the M340HV oil pump from Melling and everything else Ford. New Full synthetic 5w30 and Wix filters every 3000 and she should be okay for a while. I'll let you know when it runs but for all you that have that stalling out, back to an idle then it starts right back up. Your guides are breaking and giving the chains just enough slack to make it jump time for a second and go into limp mode. Cut it off and start back, It'll start right back and go like normal but trust me. YOU NEED A TIMING JOB ASAP. Use good parts and take your time. Stay away from cheap phasers and always use new phaser bolts. Some folks dont know this either but the balancer bolt is also Torque to yeild and should be used to re-install the balancer only, then install the new balancer bolt. A new balancer bolt is called for but Its up to you....I didnt know when I did the same job on my mustang when I put the big cams in and had no trouble.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: